Fighter Pilots and Marines query.

Guest Commander Hamblin

Guest Commander Hamblin

You know, I was wondering, why on Earth would anyone want to join BCM as a Planetary Support pilot? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it's a rather...er, limited career.

You only get four assets, the HAG, the LAG, the PAS1, and the PAS2. You can, obviously, only fly about in a planet's atmosphere. You'd be confined to that one planet. And you'd be basically doing what Elite Force pilots can already do (fly in an atmosphere), who do it with better ships (fighters that can fly in space AND in a planet's atmosphere), and who have greater freedom of movement!

So, why would anyone want to join as a PS pilot, when the life of an EF pilot is so much greater?

Secondly, Marines. Is it possible to carry player-controlled marines aboard ships? ie, Joe Bloggs flies his Terran/Military ship to Earth, where his buddy, John Doe, is on the planet as an MI Marine (Terran/Military). Could Joe Bloggs beam John Doe to his ship, take him to another planet, then beam him down there?

What about Jane Smith, an EF pilot (Terran/Military) who's crash landed on Earth, and abandoned ship...could Joe Bloggs beam Jane Smith aboard too, take her to Galcom HQ or something?

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Hamblin:

You know, I was wondering, why on Earth would anyone want to join BCM as a Planetary Support pilot? Maybe it's just me, but it seems like it's a rather...er, limited career.

You only get four assets, the HAG, the LAG, the PAS1, and the PAS2. You can, obviously, only fly about in a planet's atmosphere. You'd be confined to that one planet. And you'd be basically doing what Elite Force pilots can already do (fly in an atmosphere), who do it with better ships (fighters that can fly in space AND in a planet's atmosphere), and who have greater freedom of movement!

This one's just too easy.

Its the same reason some people just the Air Force and fly. While others join The Marines - and, well, fly.

Just because its there, doesn't mean you have to use it. Its just there. If there was no reason for it, it wouldn't be there.

And comparing PSPs flying in a craft and EF marines flying around in a jetpack - with limited charge and altitude, is the silliest thing I've heard all week.

Marines don't even have the firepower required to be effective against units and structures. PSPs and EFPs do. Even MIMs who have access to the LR12, can only do so much.

And the TDU is specifically there for marines to designated targets for pilots.

Its about co-operation. In multiplayer, any fleet leader who allows his EFPs to keep going back and forth between space and planetary regions, just because they can, is going to regret it.

quote:

Secondly, Marines. Is it possible to carry player-controlled marines aboard ships? ie, Joe Bloggs flies his Terran/Military ship to Earth, where his buddy, John Doe, is on the planet as an MI Marine (Terran/Military). Could Joe Bloggs beam John Doe to his ship, take him to another planet, then beam him down there?

What about Jane Smith, an EF pilot (Terran/Military) who's crash landed on Earth, and abandoned ship...could Joe Bloggs beam Jane Smith aboard too, take her to Galcom HQ or something?

You should already know the answer to that one.

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]