Console Haters beware: ApeXtreme

Kevin Trotter

While browsing trhough the latest edition of Game Informer, I perused an item on the ApeXtreme, PC game console. It boasts that 2000 PC games can be played on it and that patches will be downloaded and applied automatically, using a "drop and Play" technology simalar to PS2 and XBox.

Whats more unlike the Phantom, gamer's must actually buy the games the traditional way as no preloaded games are added. It is managed by a Windows XP embedded OS, has a 1.3Ghz processor and the graphics chipsets are made by none other than VIA Technology, who is also a partner with DISCover and Apex electronics.

It also plays WAV files, Divx, MP3's DVD's and most cd formats. It has a built in Ethernet conncetion and 6 USB ports to go along with S-video and phillips type connectors. It is designed for either a traditional monitor or the current TV formats.

I know how much some of you guys hate consoles, but I feel if more people who may not play PC games due to the learning curve involved are introduced to our little obsession, the better. I love PC games but am daunted by the work involved sometimes with getting them to run.

The price for this thing is 299.99 for the entry level model and 399.99 for the high end model. They were shown at CES and will ship in March. I am getting one ASAP, but I am curious what you guys think.

At best, all this would be good for is publicity, since I'm virtually certain they would not make any profit on the consoles. (The xbox costs ~$400 to make, and that's a celeron 733 with a GeForce 3. I'm guessing this is going to be $500+)

Anyways, it sounds more like vaporware to me. And even if it isnt, from what you've described, it's low-end by today's standards, and it's only going to get worse. Better to just stay with a standard PC, that you can upgrade and tweak as needed.

Caveat emptor.

quote:

Originally posted by Kartoffel:

At best, all this would be good for is publicity, since I'm virtually certain they would not make any profit on the consoles. (The xbox costs ~$400 to make, and that's a celeron 733 with a GeForce 3. I'm guessing this is going to be $500+)
Caveat emptor

You are quoting numbers from when these things first entered production, do you really think it still costs $400 bucks to make now, 2 years and a million units later? I don't think so.

Okay, $300. All I was pointing out is that M$ is NOT making a profit on the xbox. And that it would appear that this company is not going to make a profit on their console, either. And with no apparent cash flow, it would seem like this would die out very soon after it's launch, if it is indeed not vaporware.

Guest Grayfox

ok race put it in terms like this: a PC you can upgrade constantly... as soon as something new comes out for it, you can install it.

with a console, odds are heavy that you WONT be able to upgrade any of the parts. patches and what not wont mean a thing when games will start needing processors in excess of 1.3ghz to run.

a console like you described would be ok for now, but maybe a year or so in the future (if that) itll be run of the mill, or even sub-standard.

That's wonderful for all you folks with the know how but taking advice from a lot of you and upgrading and taking my rig in to be diagnosed and having three different people say three different things are the cause and I still have a number of games still unplayed . I know some of you have careers in this field and it is easy for you but not me. It would be like me trying to talk you through conducting a DSM IV/PCPC evalaution to a third party administrator on a client. Be sure to list multiple diagnosis on axis one, dont forget to include a GAF global assesment of functioning score as well as any DS9 codes to indicate current status of client functioning. Review all psychotropic administration to ensure no adverse reactions. Assess for possible self destructive behavior, and makes sure you also screen for possible detox factors. Does the client have a CIWA/IA score greater than 10, any coocuring medical conditions thatwould preclude level 4a Tx?

Does that make any sense to you? probably not. Just as some of the instructions I got from my buddies in getting my games running was Greek to me.

Look if a 1.3 ghz was dedicated to just running games would that nearly double XBox's current capacity? No background programs running no thing but gaming priorities. I JUST WANT TO PLAY, not reinvent the ****ing wheel!

Fox I understand your point, However i also realize there are a wealth of games already out that I would like to play(some of which I already own)and cant. I also think that with that much cash invloved they would have thought about the upgrade issue as well. And finally most of the people on this board are on the cutting edge of gaming, spend lots of money and time on games, and this product seems aimed at a more casual gamer who doesnt want to crack the case on thier PC every six months.Thier are people like that ,just not on this forum (except me). Besides you were supposed to look at my rig when you were in town and spent all of your time playing Halo on my CONSOLE. (ha,ha)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fox__Trot

GrayFox is evil and must die for daring to use the name fox is in his name

anywho all im saying is that the consule market can NOT support more then 2 consules going to 4 (nintendo/ms/sony/apex/and phantom) -- yes i said 4 and listed 5 -- just wont happen theres not enough money in the consule market for that..

secondly its using a version of XP -- great so am I going to have to worry about my consule catching the latest blaster wyrm??