What to buy, and question on multiplayer.

Darkveld

What version do i buy if i get this game from Direct2Drive? and if i want to play with a friend on lan, is it possible to just install the game on the 2 computers and it will work just fine? because i can't afford to get 2 copies of the game just to play with someone every long once in a while.

What version do i buy if i get this game from Direct2Drive? and if i want to play with a friend on lan, is it possible to just install the game on the 2 computers and it will work just fine? because i can't afford to get 2 copies of the game just to play with someone every long once in a while.

Whichever version you buy is entirely up to you and depends mostly on your rig. If you have a rig that meets with the requirements of the latest (and final game in the series), Universal Combat Collectors Edition, thats the version you should get. If your rig isn't up to par, then go down to Universal Combat SE, then down to Universal Combat - A World Apart....and finally *gulp* down to the least advanced of the current releases, Universal Combat Gold.

As for multiplayer, one copy will install just fine for both single and multiplayer, but ONLY on the SAME machine. So, if you want to run a dedicated server and play on another machine, you need two copies because the multiplayer executable is also copy protected.

If you want to host and play on the same machine, then you need to run the console server version. You first configure and run the console server. Make sure it inits correctly, it will say so on the last line. Then minimize it.

Then start your mp client as normal and either connect using the commandline or the in-game server browser.

The issue with running the client and server on the same machine is that both the client and server use the same UCCONFIG.INI file. In order to improve performance of the server, you need to configure the minimal settings for the server. But doing so means that if the client and server are running from the same install, then that means what settings you trim for the server will also apply to the client. To get around that, you simply clone the entire game install folder. Then use one for the client and the other for the server. You can then use a slimmed down UCCONFIG.INI on the server without affecting the version in the other [client] folder.

For more info, read this.

Question: Is this the first time you are playing the UC game? I see that you are posting in the legacy forum. Did you just play the freeware version?

Eh, i have played a couple times before and i got barely a hang on some of the basics of the game, but might as well call it the first time ive played with all i know. and yeah i have the freeware version. so there is no way to play on lan with 2 machines at all? we both really want to play, but we can't afford 2 copies of the game.

• 1 month later...
If you want to host and play on the same machine, then you need to run the console server version. You first configure and run the console server. Make sure it inits correctly, it will say so on the last line. Then minimize it.

Then start your mp client as normal and either connect using the commandline or the in-game server browser.

What is the secret to hosting and playing on the same machine. I can get the console version running and initialized correctly but when I attempt to start the MP client it says I can't have 2 copies of the application running at the same time?

Update:

A different error was preventing me from patching to version 1.00.03. I was finally able to get the patch to work and that fixed this issue.