Call Of Duty 4 -Modern Warfare

Supreme Cmdr

If you don't already own this game, BUY IT. If you have a choice (i.e. beefy PC vs console), get the PC version.

I started playing it over the holidays and I'm just speechless at the level of quality and polish that Infinity Ward put into this game. Its games like this and Bioshock that pave the way.

As I play this game, it just asserts what myself and many others have said before: Halo 3 is just a rehash that sold based on hype & marketing alone. It simply cannot touch CoD4 in any way, shape or form. Yes, different games sure, but I'm talking in terms of hype, marketing and sales. It would be interesting to see how well it does in the long run. EVERY fps fan needs to buy this game.

Playing this game at 1920x1080 (on my 42" Westinghouse) with everything on high and my 5.1 audio (I have my X-Fi audio piped in DTS to my Onkyo TXSR603X reciever using the Creative Labs Home Theater Connect DTS-610) is just plain awesome. Yesterday I was so engrossed in the game that well into the night I was still playing. After I got yelled at (around 9pm) to keep the volume down, I wipped out my Razer Barracuda headphones and continued for about a half hour before swapping those for my Pioneer SE-DIR800C 5.1 headphones. I was up until 2am thereafter.

I still hold that this was a better candidate for Game of the Year in any awards thingy than Bioshock, Crysis, etc. The multiplayer is addicting; I traded sleep for CoD4 for about a week after its release. I was kind of disappointed at how quickly I got up to level 55 in multiplayer though.

I have yet to try multiplayer because I don't want to get addicted to it. Can you tell me a bit more about the mp experience? I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The multiplayer is fast, fun, frenetic and extremely addictive. Especially when you get to the higher levels...it's one of those MP experiences that never feels tagged on.

The whole game is such an incredible piece of gaming Nirvana.

I agree. The only thing I may ask more for MP is team work, but is not due to the game but the players.

I'd prefere more strategy than arcade but still is a very nice way to spend time.

You often find yourself killed by someone sneaking behind you without your teammate doing nothing about it. A sort of everyone on himself for any game kind.

A part from that, the MP part keep up with the SP one completely.

Beside, I've enjoyed particulary the level where you are placed in command of the gunnery station of the AC-130 Spectre. A nice immersion in an uncomon role in games.

There's several game types and a few built in mods. Game types include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Headquarters (King of the Hill essentially), Search & Destroy (think counterstrike), Sabotage (1 bomb, two bomb sites, unlimited respawns), and Domination (Day of Defeat). There's an extreme mod which makes the game incredibly arcady ala Call of Duty 2, and a Hardcore mod that makes the game more realistic by lowering everyone's health and getting rid of the hud entirely. Hardcore Sabotage is my personal favorite right now. Heck, anything in Hardcore mode is fun... that's what's gotten me so hooked.

The experience allows you to unlock weapons as you go up in levels. There's a series of challenges divided into two categories; weapon challenges and feat challenges. The weapon challenges allow you to unlock new attachments for your weapons. The feats just give you bragging rights for your friends but they're really fun to try for.

If you're worried about getting addicted SC you should be. But its soooo much fun.

Oh, and yeah, you gotta find a good server to find some good teamwork. Although that honestly is easier said than done. If you have some friends to play with that helps a lot.

Are those mods server side only or does the client need to download and install them first? If so, whats the best CoD4 portal to grab them from? I know there are a few sites out there, but I'd rather not do the search.

How many of you here play it? I can probably throw up a server, since I'm on a 3G backbone at home and have a spare machine I use specifically for gaming servers.

How many of you here play it? I can probably throw up a server, since I'm on a 3G backbone at home and have a spare machine I use specifically for gaming servers.

No always playing but count me in for some team work if we set up for it even if there may be time zones problems.

I just beat it on Monday very cool game. Haven't tried MP yet ,but would definitely give it a go if you put up a server.

Are those mods server side only or does the client need to download and install them first? If so, whats the best CoD4 portal to grab them from? I know there are a few sites out there, but I'd rather not do the search.

The Hardcore and Extreme mods are built into the game so you don't need to download them. Make sure you upgrade to 1.4 before trying to play though; it fixes some bugs relating to hit detection with some of the weapons.

If you put up a server, ping willing, I'm there! :salute:

I installed a third-party client (its REALLY FREAKING COOL!!!) browser/voip client last night, GSC, and played for a bit on a few servers. I have to be honest, the gameplay is not that different from, say, the Battlefield games. Its just a different game, interesting maps and different weapons.

The ranking is pretty cool though. I played and gained EPs all the way up to sniper class unlock before I resigned for the night.

I also setup and tested a GSC voip server (Warmonger) for use later when I get the hang of it all.

btw my GSC handle is DSMART

Very cool game indeed!! Though I do not play it on a PC, but on the X360.

Very nicely done missions in SP and MP, just, wow! The achievements to unlock are a very nice 'mini-game' type of approach, although I do agree that its nothing new.

The special effects, sounds, graphics and action packed gameplay is stellar!

Indeed a number one hit! :D :D

With all excellent talk on the game, I decided to go get a copy today. Of course, the way my luck was, I had to travel around 4 counties and 5 stores before I could find a PC copy of it. Seems like there were tons of Xbox 360 copies around though. I finally scored at a Gamestop luckily. Now to find some time to try it out. :D

-Sho

We should all try to get together one night to play for a while. I set up a GSC handle, its weegee_101 (*gasp*). I dunno how often I'll be on but I'll try; I'm currently running Xfire, Pidgin, Skype, and Steam for IM stuff already.

My handle on GSC is ShoHashi....go figure! :D Anyways, I'm locked and loaded!

-Sho

Wow! I've been playing it on my 360. It is fun, I agree with denny about the lack of teamwork on some. But once you make friends and join them you plan things out a bit.

I cannot install GSC due to the presence of NOD32 on my system. Seems like deactivating it will not work for the installed as the kernel is still running and I cannot kill the process no matter what I do; nor with process explorer.

If you don't already own this game, BUY IT. If you have a choice (i.e. beefy PC vs console), get the PC version.

I started playing it over the holidays and I'm just speechless at the level of quality and polish that Infinity Ward put into this game. Its games like this and Bioshock that pave the way.

As I play this game, it just asserts what myself and many others have said before: Halo 3 is just a rehash that sold based on hype & marketing alone. It simply cannot touch CoD4 in any way, shape or form. Yes, different games sure, but I'm talking in terms of hype, marketing and sales. It would be interesting to see how well it does in the long run. EVERY fps fan needs to buy this game.

Playing this game at 1920x1080 (on my 42" Westinghouse) with everything on high and my 5.1 audio (I have my X-Fi audio piped in DTS to my Onkyo TXSR603X reciever using the Creative Labs Home Theater Connect DTS-610) is just plain awesome. Yesterday I was so engrossed in the game that well into the night I was still playing. After I got yelled at (around 9pm) to keep the volume down, I wipped out my Razer Barracuda headphones and continued for about a half hour before swapping those for my Pioneer SE-DIR800C 5.1 headphones. I was up until 2am thereafter.

I know this is a little off-topic (on-topic: yes, CoD4 is knee-bucklingly awesome), but I am in the market for a new monitor of some, ahem, size, and I was wondering if you could post the specs/model # of your 42" Westinghouse and a quick review of how it does with PC input? Much appreciated if so.........

I know this is a little off-topic (on-topic: yes, CoD4 is knee-bucklingly awesome), but I am in the market for a new monitor of some, ahem, size, and I was wondering if you could post the specs/model # of your 42" Westinghouse and a quick review of how it does with PC input? Much appreciated if so.........

http://forums.avault.com/showpost.php?p=31...amp;postcount=6