Issues with Reversed Roll inputs

Hi,

After getting some time to finally get ES up and running (which I'm enjoying - even if I'm getting blasted to too many pieces all too quickly ;)) , I'm running into a weird issue with the roll inputs where if I hold down the joystick/xb360 pad to the left - I roll clockwise, and vice versa.

Just in case it was a system issue on my end - I tried it with both my old Sidewinder Precision Pro & an Xbox 360 pad - and it seems to occur with both of 'em. From playing around with the keyboard, all seems fine there.

I've also taken a peek at the VCF - and I don't believe I've seen anything regarding this either as an issue or as something that was fixed - so I was wondering if there was something I had missed - or if anyone had an alternative as to how I could work around it for the time being..

Thanks.

It works fine here. I just tried it again just to be sure. You don't press and move the stick. Please read the manual.

You move the controller L, the craft goes L. You move it R, it goes R.

If you have another controller (e.g. joystick) plugged in, unplug it.

It works fine here. I just tried it again just to be sure. You don't press and move the stick. Please read the manual.

You move the controller L, the craft goes L. You move it R, it goes R.

If you have another controller (e.g. joystick) plugged in, unplug it.

Hi SC,

Thanks for the comments - just to make sure, I've tried it again with only the xbox pad plugged in, and in yaw mode, everything is correct as per your comments.

If I then switch the game pad to roll instead of yaw (by clicking in the left stick), then it feels reversed - but that's at least a comparison between what happens if I were to press the left arrow key, followed by pushing the stick left.

At least I know I can use the pad properly to yaw, and if I need to do a roll, I'm able to use the keyboard properly..

Thanks again...

OK, I'll check that. You weren't clear in your first post as to what the problem was.

UPDATE: Yep, the roll axis on the joystick and controllers are swapped. The keyboard A/D/L_Arrow/R_Arrow are correct. Looks like this happened in the previous update due to the roll/yaw revisions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Well, I just picked up Galactic Command - Echo Squad SE and updated to the 2.10.06 update. All I can say is...Wow! This game is great! Anyway, to stay on topic, I have a Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2 joystick that I have set to the default game configuration, i.e., roll/yaw are NOT switched. However, I noticed the roll is reversed as discussed above. The VFC for 2.10.05 said the gamepad roll was fixed. Also, there was mentioned of correcting mouse control when a joystick was plugged in the VFC for 2.10.06. I was just wondering if the joystick was still actually reversed in the game or if I am just having problems on my end.

Thanks!

I actually have that stick and it works fine here. What problem are you having exactly and are you 100% certain that you are running the latest build?

And what do you mean the roll is reversed? And did you try changing it in Config? And did you try switching it by pressing and holding down SHIFT while playing the game? You may have a defective stick. When was the last time you used that (REALLY OLD!) stick with a game?

Well, I just picked up Galactic Command - Echo Squad SE and updated to the 2.10.06 update. All I can say is...Wow! This game is great!

Good. Now go spread the word since everyone but the hardcore space simmers have pretty much given up on space combat games.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm running version 2.10.06. The problem I'm having is that the craft rolls in the opposite direction of where the stick is pushed. That is, when I hold down the joystick to the left - I roll clockwise, and vice versa, as discussed above by hellfire64. This is opposite of what happens when I press the left arrow on the keyboard (i.e., left arrow rolls the craft counter clockwise). In the config screen I have the swap roll/yaw set to OFF. SHIFT doesn't seem to do anything, probably because I have a three axis joystick.

Admittedly, it is an older joystick, however I've never had any trouble with it before. On the other hand, if no one else has encountered this problem with their controller, then it may be a problem on my end. I was just curious if others were having the same problem.

You know, I don't get why people have a problem with this game. In my opinion, it looks better than any other sim and is much more accurate. Please, keep up the great work SC. :) I am, and will continue, to spread the word about 3000AD and raise the consciousness of gamers everywhere.

The problem I'm having is that the craft rolls in the opposite direction of where the stick is pushed.

Well, it works fine here on every joystick I have. In fact, I have the original Sidewinder, not the Sidewinder 2.

Have you installed the latest MS drivers for it? Have you tested it in control panel?

Can anyone else reproduce this?

My guess is that those legacy sticks are not DirectInput compliant. You may want to pick up a cheap and more recent stick e.g. the Saitek AV8R-01 is a pretty good stick and I have it permanently plugged into one of my machines.

Okay, I checked the MS website and other sites, and it appears the drivers for the Sidewinder Precision 2 joystick are included in the XP operating system and have never been updated since. As an aside, when you plug this particular joystick into a system running XP, it is recognized and the driver installed automatically. I tested the joystick in the control panel and it works great. It also works with every other game I have. (I know, this doesn't really mean anything without me listing all the other games, but what the hell, I'll say it anyway :)) Anyway, I guess since it works on your end, I may have some issue on my end.

Anyone else out there want to test this? Here's the test: 1) press the left arrow key on the keyboard and note which way the craft rolls, then 2) press the joystick to left and note which way the craft rolls. Did the craft roll the same direction? Please let me know, I may have to scrap this fine joystick...

Thanks!

I need you to fill out a support ticket and attach your game_config.ini file to it please. When you fill out the support ticket, make sure you give it a descriptive subject such as this one.

Also, in case you didn't do this already, try it again by deleting your game_config.ini file and creating a new profile. Then just run the tutorial and test it there. If it still works incorrectly, fill out the support ticket.

Done - Support ticket filed yesturday.

I also tried deleting the game_config.ini file and creating a new profile, but the problem persisted. By the way, thanks again for looking into this, and please, please, never cave in to those rediculous game reviewers who always seem to trash games that buck their limited sensibilities. Your games are different, and make you think. And that's always a good thing.

If you don't own any previous UC game, I need you to download the freeware Universal Combat. Install it, configure it for that stick and let me know if it works. If it does, that pretty much will confirm my theories about that SW2 stick not being xinput compliant because it is too old.

Okay, I have UCAWA. I tried it with the SW2 stick and it worked perfectly. I think you might have nailed the problem. Is there anything I can do?

Thats what I thought.

And yeah, I think we can just add a command line parameter for sticks like that. So if you have such a stick, you can just add this command-line parameter and it will swap that X axis on such joysticks. I'l see about having it added in the next patch or at least have a Beta patch released next week until the next patch (which wasn't due until Episode 2 scenario was released later in Q2) comes out officially. Since this is the first such report, I suppose nobody has held on to those sticks for this long.

Okay, I swapped the yaw/roll as suggested. Now, the craft correctly yaws to the left when the stick is pushed left, and yaws to the right when the stick is pushed right. However, when I rotate the stick left the craft rotates clockwise and vice versa. Hmm :) . Anyway, the game is now much more playable now. Thanks SC!

• 2 weeks later...