How to spend $20

Matchoo

I'm looking for a new game to play, but I don't want to spend more than $20. There are a few I have been considering. I've searched the forums here and read reviews at other places, and they tend to get mixed results. So if you could pick one game from the list below, what would you pick and why? Also if you have other suggestions feel free to list them.

1. Tribes : Vengeance (I've had no experience with the series)

2. Homeworld 2 (Played the demo. It was pretty fun)

3. Freelancer (Never played, just read reviews and it sounds fun)

4. X2 - The Threat (I've had no experience with the series)

5. Thief 3 (Payed Thief 2, great game)

quote:

Originally posted by Matchoo:

I'm looking for a new game to play, but I don't want to spend more than $20. There are a few I have been considering. I've searched the forums here and read reviews at other places, and they tend to get mixed results. So if you could pick one game from the list below, what would you pick and why? Also if you have other suggestions feel free to list them.

1. Tribes : Vengeance (I've had no experience with the series)

2. Homeworld 2 (Played the demo. It was pretty fun)

3. Freelancer (Never played, just read reviews and it sounds fun)

4. X2 - The Threat (I've had no experience with the series)

5. Thief 3 (Payed Thief 2, great game)

1: A lot like Unreal. Good game but you are better off playing the Unreal series.

2: The first one was great. Played the demo on the second also but never got around to picking that one up. Seemed pretty good though.

3: Same, never played it.

4: I've only played the first one X: Beyond the frontier. I liked that one. Never played the follow ups.

5:I love the thief series. Still, the first one was the better, IMO. The third one had a little more of the creepy factor which I liked.

I'll stick with what I've played series wise. Homeworld2 or Thief 3 would be your best bet. I would slant more towards Homeworld2 because of it's multiplayer giving it a longer life span game wise.

Thief 3 is amazing, if a little more consolized than 2.

You really can't go wrong with Freelancer or Homeworld -absolutely stellar games. (Freelancer had some stilted dialogue and repetitive missions, but it is still great imo.)

I might suggest max payne or its sequel for some really cheap, insanely fun shooting action. The self-aware cheesey noir style and the brilliant action sequences are top-notch.

Tribes V has a good single player campaign, but there is huge controversy surrounding its multiplayer. Quite an infamous title, that one.

Other cheap but awesome games - Medieval Total War(RTS), Far Cry(one of the best FPS's ever), and Freedom Force (Superhero RPG).

I agree, Thief III is good fare. some excelent sound design and well... the voice acting isn't half vbad either Does a very nice job of tying down the thief trilogy.

Well, it started when the hardcore Tribes community (and you don't know the meaning of "hardcore" until you saw the Tribes community) almost universally panned the game because of the changes Irrational made to the gameplay and style, as well as some touted features that were not in the boxed copy (but were promised in a future patch). The blood in the water mentality was widespread and contagious, and before you knew it, the game was dead before it ever had a chance. The constant drubbing the game received killed it at retail - it sold abysmally.

Because of the utter commercial failure it ended up being, Vivendi stopped all work on the massive patch that Irrational had been working on to get the game to where it needed to be, (and more complete), inciting near-riots on the Tribes community forums about the evil developer and publisher who ripped the paying customers off, etc. etc. etc.

Heck, there was even talk about a lawsuit by some of the people who did buy it and felt Vivendi stole their money by releasing it unfinished and cancelling the patch.

In reality the game was nowhere near as bad as the hardcore Tribes "fans" made it out to be, and as I mentioned before, the singleplayer portion was solid and entertaining.

I wonder if SC knows anything else about what went on, as I imagine he pays attention to these sorts of things.

Wow, didn't know anything about that. I have the game but haven't played it online just the single player. You are correct about the single player. The reason I never went multi is because it was a lot like the unreal tournament so I just play that one multiplayer.

Explains why it flopped at retail. I wondered about that but never looked into it.

Thanks.

Well.. if they hadn't whined and {insert curse word here} then perhaps the company would not have canceled the patch

Personally, I loved the game. I played those before and this one to and I never saw any problem with it. Guess that's because I'm a little more open to new changes than most

Homeworld 2 is a very good game, and some of the mod's for it are equally as good, bringing more life into the game

X2 - The Threat is excellent. Well... if you upgrade to 1.4 it is. In 1.4 the AI is a HELL of a lot more challenging, and the plot is more hectic than previously

Thief 3 was an assume game. I loved it; when I bought Thief 1 I was rather young and it scared the liveing crude out of me

But Thief 3 did worse, so much that I changed my drawers on several occasions. It's not a game for the light of heart (But then again, nor is FEAR)

Freelancer was a disappointment. As someone who played the pre-quael, Starlancer, I was really disappointed to see what this game was:

No more where the battles when the Coalition and the Alliance. Originally the battle was suppose to be against a new Alien Race that was depicted in the original Starlancer at the end of the last mission (You had to do something to get the scene, but after so many year's I forgot what you needed to do)

But, those idiots at Microsoft scrapped that idea (THE GAME WAS NEARING COMPLETION!!!!) and restarted the damn project.. took an extra.. six months I think?

Overral, the game was a disappointment. But the graphics are good, sound is good, and the story line is ok, but it's not a gold winner like the one in X2 and X3

Well I downloaded the demo for Freelancer just to give it try before I decide, and I have to say that it is fun so far. It gave me a few missions from the start of the game to try, and when I was done, instead of saying thanks for playing and please buy the retail version to try anything else, it just let me go ahead and explore, taking on new missions at the bars if I wanted. I think the demo alone could keep me busy for a while.

Thanks for all your replies. It helps out knowing what others with some of the same tastes think of games.

Unreal & Return to Na Pali - Great games

Unreal 2 - Not as good as the first but OK (IMO)

Max Payne 1 - Loved it

Farcry - Loved it, played it a few nights ago

I played all the versions of Tribes and while I probably played the first one more than the two sequels, I enjoyed them all. It was one of those games where if you had a good balanced/coordinated team no other online FPS could touch it IMHO (and that inculdes the original Unreal Tournament.)

I downloaded the demo for X2 a few days ago, and I have to say that I am leaning more towards X2 than Freelancer now. To me, it looks like X2 has a much more complicated menu system and the ships are harder to control, but the ability to purchase and build your own stations is pretty cool. Also X2 seems to have a larger variation of jobs to accept. Not having the multiplayer is a drawback, though. Originally I was looking at Freelancer for the 1st person ship control or Homeworld 2 for the build-your-own-fleet ability, but it looks like X2 combines the best of both worlds.

If you like sub sims, you should try Hunter-killer by EA. It is really kick ass and though dated graphics wise, it is a complex, challenging, experience and you should be able to get it for a lot less than 20 bucks. Be prepared for a steep learning curve.HW2 is a worthy sucessor if that kind of game floats your boat. Played Tribes, but i like Unreal a lot better, simply a matter of personal taste.

Good Luck

I was looking in the stores for a copy of X2 (I could get it from D2D, but I decided I'd rather just have the boxed version) and I couldn't find it, but I did find a copy of Freelancer so I decided to buy it and give the full version a try. It doesn't have some of the features X2 has, but I think the multiplayer ability will make up for it.