UCAWA 1.00.11 Patch Released

Supreme Cmdr

Much better!

I'm running an Audigy 2, and at first I got no sound in my rear speakers and what I did get in front was choppy. It turned out that I still had hardware acceleration turned off because of prior framerate problems with Audigy acceleration. I turned hardware acceleration back up to full acceleration and I get full 5.1 surround sound and high framerates. So, you either fixed the acceleration problem or bypassed it with your optimizations.

However, I'm also seeing the same thing that Ben is, in that sounds are just as loud whether I'm right there or zoom waaaay out in F9 views.

On another subject, I noticed in the last patch (could have been there earlier) that if I hyperjump to a ship on the other side of the region and switch to an F9 inverse tactical view (or any F9/F10 view for that matter), I still see the hyperjump effects from my ship's perspective even though the camera is centered on the target ship on the other side of the region. Is that the way it is supposed to work? It seems odd in an F10 inverse view where my target and its target are in the view, but my hyperjump effect is overlaid.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

So, you either fixed the acceleration problem or bypassed it with your optimizations.

I didn't fix or bypass anything. I implemented a new audio engine that does not use DirectSound. Read the VCF please.

quote:

However, I'm also seeing the same thing that Ben is, in that sounds are just as loud whether I'm right there or zoom waaaay out in F9 views.

Read what I wrote because I'm not going to repeat it. It works fine and exactly as it should.

quote:

On another subject, I noticed in the last patch (could have been there earlier) that if I hyperjump to a ship on the other side of the region and switch to an F9 inverse tactical view (or any F9/F10 view for that matter), I still see the hyperjump effects from my ship's perspective even though the camera is centered on the target ship on the other side of the region. Is that the way it is supposed to work? It seems odd in an F10 inverse view where my target and its target are in the view, but my hyperjump effect is overlaid.

Hasn't changed since it was implemented. If either one of you is in hyperspace, you will see the effect.

I've been trying to patch to v. 1.00.11 using the updater software. (I have the trymedia download version of UCAWA).

I get the message that an update is available, however when I try to proceed I get the error message - File 3000AD Game Patches not Found.

When I click on More the message reads:

The file is not available on the server. Please contact the developer of Universal Combat a World Apart to solve this problem.

Any help would be appreciated. (would love to hear the new sound FX I've been reading about!)

Thanks!

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

Well, I thought you'd be happy to hear that the Audigy 2 framerate problem seems to have corrected itself, then, but I guess I was wrong.

Yes, you were wrong. I already knew that during evaluation and before I finally switched audio engines. And there are others (including myself) who have that audio card. Given the date/time of your response, if there were any issues prior, it would have been posted about.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Jack:

I've been trying to patch to v. 1.00.11 using the updater software. (I have the trymedia download version of UCAWA).

I get the message that an update is available, however when I try to proceed I get the error message - File 3000AD Game Patches not Found.

The file is not available on the server. Please contact the developer of Universal Combat a World Apart to solve this problem.

Any help would be appreciated. (would love to hear the new sound FX I've been reading about!)

Thanks!

There no patches yet for the TryMedia version. Nothing to do with us. I will check with them today to see what the deal is. What version of the game do you have installed?

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Jack:

Thanks!

Using their SDK, I have built a patch for this version. I have NO idea if it will work or not. So, before you run the Updater, please backup the files listed below.

LANGUAGE.LNG

UCAWA.EXE

UCAWAMP.EXE

After patching, run the game. If it does not work, revert the backup files and let me know what error message you got or if you were able to patch to 1.00.11 successfuly or not.

I did the update & it seems to work like a charm. My slug PC couldn't quite deal with the swarm of ships and missiles in the test scenario but during the short time I was alive it sounded great!

I don't have my 5.1 surround speakers hooked up at the moment but the difference even on headphones was amazing.

Watching the PTA turrets blast away with the new sound FX really add to the overall experience.

Thanks for the help with the patch, I appreciate it.

I know I'm a bit late, just saw the update (RL can get really busy sometimes).

This new sound system addition is a definite must-download. The improvement is more than obvious even while in the main menu. Battle Test runs pretty smooth even at 1280x1024 with AA 2x/AF normal. Zooming upon any city on Earth via TACOPS gave me the final blast, since I got no looping sounds, nothing. Just a smooth transition over the city.

In general terms we're talking about at least 100% performance boost.

I've been reading that upcoming 3000AD games would be using an updated sound engine. TBH, I was hoping that it might be deployed somewhat earlier and be implemented on UCAWA hehe.

Many thanks to SC for this addition

hehe, Apollo you're always last to the party.

Anyway, yeah, I wasn't going to implement it in UCAWA. But then I figured that you folks are the ones who keep us in business, so, of course I did what usually comes naturally. I just went ahead and implemented it. The engine itself costs $4K. So thats like 250 unit sales of the game to pay for it. Then my time in implementing it which was like three days. It adds up. But I'm sure I'll get it out of you folks at some point.

I have discovered a bug in the FMOD engine related to playback of some sound files. e.g. when playing the EFM, firing the XN32 produces no sounds. And when you quit, the game will terminate (crash with an exception) instead of returning to the main menu. This seems to affect most fp weapon sounds.

I am now working with them on a fix which I will immediately roll into a new patch asap.