A return to the old days....

Remember when I said that I wanted to do a space shooter that goes back to the old days? Then I tried to get the Freespace 3 license because thats one of my favorite series? Remember the [stupid] outcry from those basement developer-wannabes and general anti-social gits who think that their crap has any basis in reality?

Remeber when I said, fine fu.gif and said that I'd just do my own?

Well, we've been working on it since and even though FiringSquad got a quick word out, the official announcement and about 100+ shots, along with an interview, will be out on Monday. Those shots are nothing. I'm saving the best for last. Trust me.

GALCOM = my awesome space & planetary technology + fast paced space/planetary combat featuring a single career (EFP)

[ 12-04-2006, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

w00t!!!!!! Can't wait to learn more on Monday SC.

I really like the design of the Engstrom class. Is there any possibility we'll see it again in either UCO or the next Battlecruiser game. (Although I now notice that there isn't a forum for the BC game you were using the Reality engine for. Did you dump that project and I just missed it?)

The Engstrom is a new experimental attack carrier that is a cross between a cruiser and a carrrier and is GALCOM's most powerful to date. It makes it debut in a conflict against the Insurgents in this first episode of the game.

Since GALCOM only features the EFP career, no, you never get to command it. And it is highly unlikely that it will appear in any future non-GALCOM games.

BC Next Gen (working title) is still very much on the drawing board, but as far as PC titles go, it is a ways off because the GALCOM series, UCO and our XBOX360 title, KnightBlade are what we're doing between 2007-2009.

Both XB360 games are still very much on track. Scroll down the forum and you'll see the dev section. The forums were re-arranged yesterday.

Rock on; disappointed that we can't command it, but still looks absolutely awesome.

Glad to hear BCNG is still in production. Since I don't have a 360 I've been anxiously waiting more news on that for a while. I'll have to get a 360 for Knightblade.

Actually those 720p screen shots just don't do it justice. It looks so much better with the revamped graphics, lighting etc when you're actually playing the game.

Wait'll you see the COCKPITS!!!!!!! You'll wet yourself. Hopefully we can get them fully integrated in a few weeks, at which time I will release some shots. We've got cockpits for ALL of the 24 fighters in the game, though you only get to fly the Starlance in Episode 1, though you can choose from any fighter in multiplayer.

BCNG is my next 'labor of love' project, so I'm not exactly in a hurry to release it. In fact, I'd be surprised if it appears before 2010. Right now, I'm focused on lighter fare (GALCOM and KnightBlade) while UCO will keep the BC/UC junkies going for a good many years I think.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

... COCKPITS!!!!!!! ...

Damnit SC! Now I've got to eat ramen for a few weeks so my college budget will be able to afford this!

I haven't been this excited about a classic style space shooter in a long time.

Below are screen caps of the ICMK1 and Starlance cockpits. They are WIP, hence the reason not all of the elements are in the correct place etc. But they will give you an idea of what to expect. Apart from the two MFDs, all the data is going to be superimposed over the 3D cockpit in order to simulate the data being in the pilot's eyepiece

IC MK1 cockpit

Starlance cockpit

If you want to monitor the development, you can keep track of where we are by reading the game's dev VCF which I have now made available. I update it when major items are done and like all my notes, is very easy to follow.

Topic moved btw, since the game is not yet released. Looks I created it in the wrong category.

whee... downloading now I go run off and don't check the forum for a few days and look what happens

Well thats intriguing... looks like the asteroid fields are back in those screenshots.... does this mean debris fields might be coming too?

[ 12-02-2006, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Eclipse ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

whee... downloading now I go run off and don't check the forum for a few days and look what happens

Well thats intriguing... looks like the asteroid fields are back in those screenshots.... does this mean debris fields might be coming too?

Methinks you haven't been exploring the galaxy enough...

Looking nice, SC, can't wait to see them in action.

that's the starcruiser. Been there since UC, yep

quote:

assigned to IIS starstation in orbit Titan,

I'm honoured that you are basing this game on my home station, but could you correct that little typo, just for me

Yeah, I'm hoping so too. It all depends on MS really. They're getting real finicky about games on the XB360 that also appear on the PC. Can't say I blame them; when all you want to do is sell consoles.

Even so, I have a pretty good relationship with MS, so IF it does get concept approved, I could work something out whereby the PC version comes out after (like a year) the XB360 version. Dunno. Its all up in the air atm but I'll keep you folks posted.

btw, I updated the WIP Starlance cockpit to show its default position.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

No its not. Either you haven't looked at the ships in UC or you've lost your mind.

Probably the latter. Was a late night

Anyhow, was referring to this'n and that'n , which are either the same or I demand new eyes.........

I was always more of a BC man myself, anyhow- new fangled UC never could draw me away from it