AI co-processor card...

cutterjohn

Here we go again, boys and girls:

Yet another piece of hardware to supposedly improve AI performance this time.

In a quick look, I didn't see anything regarding pricing I didn't see a thing, but I'd expect another $300 or so card, considering the Ageia card and that "killer" "NIC".

I guess that these guys can't suck enough money out of companies licensing their libraries without adding on a piece of hardware which they can grossly markup the price with.

I'm sticking with my story, if anything kills PC gaming it's going to be the coprocessor card surcharge, which so far have failed to show any value whatsoever.

(Not to mention that just about every new mb that I've seen has at most 3 PCI slots, some even have only 1 or 2... and I've yet to see any real peripherals that use PCIe x1, x4, or x8 slots(discounting SLI'ed GPUS). I did see that there is a GPU that is x1, but I never bothered to look at it's specs...)

I just can't wait to the uber 1337 gfx effects co-processor... followed by the gold farming co-processor.

quote:

Originally posted by cutterjohn:

I'm sticking with my story, if anything kills PC gaming it's going to be the coprocessor card surcharge, which so far have failed to show any value whatsoever.

...and you figured this how exactly? Did it occur to you that gamers don't have to buy these cards? And whether they do or don't, how does that kill PC gaming?

Back when Adlib was the only sound add-in card - which carried a surcharge, how did that kill PC gaming?

Back when 3DFX was the only graphics card add-in worth having and which carried a surcharge, how did that kill PC gaming?

Back when internal modems replaced external modems - both of which carried a surcharge - how did that kill PC gaming when mp became the norm?

Stop being an alarmist and just employ common sense. Nobody asked to you buy any add-on card. And I can't think of any reason why any game would exclusively require an add-in physics, NIC or AI add-in card. We're not talking sound and video here, which are the primary components of any hardcore gaming rig.