BCM 1.0.08 RC patches. Discuss!!

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Viper2000:

What did u do SC!?! This game runs perfect on my comp now. Ive not had one CTD or any other type of lock up since I installed the patch.

Nice work

I didn't do anything. You simply did what every sane person does around here: applied the patch properly

• 1 month later...

About the 1.0.08 RC32 Patch... What can I say...

I applied it and no more crashes, no more hangups during resume, just smooth gaming!!!

SC that sound system revision you did, really did the trick for me.

We love your games, and the way you take care of them!

Keep up the good work!!!

(although I know you didn't expect from ME to tell you to keep it up)

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

...and mp is gonna rock

I have this feeling that BCM's MP will be much harder than in other games. Players from all the world, having developed gaming skills and techniques all this time, eventually will face each other.

GALCOM, we've got trouble...

Working sound on an SBLive! It's a miracle!

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be much visibly different. But...has the hyperdrive been modified? The hyper transit time for the Firestorm appears to have been increased to 180s, and rather than hyping to 999999... m/s it accelerates smoothly until the midpoint, at which point it decelerates at the same rate. The worrying part is that ships (mine and the AI's) can now be locked on to with missiles and damaged while in hyperspace. Is this a permanent change, or am I the victim of some very weird bug?

On the other hand, I did get to scrag an enemy Firestorm while it was still about 10s away from phasing in...it looked extremely cool.

quote:

Originally posted by ToxicFrog:

But...has the hyperdrive been modified? The hyper transit time for the Firestorm appears to have been increased to 180s, and rather than hyping to 999999... m/s it accelerates smoothly until the midpoint, at which point it decelerates at the same rate.

Did you see any such entry in the VCF?

quote:

But...has the hyperdrive been modified? The hyper transit time for the Firestorm appears to have been increased to 180s, and rather than hyping to 999999... m/s it accelerates smoothly until the midpoint, at which point it decelerates at the same rate.

Is this a permanent change, or am I the victim of some very weird bug?[/qb]

Explanation, Part I

HJ transit time is constant. THat is, the time is the same wether you're jumping a distance of 1000km or 1000000000000km. (180 seconds in a Firestorm.)

If you jump at a short distance (barely far enough to be able to hyper), then your apparant speed seems to be slower than a usual jump of a long distance, because it's traversing a much smaller distance, but takes the same amount of time to do it.

That's a pretty simple explanation, I think.

Explanation, Part II

Here's some more, though:

Time is constant, instead of speed.

You know, r = (d/t); rate = distance / time

In everyday use, rate (or speed; mph or kph) is constant (in this example). You'll use the t=d/t version of the formula to get time, since that isn't the constant here. If you went 40 miles at 80 mph, then you'd have spent half an hour going.

On the other hand, the speed is determined by the distance and time, since you already have the transit time predetermined in Hyperspace. Using r=d/t, pretending you're going to a body 42000000km away, and you're going to take 180 seconds, you'll end up going 233333k/s on average. Since BCM accelerates until halfway, and decelerates after, then the numbers will tick up until a certain point, and count back down. That number would end up being several times larger than 233333 (I'm not in the mood to make it exact).

So anyway, BCM caps off the displayed speed at a certain speed like 169999 or whatnot. (Not even sure if that's close, since I haven't paid attention to that in a while.) If the current speed of the ship is above that, then it'll display that. If not, then it'll display the actual. This means that unless you're hyperjumping short, you'll always see that number through most of the transit. So, you probably thought that that number changed or something. Well, guess what? That number's a cap, and you've really been going much faster than that, and that's not your HJ speed. (YOu don't have a set HJ speed, remember?)

There is no HJ speed, so the HJ speed couldn't have been changed. It's HJ Transit Time; look it up in the appendix, for the ship stats.

Confused? Then forget Part II and only pay attention to Part I.

Way too much time on my hands, and way too much Mt. Dew. (This post kinda reminds me of that Engineering 101 thread in RP, ages ago. )

[ 01-10-2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

OK, apparently I suffered a minor neural meltdown and got the Firestorm HJ stats confused with those of the Aestrom.

Nova: did I ever say "hyperdrive speed"? I understand how the hyperdrive behaves, I just assumed that it displayed 999999... in every hyperjump regardless of the ship's current velocity. I also assumed that it accelerated massively and then flew at a constant speed until a few seconds before unhyping. Clearly I should stop posting while only partly awake.

However, this still doesn't answer the main thrust of my question: should ships under hyperdrive be killable? I don't remember seeing this before RC32, but on the other hand, it's not in the VCF and I hardly ever see ships making "short" jumps. It could well be that while making long jumps ships move too fast to be accurately fired upon. In any case, I've seen three AI ships destroyed by ODS fire whiel in hyperspace, and I've been hit with a missile myself while jumping. Is this a feature that I haven't noticed until now, or a bug? The manual implies that ships cannot be harmed while in hyperspace, but doesn't say it outright...

Assumptions can lead to a lot of confusion in the long run. Lots of us have had run-ins with the SC for that reason.

quote:

However, this still doesn't answer the main thrust of my question: should ships under hyperdrive be killable? I don't remember seeing this before RC32, but on the other hand, it's not in the VCF and I hardly ever see ships making "short" jumps. It could well be that while making long jumps ships move too fast to be accurately fired upon. In any case, I've seen three AI ships destroyed by ODS fire whiel in hyperspace, and I've been hit with a missile myself while jumping. Is this a feature that I haven't noticed until now, or a bug?

Nothing's changed. It's been that way since BCM v1.0.00.

I'd say that they should be destroyable, because of issues of ships with short HJ recharge rates and such. And for the fact that engaging enemies is different when factoring that in. Maybe from a scientific or technical standpoint you shouldn't be able to be damaged in hyperspace, but it's a game, so 1) simulation of realistic stuff isn't important, and 2) that's the way it's been (and I assume all of us here are comfortable with the current thing), then "why fix it if it ain't broken"?

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Woo...

Been away for a bit, just noticed the infamous Sygan Triangle's been fixed.

The mystery was fun while it lasted. Now I'll have to load up and go try to find the ships I lost there.

Good work, SC.

Idaho

Hey where've you been?!?! You missed out on a lot of fun.....and as usual, controversy

Yeah, that Sygan Triangle problem was a real problem. It was as difficult to reproduce reliably as it was to fix. Had to implement a whole new camera system (from BCG) to solve it.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Hey where've you been?!?! You missed out on a lot of fun.....and as usual, controversy

Yeah, that Sygan Triangle problem was a real problem. It was as difficult to reproduce reliably as it was to fix. Had to implement a whole new camera system (from BCG) to solve it.

Have been busy with real life issues...(I know you know just how annoying real life issues can be ).

I can't wait to go visit Sygan, though, hoping to get a chance to have a looksee tomorrow. Looks like lots of changes will greet me, (I just checked, I'm still using 1.0.0.7, so I've missed a lot of cool updates heheh).

Can't wait to play though, now that I have some time on my hands again. See ya man!

Idaho

Well, a week of play, not one crash, bug or glitch to be seen. In fact, I've stopped looking, and gotten down to the business of enjoying myself in the vasty reaches of space...and stuff.

Nice work, SC, a thousand thank you's for your dedication to your vision.

Idaho

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Well, a week of play, not one crash, bug or glitch to be seen. In fact, I've stopped looking, and gotten down to the business of enjoying myself in the vasty reaches of space...and stuff.

Nice work, SC, a thousand thank you's for your dedication to your vision.

Idaho

I also am crashless for weeks! Is it me or is the AI better? Marine careers seem much more challenging of late.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of minor issues I have noted - perhaps someone would like to verify them.

1) I still see negative inventory amounts at Starstations. I don't really see this as a problem except for the facts that the VFC says it is fixed, and that as soon as I sell the station one unit of any negative item, the count goes it zero (i.e. -517 + 1 = 0)

2) I can extract mining drones no matter how far away they are on the moon. I set Deploy Drone waypoints for my 4 shuttles spread across Phobos. Later I land a shuttle with my AE aboard on Phobos, and can instantly extract any of the drones. It's very convenient, but slightly irritating since everything else feels so realistic!

I am running 1.0.08RC33, and have re-installed the game with this patch, so there should not be any oddities left from the previous installation (1.0.07).