Valve sinks to new low.

Scrivener

http://www.corante.com/importance/archives/004323.html#more

For those of you who think this is 'fair', here's how most publishers handle Cafe licensing: You buy one copy of the game for each computer you will running it on. That's it.

But Valve takes it across a very distinct line - one copy per computer isn't good enough. They want royalties on top of that. Since CyberCafes aren't very profitable buisnesses to begin with, the idea is just absurd. It shouldn't matter who plays or even how many people play it in a day - there's one copy per computer and the cafes are selling time on their computers, including the legitimately purchased games installed on said computers.

Valve has been playing it dirty since they lied about HL2s status and slept with the ATI monster. But this is a new low, even for them. Before long they could start making Microsoft look like a Red Cross Soup Kitchen.

Guest Fox__Trot

The ati monster? sigh dont make me take THIS to the politics fourm ill do it just you watch

Fox "Can you hold please?" Trot

Guest kenny87

Don't know why, but I've always felt the source source code theivery was some sort of diversion/excuss as to why HL2 was going to be delayed...but thats just me

Well, there's no doubt that the source code theft has delayed HL2 further, but it would have never been out when they were saying at the time the theft took place. However the need for Valve to focus on security probably only held it back a month or two.

I'm afraid that Half-Life 2 is gonna end up vaporware or like Duke Nukem Forever. Anybody heard anything new on DNF? Did they finally can the product? Who knows. The DNF team kept pushing dates back and back, then eventually just dropped off the face of the earth. Then again, 3d Realms still hasn't closed their doors, so they must be getting money from somewhere.

Back to HL2 though... I'm skeptical of any date that Valve sets now; not to mention they kill great mods (cough)Day of Defeat(/cough) by taking out everything that makes them different and unique...

And this crap about royalties... valve is gonna get their butts kicked for this one. If I were a Microsoft or EA exec I would definitely try to jump on this one.

Guest Fox__Trot

yeah, right, Half life 2 will sell no matter what they do and they know it so just "sit down shutup and wait." simple as that im afraid

Guest kenny87

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

(cough)Day of Defeat(/cough)

Got to agree with you on that

4 hits to kill with an mp40/tommy/greasy/sten wtf?

No bleeding

Hit sprites that look like they're out of kill bill

The point and click tard fests they call british maps

Bar has become a whore weapon ala 2.0

Sucky maps.

Atmosphere...the betas had great atmosphere but valve's cock up appears to have destroyed all atmosphere.

Particle effects that can be turned off to give a HUGE advantage (no muzzleflash, explosion debris, etc)

Weak arse gun sounds, what happen to the mp40s scream?

I could on...but I won't cos I'm burning my food!

Also note that concerning CS, Gooseman (The original mastermind behind CS) decided not to go work with valve. I rememeber an interview I read on this a while back, that when Valve approached Gooseman and Jess about commercializing Counter-Strike, they already had ideas on where it will head. They didn't want to negotiate, or let Gooseman make the decisions, so rather than just be a coder with Valve, he opted to just let them take Counter-Strike from him.

I also heard a rumor that a few weeks after they acquired Day of Defeat they fired a couple members of the orginal Day of Defeat team... the article I found this in goes to mention that the presumed reason was that Valve wanted to do something with Day of Defeat that the team didn't want to (I think it began with taking the bleeding out, but ended with scrapping all the old maps.) Disclaimer: RUMOR! Unfortunately there has never been proof of this to my knowledge.

Valve is starting to shape out to be the Microsoft of gaming; although I'm sure I'll end up buying Half-Life 2 eventually (If I'll even be able to run it )

And yes, I still think that this royalty crap is BS that should never have never been created.

Actually, I just bought a 9800Pro so I probably shouldn't be complaining. I'm just mad at how Valve is conducting their buisness.

quote:

Valve is starting to shape out to be the Microsoft of gaming

More like the George Lucas of the game world. ;-[

quote:

Originally posted by:Scrivener

But Valve takes it across a very distinct line - one copy per computer isn't good enough. They want royalties on top of that. Since CyberCafes aren't very profitable buisnesses to begin with, the idea is just absurd. It shouldn't matter who plays or even how many people play it in a day - there's one copy per computer and the cafes are selling time on their computers, including the legitimately purchased games installed on said computers.

I had a friend who attempted to start one of these. Of course he couldn't run the cafe without Half-Life (Due to the massive amount of modifications and add-ons). I mean he made his best money from tournaments. Sadly he went under because of the royalties required to keep it there.

Honestly though it does make some sence. It says in the Agreement that you may not rent the game out to people. That is what he was doing. : / Oh well... I'm prepared to get slammed now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kenny87

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr. WeeGee:

Valve is starting to shape out to be the Microsoft of gaming

I wonder why....

quote:

Gabe Newell - Founder/Managing Director

Gabe held a number of positions in the Systems, Applications, and Advanced Technology divisions during his 13 years at
Microsoft.

quote:

I wonder why....

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gabe Newell - Founder/Managing Director

Gabe held a number of positions in the Systems, Applications, and Advanced Technology divisions during his 13 years at Microsoft.

lol! That explains a lot.

Yea...

Lie about the status of your product; assimilate all competition for your product; if they do not comply, hire hitmen to kill them, then cleaners to make the bodies disappear forever. Make great things un-great and similar to the rest of the market by dumbing down and changing to the point where the premise is barely there, to attract the mass 12 year olds. Finally, ignore security, its not that important....

Who was I talking about? Valve? Microsoft? You decide.

Guest kenny87

Microsoft; you didn't mention anything about Steam.

Which for some reason just started working again, so time for some Hostile Intent

• 3 weeks later...

Oh god no! No more Homeworld?! No more on the net fighting against enemy Motherships?! NO! They have done it this time..... (REalize as well that that affects some of Sierra's stuff too)

I doubt that shutting down their authentication servers for counter-strike will cause issues with Homeworld and other Sierra games. Each game most likely has its own seperate authentication server.