KOTOR

d8alus

Knights of the Old Republic.

Anyone else play it or are you all anti-console activists?

It's addicting, fun, replayable...well..to sum it up...I stayed up all night the other night to beat it, then took a three hour nap and started playing from the beginning again

When a game does that, you KNOW it's good!

I would give details, but I'm too tired, so if you are interested, ask..I might make it back to these forums in time to answer...if not...well, it won't be the first of my threads to wear cement shoes

actually Kiran I've followed this one a little bit. Look at screens, movies, news on the site etc...

I don't have a console so I am waiting for the PC version to come out, which will be Fall...which is retarded, since it was PC only at first...or not I can't remember.

It sounds really good. I am glad from reading your response they appear to have pulled it off.

But I assume you pulled that all nighter down the stretch to finish it...but you had a game going for a while right? How many hours in all for you the first time..

Ive read about all the light side and dark side paths or even inbetween paths you can follow, depending on choices.

one thing that concerned me is the combat, is it directly interface...meaning you push button and gun shoots or sabre swings...or is it like Final Fantasy games where you just pick a target to attack and the battle plays out on the screen...

just a little detail from you on the battle would be nice, before i make up my mind to buy it.

damn these people with these computer games!!

The battle system is like Baldur's Gate (the PC version, not Alliance). Its real time but can be paused at any time to give commands (use abilities, items etc). Its stats based, not twitch. Its very good, just like everything else about this game.

Actually, the whole game is based off of Bioware's NWN game engine. Skills, feats, combat....it's all there. The skills and feats and classes are apparently watered down/modified 3rd edition D&D rules.

As far as the all nighter...yeah, I'd been playing for around 20-30 hours already (I'm not sure how long exactly, since my save file corrupted somehow and the game timer read over 1 million hours) then pulled the all-nighter because I was on the last planet and thought I could beat it in 5 hours or so from there...it took 10...ah well, C'est La Vie..

If you never played NWN, then yes, combat is similar to Final Fantasy...but there are idle animations in combat, especially in melee, where the characters attack, block and dodge even when they aren't actually attacking just to keep up the feel of fast paced combat.

Yeah, it's getting pretty annoying with these game companies who've made their fortunes from PC gamers to snub them with first release for console or just console only (Duke Nukem comes to mind as an example).

Anyway, if you've played NeverWinter Nights there is your KOTOR. KOTOR is made by Bioware the same company that made NeverWinter Nights. I've only seen the trailer and I looked at the grass

and it's the same routine. It is an RPG just like NWN and the fight scheme is the same from what others have told me.

This is from lucasarts itself:

Force Jump

The Jedi knows that if diplomacy fails, combat must be swift and decisive. When an opponent at range is targeted with a melee attack, this feat allows Guardians to make a quick series of jumps and rolls to close the distance almost instantly. This feat is automatic when targeting opponents with a melee attack from more than 10 meters away.

Prerequisite: Jedi Guardian

You can check out more here http://www.lucasarts.com/products/swkotor/G_feats.html

I had hoped it was going to be like morrowinds kind if RPG but it's more like NWN.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

actually Kiran I've followed this one a little bit. Look at screens, movies, news on the site etc...

I don't have a console so I am waiting for the PC version to come out, which will be Fall...which is retarded, since it was PC only at first...or not I can't remember.

It sounds really good. I am glad from reading your response they appear to have pulled it off.

But I assume you pulled that all nighter down the stretch to finish it...but you had a game going for a while right? How many hours in all for you the first time..

Ive read about all the light side and dark side paths or even inbetween paths you can follow, depending on choices.

one thing that concerned me is the combat, is it directly interface...meaning you push button and gun shoots or sabre swings...or is it like Final Fantasy games where you just pick a target to attack and the battle plays out on the screen...

just a little detail from you on the battle would be nice, before i make up my mind to buy it.

damn these people with these computer games!!

[ 07-25-2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

quote:

Yeah, it's getting pretty annoying with these game companies who've made their fortunes from PC gamers to snub them with first release for console or just console only

Thats what happens when deep pockets MS or Sony comes knocking on the door and says "Does this pile of money convince you that your game only belongs on my console?".

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

quote:

Yeah, it's getting pretty annoying with these game companies who've made their fortunes from PC gamers to snub them with first release for console or just console only

Thats what happens when deep pockets MS or Sony comes knocking on the door and says "Does this pile of money convince you that your game only belongs on my console?".

Yep, I agree look what happened to Sea Dogs II when Disney came a knocking at that door the game became Pirates of the Carribean. I don't blame 'em though the money does talk I may or may not do the same thing in their shoes however I would let my pc fan base know what's the deal with the console release first. Anyway, it's still annoying .

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

KOTOR is amazing. If you have an Xbox, stop reading this and go buy it now. The combat is really cool and fun to watch. There are plenty of quests and stuff to keep you occupied for a long time. The graphics are pretty good, but not the greatest, though I love that shiny effect that armor and weapons have. Every character actually talks and the voice acting is good. I also like how each of the party members have their own little story which you can listen to if want to. I was going to wait for the PC version, but I couldn't wait another 2 months, and besides, I heard the PC version isn't going to be that much better anyway. Some games are much better on PC like Morrowind, because of the mod support, but I don't think KOTOR is going to have any of that.

I give it a 9/10.

I like NWN it's one of the very rare RPG's that I do like along with DarkStone (If anyone remembers that one) and since KOTOR is made by the same company I'm sure it's going to rock. Glad to see a 9/10 it makes the wait for the game worth it.

To me this is the best RPG for a console since they ported "Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday" to the Sega Genesis. I am just wrapping up a lightside career (37 hours) and when that final credit rolls I am going to do it all again.

This is a game done right....

anti console activist eh...before you put your energy protesting something else. anyway quite funny heh you buying an xbox just to play. if I made more money I just might justify that too...but since I don't I'll wait for the PC.

i got it on friday and have gone done the path of the light side and strayed near the darkside.

i'd say this is the best console RPG since Zelda and the X-box's best game since Halo.

this game has hooked me playing it for almost the time i wake to the time i sleep. only Halo has ever managed to do that.

my only problem is that the music doesn't sound like Star Wars(thought in some bits it does.)

console activist, Star Wars fan or not this is a game noone should miss.

I beat in all the way through on the light side. Now I'm playing it again as a female dark side character. Evidently the plot is different as a female and male. Anyway, this is one of the most fun console games I ever played. It hooked me big time. Great storyline. I like the music because it wasn't the standard cliche Star Wars music. They actually went out on a limb and did original music. It sounds good.

Well I snicker at all you console owners cause we PC gamers have one major advantage PATCHABILITY and MODABILITY in our games. So KOTOR will last quite a long time for us PC GAMERS with addons and patches while you console gamers are stuck with the version and missions you bought!

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Well I snicker at all you console owners cause we PC gamers have one major advantage PATCHABILITY and MODABILITY in our games. So KOTOR will last quite a long time for us PC GAMERS with addons and patches while you console gamers are stuck with the version and missions you bought!

that's a pretty dumb argument considering this game is X-box live compatible and i have all the platforms.