Red Ring of Death

lljksilk

I had my first 360 RROD on me this week. It lasted from Nov 2006 - Dec 2007. I submitted my repair order through Microsoft's website on Wednesday and will post updates on how long it takes for the repair.

Anyone have success stories on the repair program?

I posted a quick update on my blog also: http://blog.danielcooper.us/

Also on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/danielcooper2006

Do you remember what you were doing when you got the RROD? e.g. did you have a marathon gaming session?
No, I actually hadn't played my 360 since the end of November, just used it for watching movies. It was working fine last Friday, I went out of town and came back and it wasn't working.

I did notice in November that I got hangups/freezes during a couple of games on and off. Mostly Guitar Hero/Rock Band.

My longest gaming sessions for the past while haven't been more than an hour or so.

The only thing out of the ordinary that I did was open up a ton of media files on my shared network, but I can't say whether that had any effect or not. (I use the 360 for streaming from my computer to t.v.)

The RROD is usually caused by overheating. If you didn't use it, then I don't know why else you'd get that.

You should have done what everyone else did when we first learned of this RROD rubbish: buy a dedicated cooling unit for it. I have a Nyko Intercooler attached to my Elite and so far so good.

When you get your machine back, it will most definitely have a new heat sink + fan combo, but unless you take active steps to keep it cool, you will run into the problem again. A LOT of people are now on their

third and fourth repaired units, so most suspect that this problem goes beyond cooling. MS is mum about the actual cause.

The RROD is usually caused by overheating. If you didn't use it, then I don't know why else you'd get that.

You should have done what everyone else did when we first learned of this RROD rubbish: buy a dedicated cooling unit for it. I have a Nyko Intercooler attached to my Elite and so far so good.

When you get your machine back, it will most definitely have a new heat sink + fan combo, but unless you take active steps to keep it cool, you will run into the problem again. A LOT of people are now on their

third and fourth repaired units, so most suspect that this problem goes beyond cooling. MS is mum about the actual cause.

When the 360s were first manufactured, they used a non-approved type of solder which becomes brittle over time. The overheating causes this, but it doesn't happen all at once. All 360s manufactured are expected to eventually RROD once the solder breaks contact with components and the board.

I have read reports of Nyko cooling units melting and fusing to the 360. I have also read that using a non-approved cooling unit you run the risk of voiding your warranty because of the way it connects and draws power. From Wikipedia:

The Nyko Intercooler has also been reported to have caused a general hardware failure in a number of consoles, as well as scorching of the power AC input.[12] Microsoft stated that the peripheral drains too much power from the console and can cause the faults to occur, [13] and stated that consoles fitted with the peripheral will have their warranty null and void.[12] Furthermore, it has been stated that plugging the power cord to a surge protector further drains power from the processor and is otherwise unnecessary as the power converter has its own surge protector.

I planned that my 360 would fail even though it is in a well ventilated area, stands vertical on top of a wood surface, and having taken good care of it. Microsoft set aside enough $$$ to cover this, and getting a RROD means that you get a free system repair so I wasn't too worried about it except being stuck on PC for a bit playing my other games. I wanted to be careful not to use a cooling device or anything that ran the risk of having Microsoft find an excuse to not honor the 3 year warranty on a RROD.

Whoa!!! I didn't know this about the Nyko coolers melting!!! Holy smokes!!! I need to go inspect mine right now!

I also have mine plugged into an APC surge protector. Guess I'm gonna have to go disconnect that as well.

I have so many consoles that even if my unit RRODs, I won't miss it. :)

:P Show off. Share the love SC :)

hehe

Anyway, yesterday I removed my Intercooler from XB360. Luckily there were no burn marks of any signs of damage to the console.

I think I'll just buy a small fridge from Walmart, plug it behind the console and leave the door open. :LOL_Hair:

Either that or just buy a small external fan and plug it back there.

• 3 weeks later...
360 repair Success stories? :)

You can find Hen's teeth easier.

RROD: Dec 26, 2007 (mfg Nov 2006)

Registered on xbox.com/support

Received replacement (refurb) on January 16, 2008 (mfg Dec 2006).

Total time from RROD to Receipt of replacement console: 21 days.

RROD: Dec 26, 2007 (mfg Nov 2006)

Registered on xbox.com/support

Received replacement (refurb) on January 16, 2008 (mfg Dec 2006).

Total time from RROD to Receipt of replacement console: 21 days.

And now you have a 90 day warranty on a repaired piece of junk. It will fail you again.

I should know. I've been through the process 8 times since the initial purchase.

As far as I'm concerned, Microshaft can blow me.

If this one goes belly up again, I'm replacing it with a Playstation 3, or just sticking with my PC. That puppy I can repair myself. Only problem with that scenario is that Microshaft is so damned greedy that they will probably rob me of another hundred bucks to re-up the license on thier POS OS.

If that happens, I'll go out and grab a copy of Linux or buy a Mac.

Derek,

You may want to consider programming your games for a different platform.