[UCCE] NO CLOUDS in random/campaign modes

Recently bought UC Collectors edition download verison.

BUT i have many other battlecruiser games as well, namely 2 BOXED versions of the game, and 3 DOWNLOAD versions, including the latest Collectors edition.

Anyways;

Be it UC AWA on my older rig on XP, OR The UC collector's on my new rig (vista) etc,,, there is the same ''problem?''

Instant missions on earth mostly have clouds and such, but every time i start a new random game/campaign and land ANYWHERE on earth at ANY TIME, there are absolutley NO CLOUDS in the sky at all. BE it DAY, OR night, its ALWAYS crystal clear!! NEver seen storms/rain or whatnot in random/campaign either....

==(maybe coz the weather effects are dynamic,, BUT should seen clouds etc LEAST a few times out of the dozens of random games i started through, though......?)

ATTENTION; I have never played a random game MORE than 15-20 minutes. I log-in, choose a destination on earth and just land... just checking the game out for possible ''bugs'' BEFORE i read hundreds of pages of instructions to put in the game... and so far,, im in love,,, MAYBE thats why i might be going PARANOID...? B),,,, maybe if i waited/played for longer.........?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RINSE&REPEAT

Ok, so i never see any clouds etc... on earth whenever i start a new random/campaign game. Never/not even once, i guess. WHEREAS instant missions include lotsa clouds/varied weather conditions...and are working perfectly fine..

==SHOULD I continue PULLING MY HAIR out of my HEAD,,, OR is this normal?? I just want to know IF the random/campaign modes of my games are broken ((somehow))?

Thank you.

Please don't post stuff like this in the tech support forum again.

If you don't know by now how the dynamic weather system works - or how to use Tacops to view different parts of the planet etc, you might want to turn in your badge and exit left.

Instant Action scenarios specifically set the TOD and weather conditions to suit the scenario. The ROAM, Campaign scenarios etc, do not. They leave the dynamic weather system alone so that it is handled automatically (as it should be).

Well, if you don't want to wait for the weather to change, you can still use the cheat mode to switch between weather patterns.

Check this thread.

However, you should know that cheating is really, really wrong, and can bring some unwanted effects. Ever wondered how come every single capship in the BC universe is plagued with its very own Resnig? B)

¿Supreme Cmdr;

''Please don't post stuff like this in the tech support forum again.''

-Allright, point taken.

''If you don't know by now how the dynamic weather system works - or how to use Tacops to view different parts of the planet etc, you might want to turn in your badge and exit left.''

-Please don't make quick assumptions; I know how to view different parts of the planets using the tacops, and indeed, i did so, many times, and couldnt see any weather effects/clouds,, for my part....hence the post. And im afraid i cant hand in the badge, you developers should blame yourself for making too good games to resist.

''Instant Action scenarios specifically set the TOD and weather conditions to suit the scenario. The ROAM, Campaign scenarios etc, do not. They leave the dynamic weather system alone so that it is handled automatically (as it should be). ''

-Thank you for the explanation, that was my assumption as well. But i was nonetheless worried. Im very picky about this game, since there really is nothing else out there to buy like it. So if i ditch this game, i wouldnt be able to replace it. Hence me being frantic about every nook and cranny.

I take it by your response that there is nothing wrong with the game. (about weather/cloud efftects etc...) Thx for the replies.

RT;

Shweet deal, cheating is, but i think ill heed your warning and resist the temptation. B)

Seraphiel5, welcome to the forums!

You will find a wealth of information on the game here the forums. If you ever run across something you don't quite understand or that you think may be a bug, use the Search button at the top. Chances are that whatever you are concerned with was already answered elsewhere on the forum. The manual has a lot of very useful information as well.

Again, welcome to the forum!

-Sho

Okay, I actually felt at first like 'Omg, Seraphiel5 is a noob', but some afterthoughts came to my mind.

Fired UC:SE, started a ROAM game, as a TER/MIL recon force marine. Choose EARTHSB1 [TER/MIL] as a starting location, didn't bother changing my gear, then got deployed.

Checked the sky: clear. Not a single cloud in sight. Checked some other places, different timezones, and different weather zones via tacops; still, no clouds anywhere. "No problem, just wait a bit". I sit there, wait for an hour, wait for two hours, still nothing. No problem, real life weather can be like that.

Now I've been waiting for more than 14 hours (no cheat,) so here's my question SC: could you give more information about the dynamic weather system? I've used the search function for 'weather', which returned 3 pages of topics, only this post was relevant, and wasn't really adressed, and the UCSE manual, appendix and tutorial don't deal about it either. How long will I have to wait till the weather changes?

I'm gonna let the game run for another 10 hours, checking it every hour as I've just been doing (well, I slept 5 hours actually), just to be sure I'm not missing something B)

Oh, btw, I just thought I couldn't get away without posting some nice shots. I lowered the resolution, so the page isn't *too much of* a bitch to load with dialup and slow connections.

Very, very, very nice lighting, SC :rotfl:

Dynamic weather means just that. Its dynamic, random, not predictable etc.

Hence the reason that if I want a scenario to take place at night, I force the weather (read the GBS docs). If I want it to take place during a storm, I force the weather accordingly.

Also, the weather is based on the location on the planet. You won't see clouds at the North pole most of the time.

There is a reason why the NID/NRS (its also in the fp DIE) mode exists. Complete with a weather forecast.

Some planets have no weather system.

If those shots are from the RFM game, uhm, did it not occur to you that the fact that its RAINING - complete with a dark cloud cover - is a clue that the weather system is working just fine?

I don't even know why this conversation thread exists. You guys must be bored. Normally I would just delete a thread like this, but I'm just going to let it stand so that I can see just how long the silliness will last.

There is a reason why the NID/NRS (its also in the fp DIE) mode exists. Complete with a weather forecast.

Yep, forgot to mention this one, but that's something strange, actually. The forecast system displays 99M...does it mean the weather should change in 99 minutes? If so, well, there may be an issue, since figures are stuck at 99m for more than 14 hours now (and I've been regularly checking). I may be mistaken about how that forecast system works, though. Should I post it in tech support?

If those shots are from the RFM game, uhm, did it not occur to you that the fact that its RAINING - complete with a dark cloud cover - is a clue that the weather system is working just fine?

This shot was taken from another character, using the weather pattern browsing cheat (ctrl+k), just for the sake of posting a nice picure ;) I'm only worried about the weather never changing (except by using the cheat mode..which I'm not fond of).

I don't even know why this conversation thread exists. You guys must be bored. Normally I would just delete a thread like this, but I'm just going to let it stand so that I can see just how long the silliness will last.

I sent Resnig on vacations on Gamma-1, so things are pretty quiet onboard...quiet...so quiet...Now I'm bothering the SC with talks about the weather :D. Maybe I should press the Evac button and get my CO back :headshake: Hope it's not too late!

PS: Seraphiel5, you'd better checking the product registration topic before the Boss notices you haven't gotten through it yet!

Supreme Cmdr;

''I don't even know why this conversation thread exists. You guys must be bored. Normally I would just delete a thread like this, but I'm just going to let it stand so that I can see just how long the silliness will last. ''

-Whow! man, take it easy. Believe me, this thread was not posted to bother you in any way. If there is such a misunderstanding, than you have my apologies. PERSONALLY, for me; the point of this thread is to;

1-find out if i am the only one who never ever sees weather effetcs on earth in a RANDOM GAME, (or are there others too?)

2-if so, is there something abnormal with the copy i own? OR maybe something's somehow wrong with my system or installation, or maybe something else.....

PS! im NOT bored, i have universal Combat Collectors Edition,, you try being bored with THAT...

''If those shots are from the RFM game, uhm, did it not occur to you that the fact that its RAINING - complete with a dark cloud cover - is a clue that the weather system is working just fine?''

-Apperantly the first screenie was taken with the cheat, and looks rather awesome, the point probably was that UNLESS you use that cheat,, (AT LEAST ON EARTH) so far i have not seen any weather effects no matter how many random games i started, and seems neither did RT.

R.A.N.D.O.M;

YES, you are right, the weather is DYNAMIC, i know. BUT SINCE it IS dynamic, out of almost 4 dozen games i started ALL OVER THE EARTH, shouldnt i have seen rain/snow OR clouds AT LEAST ONCE?

''Also, the weather is based on the location on the planet. You won't see clouds at the North pole most of the time. ''

I have been in africa, north pole, sweden, europe, asia,, even tried to zoom in / land on japan, heheh,, and as i previously posted, used tacops to SURVEY the planets DIFFERENT places as well, have not witnessed any effects yet. Ahhhh,, even typing this makes me want to play the game mooooore...... so much to explore and see....

RT;

-I,too checked /searched the forums and found nothing related to the subject, hence my bothersome attempt to post about it....

ShoHashi;

-Thank you very much for the worm welcome. Actually i wanted to login with Seraphiel (with whom i posted once like mayhaps 5-6 months ago) but no matter what i tried, i couldnt login to that account again (LONG STORY), so i created this one and logged in again after a long while now. -- Related to the fact that i just purchased a a new copy(download vers) of the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, my sincere apologies to all those i have bothered with my post. BUT i have questions not exactly answered on the manual, AND WHO ELSE could i trun to??Should i have posted questions about UC weather effects in Battlefield 2142 forums? :headshake:

Thank you all for your replies.

Tell you what. When I have time, I'll look into it. And if I don't find anything wrong, everyone in this thread who sent me on a wild goose chase, is getting banned for 90 days.

If I do find something wrong (which is unlikely, since I know for a fact that it works or it just won't work), then, well, I guess I'll have to fix it. :headshake:

So, all those in agreement, just repond to this thread.

Tell you what. When I have time, I'll look into it. And if I don't find anything wrong, everyone in this thread who sent me on a wild goose chase, is getting banned for 90 days.

If I do find something wrong (which is unlikely, since I know for a fact that it works or it just won't work), then, well, I guess I'll have to fix it. :headshake:

So, all those in agreement, just repond to this thread.

Oooops, now i know how Saddam Hussein must have felt before he was handed the rope.......around his neck. Altough i killed no where near as many people as him... EXCEPT maybe im killing Supreme Cmdr's time...... uhuh... ;)

Ok, deal by me!

If being banned for 90 days includes EVEN the SLIGHTEST chance of a ''possible'' thing with the game being fixed, than im game!! (coz i like this game too much to ignore,, hence all the different versions of BC games i own :D)

heh, you should be banned just for comparing me to that twit, Saddam.

Nevertheless, the weather conditions have no effect on the game - any game - for that matter. Especially since it

1. bears no relevance to an ACM or ROAM campaign

2. has no positive nor adverse effects on either game type since neither has anything to do with the weather. Now if at 8pm the Sun was still up, now thats a problem.

btw, the time acceleration cheat has no effect on the dynamic weather update. It only affects TOD which is time dependent. So you can advance time for as long as you want, unless the randomized weather is going to kick in, nothing will happen.

I agree, weather bears no real relevance...It simply is impressive and adds to the immersion feeling. It's a non-destructive problem (if a problem at all!)...but hell! These cloudy scenarios are really nice looking, I want my ROAM experience to be as impressive! (and I'm the kind of player to drive his mayhem :D for hours before he gets to the ennemy base...and get his ass banged right upon arrival :headshake: DJPs? That's for dummies, you can't even pack a MFB in ;)..So, that plain sunny sky gets a bit boring after a while!)

However, just to make things clear, I didn't use the time acceleration cheat. The game ran for 14 real-time hours, since I wanted to be sure. No clouds at the horizon.

OH MY GOD!! ITS BOILING EVERYWHERE!! HEheh! :headshake:

Sorry for the caps.

BUT its true.

I have been to the north pole, according to NIR, its currently BOILING as weather condition,,, been to Northern Europe, and its BOILING, too,,, Also, south pole is boiling as well, oh, and Germany, too,, hihih. (Where ever i setpos on earth, whatever the time, its boiling)

Maybe it is related to us seeing no clouds and weather effetcs and whatnot? Perhaps,,, JUSt perhaps, the dynamic weather system is reading it as ''very hot'' for the whole planet, thus naturally dismissing any would be snow/rain/cloud effetcs and so on??

UPDATE;

Just started as a Gammulan and checked the Planet Canaan.

The weather condition is (Weather:) BOILING, AND yepp, its the arctic region of canaan,, But other parts of it are boiling, as well.

Seems the Universal Combat thats raging on left the Universe boiling... or something,, BUT maybe im the ONLY ONE expereincing this anomaly,,, perhaps did something wrong with the istallation,, uhhh,,,,, or..... my system,...?

(Except RT)

ALSO;

The weather forecast system is locked at 99m, no matter where i am,, whatever the time,,,

READY;

i am ready to send anyone save games or screen shots at your leasure.

Thx :D

Seems the Universal Combat thats raging on left the Universe boiling... or something,,

LMAO!!!!

Actually "boiling" is the default - and first weather condition. If you enabled cheats in the game shortcut (/opt_cheats_on) and used CTRL+K (while looking at the current weather in NID/NIR or in DIE/NIR fp mode), you'd be able to manually cycle through all the weather conditions without using the SHIFT+T elapse time cheat. Go try it and see.

Supreme Cmdr;

Yupp, its EXACTLY as you said.

Seems the default/first weather condition is Boiling, NATURALLy with no clouds, whatsoever,,

And as i use CTRL+K, it goes through a myrid of weather conditions, UNTIL it reaches boiling again.....

And excuse me for saying that, but it SEEMS like my copy is stuck on ''boiling'' at the beginning of the game (random), for some reason,,, and refuses to change,,, even in the arctic regions,,,

i landed on south pole on earth to try this out, for 2.5 hours, and didnt encounter any other effects except the continueing ''boiling one''.

MAN!! OH MAN!! Once i had engaged storm weather conditions,, flying my capital ship through those thick clouds,,, Jaysus!! Such an awesome feeling!! (Not a single game in gaming history lets you fly through the planets atmosphere commandeering a capital ship (and her crew) like that,, lol,, brings tears to my eyes :headshake:

BUT please dont get me wrong, having a set of storms ALL THE TIME 24/7 would suck, thats why the dynamic weather system (NATURALLY) is such a great idea.

If the weather is stuck on the default [boiling], then there is something preventing it from advancing when triggered. That would be a bug.

Anyway, I'll look into it this weekend and see what I can find out. Should be an easy fix if in fact its busted.

ps: The stormy weather conditions are far more impressive in fp mode or in a gunship/fighter because you hear different sounds, volume etc than in a cap ship (due to its size). Try it. In fp mode, just press 4 to go to the DIE, then press N 2-3 times to get to the WIR, then CTRL+K to cycle. Press 1 to exit the DIE.

Man, that was really sweet!

To be honest, i never paid much attention to the sounds in Battlecruiser series, almost dismissing them,,, since all i cared about was the gameplay, the freedom....

But now,, im really suprised, actually, in a very good way!! :headshake: lol, the more attention you give to this game, the more it gives... (Honestly i had never thought i would be impressed by the effects/sound in this game)

PS;

Also tested UC-SE on a different machine, and it gave the same results with the ''weather boiling-everywhere thingy''

I ALSO tired BC Millenium Gold (Cd-Ver) JUST in case, and this time the weather worked perfectly fine for me....

Side note;

Supreme Cmdr; thanks for the timely replies and the effort,, its very uncommon nowadays; where you will not even properly get into contact with the customer support,, let alone a developer himself,,, lol.

ALSO, i relaized that i was getting the topic too out of hand, so i deleted some of the stuff written in my latest post here just in case.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

This has been revised so that the weather changes are more apparent. However, the force weather cheat will no longer work as before in that if you attempt to force, e.g. rain in a region that does not have rain, it won't work.

Don't expect a patch for this any time soon because I'm pretty busy.

• 2 weeks later...
This has been revised so that the weather changes are more apparent. However, the force weather cheat will no longer work as before in that if you attempt to force, e.g. rain in a region that does not have rain, it won't work.

Don't expect a patch for this any time soon because I'm pretty busy.

Shweet!, Thanks alot! I hope the patch with the latest revision(v1.00.03.03) comes out soon, BUT naturally, it will be done when its done.

Cheers! :)