Reality Engine (The engine that will power BCNG)

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

Hellooo..

No one is stunned to see that this is the Engine Derek was refering to in his recent interview that will be used for the Next Gen release of BC??

Now SC, don't truy and trick us. Your game isn't really gonna to look like that, we all know it.

It's not going to have the Smooching Octopus, Rent A Metrognome, Monsieur Tabac, a desert with statues, or Pepsi (It's gonna hve coke, don't worry).

It's gonna have ships, shiny stuff, stuff that goes boom, stuff that goes zap-zap, stuff that goes zoo-sshhh, and....uh? OH! Those are pictures of other games!? How much do that cost? LOL

• 5 weeks later...

Well, its official. Epic have acquired the Reality Engine. I suppose rather than compete (as if competing with DOOM3 wasn't bad enough), they just bought them out.

This doesn't affect us, since we already have a license to use RE in any project (not just BCNG) going forward.

My post from elsewhere on the Net

quote:

SquirrelZero is right, if my phone was ringing off the hook based on news I wasn't privvy to, I'd be frigging running out butt nekid looking for the mofo pulling a cruel joke.

Then when reality - and common sense (whatever is left of it) - sinks in, you go figure out what the **** is going on.

Like SquirrelZero, we've been around even before RE had teeth and the guys (Tim, Jeremy et al) are pretty cool guys.

Despite what the Epic press release says, existing licensees (like us), can still continue using the engine but not to expect any further updates I don't think.

Its kinda weird, but being a developer - and knowing how Epic are not notorious for screwing people - I'm quite certain that behind-the-scenes actions will sort this out for existing licensees.

Not to be facetious or anything, but IMO this buyout doesn't have **** all to do with Tim Johnson's [unquestionable] talent. My take is that Epic just got scared and decided to buy out the *really* small guy, bring that talent+technology in house (as part of the deal) and [probably] not further saturate the mainstream middleware license arena (DOOM3, NetImmerse, GameBryo, Renderware, Virtools). Its easier to buy one rung on the ladder - especially given the price of RE when compared to those other engines - than it is the others higher up the ladder.

If Tim and Jeremy made out like bandits, good for them. Running a company while developing an engine (which is essentially what you're doing if your are licensing technologies) is not exactly a good match. So, if Tim wants to continue being a "developer" instead of a businessman, then this is the right way to go. Especially if the price is right; as I'm sure that it was because, knowing him, there is no way he would have done this without some substantial benefit.

This is only the beginning. EA bought Criterion and pretty much locked up GameByro and RenderWare. A bunch of others (e.g. Intrinsic) have gone under and the rest are struggling.

[ 05-12-2005, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

It would have been a nightmare for you developers using this engine if Epic bought the license lock stock and barrel (including prior control over previous license signees). What would you have done if that were the case and had to stop all development based on it? Egads, I don't even wanna think about.

Wow, I love the comparison chart for the Reality Engine. It makes it more of a shame about the selling of it to Epic.

quote:

Epic will not continue sales or support of the Reality Engine, but certain aspects of the engine might find their way into the Unreal Engine. Developers who have licensed the Reality Engine will receive a discount on an Unreal Engine 3 license if they choose to upgrade.

Heh, so there's the catch. Sure you guys who already have the RE license can still use what you have but any current bugs in it you'll have to live with but hey we will give you a price break if you downgrade (I like their use of the word Upgrade. look at the chart.) to the Unreal Engine 3.

quote:

Jesus, people. I don't understand, after this long, why you still can't figure out that the engine has almost nothing to do with the graphics on the game

I understand that the graphics in a game like models and architecture are dependant on the person's skill making them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that these commercial engines like RE and Unreal have the graphics engine and the game engine incorpotated into them. I'm only going by a program I was tinkering with some time ago called OGRE (an open source graphics engine) and what you use as the game engine was up to you.

I just hope this doesn't affect your development using the engine. I'm not gonna speak of engines because I know nothing of programming, but I hope like some bug doesn't exist in the engine, as I read some part that you would not be privy to updates to the engine...

peace always

oh I read the article you quoted.... you get updates... haha good move buying them before woohoo.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Heh, so there's the catch. Sure you guys who already have the RE license can still use what you have but any current bugs in it you'll have to live with but hey we will give you a price break if you downgrade (I like their use of the word Upgrade. look at the chart.) to the Unreal Engine 3.

uhm no. Did you actually read Tim's Johnson's post above?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

uhm no. Did you actually read Tim's Johnson's post above?

Yes indeed I did. Well actually it was Jeremy Stieglitz post I read. Now I'm confused:

quote:

The forum will stay alive, tutorials will continue to be written, and bug fix updates will continue to be released to the licensed developers.

Jeremy Stieglitz

Artificial Studios

But according to the Developmentally Challenged article you posted:

quote:

Epic will not continue sales or support of the Reality Engine, but certain aspects of the engine might find their way into the Unreal Engine. Developers who have licensed the Reality Engine will receive a discount on an Unreal Engine 3 license if they choose to upgrade.

And the Gamasutra article:

quote:

The Reality Engine is a general purpose middleware solution encompassing rendering technology, physics simulation, scripting and programming, networking and artificial intelligence. Epic has purchased the Reality Engine outright, including intellectual property rights, trademarks, and copyrights.

Epic now owns RE and they are saying that they won't sell or support it meanwhile Jeremy

Stieglitz says that it will be supported. Doesn't bug fixes fall under the category of Support?