more space games

Cruis.In

Looking forward to these

http://kineticvoid.badlandstudio.com/features/

be sure to check out the vids. But I'll half spoil it, I like the idea of being able to design my own ship from the ground up and fly it! Also that depending on whether its a fighter or a capital ship, means different stuff needed to run it properly! Such as crew management!

I am still Ensign-1 as you know, seems to be going a kind of mmo-ish route. Cool that you can board any ship and get out and walk around...

and I am watching Drifter Celsius Game Studios

thanks bye!

Looking at Kinect Void, I admire what they are trying to accomplish. But I am skeptical about it, especially given their low budget and immense game universe they are trying to design. The three main areas I am questioning are the graphics, ship control/steering, and the purpose of the game, beyond just being a sandbox. The interface looks pretty basic & unpolished and there is something else I cant quite put my finger on. As for ship control, I've been doing a little digging and can't seem to find anything on that, which makes me wonder how they are going to go about it, as I would not want to play another Starpoint Gemini. And then there's the purpose, which just seems to be build a ship, explore the game universe, and do jobs for factions. The lack of direction is what I find troubling.

Those are my thoughts on it for now. Will have to see as they release gameplay videos.

YUP infinity. In fact i kept saying infinity would never see the light of day back in 2005/2006 etc etc. That it was too big and ambitious for one person to do. At least in a 'reasonable' amount of time. I argued that by the time inifinity MIGHT be ready for some sort of release that everything else would have caught up with it, and what he was 'wooing' people with, the seamless and procedural stuff would be common soon enough. And so said so done. I was wrong though, I said it would be ready by then, it still ain't ready :)

Of course I was villified as a troll, and told its in his spare time etc. etc... Fine who cares, if he puts his 'game' into the public domain I can say what I like, and I was right. And so many people have contributed their work to that project. The freelance artists.

Unfortunately, too many developers live by the motto 'Go big or go home'. Ironic in some ways, isn't it? I'm no game developer, but I would think that starting on a small project with reasonable parameters would be more beneficial and productive than trying to create the next Freespace game in your spare time, by yourself. This is just an assumption, but I'm sure Derek would not have been able to pump out UCCE had he no big, cuddly team, no money, and no time to work on it. And that's exactly what the Infinity guy's situation is, and some others are not far off. Infinity would have been finished by now, or at least be in some alpha/beta stage, if the guy had enough money to work on the game without working a job.

Money seems to be the biggest issue, apart from expertise, when it comes to the Indie space genre. It would have been nice if Infinity set the standard for games of its kind. Oh well. Time to end my thought bubble here.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, the Infinity devs are currently considering going the kickstarter route: they already have a few showoff vids, so they could definitely pull off some good advertising campaign. They have finally come to the conclusion that two guys simply can't make it in a decent time frame: the engine they've been developping over the past years is getting to a state where it is definitely usable to make the game itself, but they want to licence it first and be sure to have it really stable, mature, and if I'm not mistaken, quite portable. Which ofc takes as much time and effort as actually getting to the simply working point...

and yeah, finally they're probably going to let the community help financially (remember, back in the time, when the project started, there was no kickstarter, or at least it was not as well known as it has become these years). I still have faith in the project, though I've long stopped being a regular of its community.