Fatal CTD with AG when intruders are transported

I have reproduced (after much hacking and slashing) a CTD issue using Chavis saved game from this thread

It is related to when AG (Auto-Generation) is fired and additional intruders need to be beamed over to the CC. i.e. AG ships usually send more than one wave of intruders in each [intruder send] pass.

The reason this CTD was random is because the instances under which intruders are transported and indeed the number of intruder passes to do, are both random. So, it is very difficult to reproduce.

This is a CAT1 bug (since AG is a critical component of ROAM scenario) so I am currently working on rolling out a patch within the hour to send to the testers. It should be released to the public by tomorrow. Until then, use the standard non-AG Roam scenario.

[ 09-06-2005, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 3 weeks later...

I've experienced a similar issue that might be related to this.

I've noticed that sometimes when switching to Perscan when there are intruders or prisoners on board that I get a CTD with an unhandled exception error. It *might* be related to the fact I run at 1280x1024 which sounds ridiculous but let me explain.

I've noticed that unlike running at 1024x768 where the Perscan display gets split into two columns and you can see all intruders and their location, this never happens with 1280x1024. The display remains a single column and sometimes I can't see the intruder list, just a line indicating how many there are, but no locations. Usually I can see up to three or so intruders, but this isn't always the case. Recently I only had one intruder and I couldn't see their location. It's a minor problem and doesn't appear to cause the CTD.

I also notice what appears to be up and down arrows as if I could scroll the intruder section, but they don't seem to do anything.

On the last CTD when I went to check Perscan because I had intruders I caught a glimpse of the screen before it CTD'd and I noticed the intruder's were now prisoners, but because of the screen res the prisoner section was pushed below the normal viewing area. In other words I saw that there were prisoners, but the section that displayed it was outside the gold colored frame of the display. I only had a split second to see it, but that's definitely what it looked like. So I think the issue is more related to intruders being made prisoners and would only occur when trying to view Perscan at 1280x1024.

Now I could play at 1024 and see if the issue continues if you'd like. I use 1280 since I run an LCD that uses that res as native, and it looks SO much better

P.S. I sent an email about not being able to update my reg profile for UCAWA, but the info I have in the other product reg (for UC I think) is accurate except for the Vid card, I'm running Cat 5.8's.

quote:

I've noticed that sometimes when switching to Perscan when there are intruders or prisoners on board that I get a CTD with an unhandled exception error.

I have experienced the same problem.But it is very intermittent.

I have no idea wtf you folks are talking about. The problem does not exist in UC. And it only existed in UCAWA because of a code revision I made to handle intruders. The issue is fixed - there's nothing intermittend about it - and there's nothing further to discuss.

And common sense should dictate that if the problem was only recently fixed in the game, then more than likely it exists in the demo, which is based on Beta code.

The next person to ressurect a dead thread without concrete evidence and a problem that can be 100% reproduced, is getting banned.

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

I've noticed that sometimes when switching to Perscan when there are intruders or prisoners on board that I get a CTD with an unhandled exception error.

I've played for a few hours the last couple of days. It does seem to be somewhat related to viewing Perscan as intruders become prisoners and either you have resized/stretched the intruder/prisoner list, or are in the middle of doing so, or have the mouse on or around the area or something.

I made a save game just as intruders came on board, then hung around on Perscan while the intruders were killed/captured. And reloaded and retried a few times. Because you never know if intruders will be killed or taken prisoner, and exactly what UI manipulations cause the crash, it's hard to reproduce, but it did crash on occasion.

So, I've given up on figuring it out. Now I simply save the game right when intruders come on board, and if it crashes I haven't lost much. Also, I avoid manipulating the lists in Perscan (by dragging the lists larger/smaller).

Hopefully this advice will help anyone that experiences this on their own machines (or help them avoid the problem).

Since I have taken this more careful approach, the game hasn't crashed once...

quote:

Originally posted by TSCavalier:

quote:

Originally posted by Cc:

quote:

I've played for a few hours the last couple of days. It does seem to be somewhat related to viewing Perscan as intruders become prisoners and either you have resized/stretched the intruder/prisoner list, or are in the middle of doing so, or have the mouse on or around the area or something.

I made a save game just as intruders came on board, then hung around on Perscan while the intruders were killed/captured. And reloaded and retried a few times. Because you never know if intruders will be killed or taken prisoner, and exactly what UI manipulations cause the crash, it's hard to reproduce, but it did crash on occasion.

So, I've given up on figuring it out. Now I simply save the game right when intruders come on board, and if it crashes I haven't lost much. Also, I avoid manipulating the lists in Perscan (by dragging the lists larger/smaller).

Hopefully this advice will help anyone that experiences this on their own machines (or help them avoid the problem).

Since I have taken this more careful approach, the game hasn't crashed once...

If it can't be reproduced, there's no point harping about it because it can't be fixed.

Your posts which reek of I can't remember this etc and which are related to UC and the UCAWA demo and which bear NO relevance to this thread, have been deleted. Your last post will also be deleted.

Second of all, this thread is completely unrelated to what you are talking about. The specifics as to what was causing the UCAWA crash with a certain number of intruders, is clearly documented in the VCF and has been fixed.

If Grizzle (or anyone else) has clear reproducible evidence that manipulating the Perscan display at certain resolutions causes a CTD, then a new thread needs to be created so that it can be investigated.