New video card = problems

Scrivener

This new Radeon 9800Pro is really giving me a headache. Blew my whole day trying to make it work right. First, I was getting really bad artifacting - I hypothesized that there was not enough juice from my meager 300W power supply.

I was right - I picked up a new Aspire 500W PSU. NOW, I'm having different kinds of problems. Take a look at these screenshots from Thief 3:

http://www.gamegestapo.com/BadLighting.jpg

http://www.gamegestapo.com/BadLighting2.jpg

I get the same types of problems in X2, with shadows popping and getting cut off in wierd straight lines. Any ideas on what's wrong or how to fix it?

[ 06-23-2004, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

This new Radeon 9800Pro is really giving me a headache.

Why is your profile not in your sig? If it was, we'd have been able to look at your config.

Besides, you're probably having driver problems. Which is not surprising to say the least.

I have Thief3 running on an X800 just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Scrivener:

Yup. Rolled back the drivers from version 4.5 to 4.4 and now it works fine. I thought ATI wasn't supposed to have these kinds of driver problems any more. *sigh* At least it works now. Thanks, SC.

The next time I see a post from you, if I don't see your sig info, your profile will be deleted. You KNOW the rules. NO EXCEPTIONS.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Nvidia has as many (if not MANY more over the last 2 years) issues with game bugs as ATi does. This is not a case of "I thought Ati was past this". Look at any release notes from any of the latest official and unofficial Forceware Drivers.

Give the Cat 4.7's a Whirl. They are some pretty nice drivers.