AMD may buy ATI

cutterjohn

From the speculation department:

According to this article on Ars Technica, Intel employees have been telling people that AMD may be in the process of acquiring ATI.

If this is true, this would be quite interesting, especially since ATI began to produce their own chipsets primarily for AMD based boards(and batardized Intel versions) along with nVidia which has been doing the same for quite some time.

I wonder if that is why nVidia purchased ULI earlier. But I guess if it DOES happen AMD will definitely be an ATI world.

It makes a lot of sense if they were to in fact do that. Intel got too big for its breeches, over extended themselves and caused all manner of rubbish in the chain.

The nVidia purchase of ULi had nothing to do with this actually. They just wanted to prevent ATI from having a viable Crossfire bridge. Bastards.

Good point. I, erm, actually have a friend who's been stuck working on desig of Intel GPUs ATM. (He seems to think that they're going to pull off something halfway decent sometime soonish, that or he's just pulling the company line. I never understood why he hasn't left Intel... Maybe Intel WILL be buying nVidia...)

Prior to that he was on the good ship Itanic, and appearance ARE correct wrt Itanic is was FUBARred by a design-by-committee process where everyone got to promote their stupid idea and sink the good ones.

Conroe IS looking to be a HOT core though, and I truly suspect K8Ls potential performance gains...