Internal Fleet/service rivalry

Guest Commander Hamblin

Guest Commander Hamblin

I was just thinking how in the United States Military, there is a sort of internal friendly rivalry going on between the services. For instance, the Army/Navy game. By the way, anyone going to this years Army/Navy game? I'm hoping to be there myself, sort of a little mini-holiday, but if I can't, someone cheer on Navy for me!

Anyway, hows about we have this in BCM? Just friendly internal organisation rivalry. The fleets of Galcom could go up against each other in annual tournaments, and there's no reason why the same can't be done for the fleets of the Insurgency. Could have sporting events like...hmm...target practice! HAHA, no, seriously, we could have sports events of some kind. Come on, someone's gotta have some ideas as to what kind of sports we could have! Swimming tournaments, er...yes, shooting contests. Flying contests, see who can do the most interesting stunts, maybe? Or some off-road driving, see who can get the best times!

And, of course, doesn't have to be confined to a planet either. Could be various tourneys in space too. Get people flying around in space suits, or doing EVA's on the hull of a starship/starstation,

It could be between the fleets, and between the services too. Marines vs Starship Commanders! (Army/Navy?!) Hell, we could even get in some friendly rivalry between Galcom and the Insurgency! Or we could have indies signing up to play for either side. Hmm...

Think this idea has any merit?

Guest Commander Hamblin

This has nothing to do with the game itself, in terms of making patches or added features or anything like that. This is something we could do ourselves, using the game as it exists, and a bit of imagination.

I have to say, I think it indeed has some merit.. No changes needed in the GCO universe at all. Announce in the news that on such and such a date at such a such a time, we will all meet in some neutral area of space to have the galactic games.

This would make it so that people who have not met each other doing the various things that people are going to do during GCO, to meet each other on a one on one basis without the problem of blowing each other out of space!! LOL

Basically we would call for a total and absolute ceasfire in that particular quadrant for that particular day, we play the games, have fun, then all head back into our GCO lives after having much fun competiing with each other and helpibng others hone thier skills..

I think it has a lot of merit!!

FOOD FIGHT!!!!!

No seriously that's an interesting idea... change from day-to-day head-crushing, ship-blowing and banter-spitting...

How about a bunch of shuttles where one has to tractor another one... then it's his turn to catch someone... kinda like tag...

Or what about a ralley? 2 ships depart from the same point, them run to catch cargo pods placed at certain points... sort of waypoint race...

Or a triathlon.... players depart from one area in tank, stop somewhere and do some target shooting, and then swim to the goal?

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

How about THE ultimate sport?

Resnig Hockey!

Yes folks, this is the ultimate BCM sport. With playing fields both planetside (using 2 tall buildings as goal posts) and in space (open docking bay of some station models as goal)!

And of course, it will have to "flavors" to it, the "Sportsmanship Cup", in which players fly unarmed shuttles and wizz their way to score as many points as possible before the 20 minute time period is over.

And the "Pyro Cup", where armed transports and light cruisers go at it with both guns AND tractor beams!

What a hoot!

The point of the game would be to use Resnig as a puck, tractoring his annoying persona all around the playing field. Last tournament held in Lyrius saw extensive use of the cloning facilities on Wraith HQ... but the crowd LOVED every resnig and every splat on the station's viewports.

Tickets avaliable at your local ticketmaster. Sorry, no Animal Protection Rights groupies allowed.

(does it show that Resnig pulled a bad one on me? heeeheee )

Or you could have some newbie who doesn't like all the "old schoolers" and who decides to invest in a STO missile, and drop it on the unsuspecting Olympians, who are in the middle of handing out gold medals to winners... hehe,

Seriously I am indifferent to the idea, though I believe that GCO will have areas for mingling with other residents of the universe...

I think the important thing is just like it was in Active worlds, meeting people from all over who have one thing in common... Ah well,

Or for those whose computers are NEVER off, how about: The Earth to Mars Marathon!

No hyperspace, normal engines only. Take about a week, probably. You'd just walk in every couple of hours and tweak your course. First shuttle from Earth base to Mars base wins!

Hehehehe, that would be, uh... - interesting!

Seriously, it couldn't be done, since the shuttle's energy cells would be depleted long before it reached Mars - on the other hand, you could have two or more shuttles tractoring each other; when one runs out of power, another one can tractor it & take over

what about orbital skydiving? Park the BC a few feet before it automatically goes into space... and have them marines jump off the ship!

Last one to use the jetpack wins!

Hehe, I tried doing that once, in the BCM Demo. (yep, I just have tooooo much time on my hands; at least school starts soon)

Park ship as close as I can get to 50 clicks to the planet (which was Farstar), and I get out for a spacewalk (alt-e). Then, I fly towards the planet............

Too bad, all that happens is it shows the "You Have Been Killed In Action" screen......

quote:

How about THE ultimate sport?

Resnig Hockey!

LOL! Count me in. Where's that ticket office?

I think we had a thread about this quite some time ago. Sometime before beta I think? Not sure who started it. SC? Anyway, that wasn't about fleet competitions. Just possible MP scenarios besides combat ones.

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]