Into The Fire Act Four - Deliverence

Blades

........I'm still here!

I've been out and around lately. Boy, even though it's been almost 2 months, there's not much to catch up on. Oh well.

(Also, I've decided that in the long run, I want to be Police Caste, so I'll write up a short story, sometime after Into The Fire. I think the police caste can really add some variety to the already-thick RP plots we have here.)

Um let's see.... Where was I. Oh yeah! I just got done sending the apology to Blades. :P

(RP)

GCV-McKendrick,

Alec Nova's Guest Quarters

After writing the apology, Alec Nova took a rest. The quarters given to Alec were probably the worst 'guest' rooms given to him. Because of the entire crew evac to the McKendrick, they had to use some prisoner space as rooms for the rest of the people.

Later, Nova listened to some music from his PDA and sat in the bed in the room. He pondered what he'd learned so far, and just let his mind flow to get rid of his stress.

Holy crap. Top-ranking command scum, always being so perfect, and strict, and uptight. Blades is cool, though. It must've been the booze or the fact that I almost died that I called him a shitty excuse for a FC. Still, he's really gotta work on his people skills. But man, that Somerset guy. Spit-and-Polish my ass. More of that uptight perfectionist crap............

I've never actually seen Rattler before. I only heard about stuff he did. Just the look on his face.... His expressions..... His movements..... The fame.... The power. That must be an incredible feeling.

Ah, what the hell am I thinking! I'll never have that much power. I just wish I could do something to help. Something to prove myself. Then all those seasoned uptight bastards won't think of me as the all-talk no-work guy.

It was true. Alec's mouth slipped on several occasions, landing him in really bad positions. He had big dreams, but his mind and mouth combined were just too macho for anything.

Earlier, before the Vulture left Pixan, the crew was asked which ones would like to be in the mission, and which ones would just stay and serve as guards. Alec volunteered for the biggie. It just may be his biggest mistake................(/RP)

Well, nice to hear from you DeSylva!!! I've seen some of your stuff a while back when I was a mere lurker. Great to have more experienced folks around (I just started RP-ing in April).

Also, what I was saying about that Police caste thing was that I think having the variations with a police character would be cool. Imagine if one of the people on this mission was a police officer undercover, and what that kind of side plot we'd have to go through. That kind of junk.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[rp]

Akuma sat on her bed in her quarters holding the badge once again in her hands. She stared at it for a few more moments before putting it back in her pocket.

I guess I should go talk to him She thought to herself as she stood up and smoothed out the creases in her uniform. I should let him know I'm defecting. She paused. Defecting? Where did that come from...But...I couldn't stand there and watch while the only other person in the world other than Rattler whom I thought I had a connection with gets kisses again and again by that woman!

She moved towards the door and stepped out. Walking hesitatingly towards the bridge she brushed her violet strands of hair behind her ears. How do I say this? She thought about Foss I can't just run away...This is my fault!

The bridge doors slid silently open and she watched as Chavik passed by her obviously deep in thought. She approached Blades who's eyes were turned outwards to the stars. "Sir?" She said clearing her throat. "Can I speak with you in private." She noticed Nina and tried very hard not to lunge at her with all over her pent up anger.

[/rp]

You handle it from here Blades! You always make it sound better.

You get to convince Akuma not to defect now! Yea you!

[RP]

Once again, you’re timing stinks ….

…. But if ever there was a time for discussion, this was it. Within the next few hours, the chances that they would ever get to speak again would dwindle to nothing. Chances were, despite the unexpected arrival of Chaviks toys, that at least one of them wasn’t going to be alive to discuss anything.

Not her though ….

“Step into my office.” Said Savage, tilting his head towards where he had just come.

Akuma quickly stepped past Commander Polovoski, awkwardly avoiding her eyes. Savage glanced down at Neena and noticed a look of pained compassion in her eyes.

She knows, thought Savage. She knows all too well what this discussion is going to be about. She told me that this was coming. But she doesn’t know about me, my conflict. She doesn’t know that Im every bit in love with that girl than I am with her.

Savage attempted to smile at the strong, beautiful commander in front of him, but failed to do so convincingly. Instead he averted his eyes, then turned his head to look at something distracting, failed to find anything, then back at Neena again.

Her own expression had changed. She looked confused, maybe even a little hurt. He stared at her for another moment, trying to convey the thoughts and fealings he had in his head and heart in a stare that she could read. Whether she read it or not, something seemed to dawn on Neena Polovoski. Her eyes lowered, and she seemed to take in a deep, painful breath. The expression she now wore was all the proof Fleet Commander Savage needed to be convinced that she now fully understood the situation – whatever that was.

Im sorry ….

Her eyes met his again, and she forced a small smile to her lips. “You have things to take care of Karl.”

He nodded, forced an unhappy smile back at her and turned on his heel and strode uncomfortably into the ready room.

The door closed, Reynolds was the first to be beside his former executive officers side. “Geez Neena, can you believe that?”

She turned and looked up at him, a small tear brimming over and running down her left cheek. “Yeah,” she said. “the nerve of that man. That’s my office …”

Savage had only just re-entered the room, and already he wished he could run out of it again. What young Akuma Munako had told him had been, to put it mildly, unexpected.

“Defecting?”

Akuma nodded.

“You’re defecting?”

She nodded again.

Savage looked to the ceiling, then down at his feet, then with his hands on his hips, looking straight at her, he repeated one last time. “You’re defecting?”

“YES!” shouted Akuma, stamping a foot down hard on the carpeted floor. “Im defecting, leaving the fleet, leaving you, bad memories, all the pain …. Im going away.”

Savage stared at her, taking a moment to compose himself before continuing.

“You cant.”

Akuma gawked at him. “I cant?”

Savage shook his head. “No, you cant.”

Akuma shook her head as if in disbelief. “I cant?”

This is getting tiresome.

“No, you cant.”

It was now Akuma who remained silent for a moment before continuing. “Why not?”

This took Savage by surprise. He hadn’t (for some reason that would later elude him) expected this response. “Uh … because …”

Akuma folded her arms and stared at him. “Yes?”

Savage sighed and stepped up a foot closer to her. “Because you cant just announce to your commanding officer that you are defecting. It’s just not done that way. You cant tell me you’re going to defect, then expect me not to make sure that you don’t. If you or anybody else had told me this in any other circumstances, I’d have you frog marched to the brig and brought up on charges of high treason!”

He stopped there, hoping for a quick response. He didn’t get one.

Ok smart ass, plan B.

“Besides,” said Savage, continuing. “I need you.”

The side of Akumas mouth quivered. “You don’t need me. You’ve got her.”

Touch├®

“It’s …. Not that simple.” Replied Savage. “Hasn’t been for a long time.”

“It seemed pretty simple on the cargo deck.”

Strike one!

“That’s was relief. I was relieved at being pulled out alive.”

“That was more than relief. If you were that relieved, why didn’t you embrace the Insurgent Commander you were stranded in a cargo pod with?”

Savage shrugged. “I dunno. He’s not my type?”

Stupid stupid stupid

Savage tried to apologise even as Akuma heard his words. It didn’t matter though, she threw her arms up in frustration and quick marched past the fleet commander on her way to the ready rooms exit.

Savage grabbed her by an arm as she rushed past him, swinging the small woman round and pulling her close into his chest. “Akuma ..”

She tried to break free from his grip, but he held her tight. “Let go of me Karl!”

Savage struggled to keep his grip on her as she fought him. “Not until you tell me what this is really about.”

“It doesn’t matter!” she replied, pushing hard against his chest in an effort to weaken his grip.

Savage retaliated by gripping her tighter, pulling her even closer to his body, close enough to smell her non regulation perfume, close enough to notice that she wasn’t wearing regulation issue support –

Rurghh! Now is NOT the time ..

Distracted, he failed to notice her bring a foot down hard onto his foot until it was too late. Yelping in unexpected pain, he released his grip and Akuma pushed with all her might against him, sending her toppling backwards out of control and into an assortment of potted plants arranged by a large viewing window.

She crumpled on the floor, knocking her head against a dull grey plant pot and banging her elbow against the wall.

Despite the pain in his foot, Savage went to her immediately, lowering himself so he was face to face with the downed commander and brushed her hair away from the small cut at the base of her scalp.

“Easy.” He said as she flinched away from him. “Im not going to hurt you.”

Tears welled up in her eyes.

“You already have, sir.”

It was that moment, right there in the ready room where Fleet Commander Savage first knew without any doubt that he was, in fact, in love with Akuma Minako. Seeing her there on the floor, vulnerable like a small child yet strong with the power of her convictions, he knew that despite all the recent turmoil, tradgedies and suffering, fate had brought them both to this place, this time so that they could fulfil some predetermined destiny.

Don’t buy into this bullshit, Karl. You know better than that ..

For the first time that he could ever recall, the antagonistic part of his mind failed to sway his opinion. He finally found something he could not question. He knew this and trusted it completely. He’d never known anything like it.

It could have been seconds, minutes or hours they sat there, looking into eachothers eyes, silently conveying the things that mere words could not. An understanding of sorts dawned on both of them, explaining away the months of friction and anguish.

For that single clarifying moment, they both knew everything they needed to know about eachother, understood finally what it was that brought them to this place, at this time.

They knew what they wanted. Eachother.

“The timing stinks.” Said Savage quietly.

Akuma nodded slowly in agreement.

“Im probably going to die tomorrow.”

Akumas bottom lip trembled, and tears began to flow freely down her face. “You cant die. I love you too much to let that happen. Please, don’t go – abort this stupid mission, Karl. I cant bear the thought of loosing you.”

“I have to go.” Said Savage.

Akuma sat upright. “No, you don’t have to go. Let someone else go instead. Stay here with me, lets just get up and run away from this, this war, all this death and suffering.”

It was Savage who was now shaking his head. “I cant.” He said. “And you know the reason why.”

Akuma couldn’t argue that. She knew all too well that when he made a promise, he would see it through to the end. More than that, she knew it was his duty and despite what she had often heard people say about him, his command abilities, even his questionable heritage, she knew that he was probably the only man she had ever known that she trusted enough to pull this off.

“Don’t get dead on me Karl. I’ll never forgive you if you get yourself killed. Promise me you’ll come back.”

Urghh, no pressure.

“Ok.” he said. “I promise you I’ll try and come back.”

Akuma shook her head. “Not good enough. Promise me you wont die down there.”

He took a moment, thinking hard about what to say, how to say it. He didn’t want to lie to her, didn’t want to give her false hope, yet at the same time, he so badly needed to be able to believe that he would come back. Back to her.

“I promise to come back.”

Again her eyes welled up, her lips became tight and her body shuddered. Then she kissed him.

[RP]

Urghh, that was too mushy? Happy now woman? Right, lets get on with the blood letting.

Guest Mikel

[rp]

GCV-McKendrick

Even though he was writing on his PDA, Nimitz's mind was elsewhere, thinking of the previous ops he had been on, the people that had been killed or maimed, and the wounds he had suffered from them. He had made a deal with the McKendrick marines, after all, even though he was technically a marine, once a marine always a marine. Sighing, he saved what he had been working on and clambered to his feet. The barracks were pretty empty at the moment; most of the marines were probably on duty or at the bar. Rubbing his face, he decided to go take a look around the armory...again. Standing to his full heigh, Nimitz marches out of the barricks....

[/rp]

(RP)

20th/21st May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick,

Alec Nova's Guest Quarters

It was around midnight when Alec began to sleep. Earlier that night he had thought more about the mission. He spoke some notes in his PDA's Log. (Uh, he doesn't really have a rank, so it ain't a commander/captain's log.)

Log

20th of May, 3008. I'm in the GCV-McKendrick. Um, what time is it......

(sound of some junk falling on the floor)

It's almost midnight, so it's more like the 21st of May. Well then, uh, the Vulture was destroyed by Gammulans, and most of the other Mercs I had begun to know are now dead. I wonder if I should still go on with the mission. If they don't need me, then I won't need to go anymore. I'm just afraid I'm gonna die or something. I'm only 27. Well, considering most of the Merc compliment died, those chances are slim. I'm just hoping for the best now. I still wonder what I'm gonna do. I signed up for the mission for my Marine skills, so maybe that's it. A land invasion of some sort. Oh well, I think I'm gonna take a short rest. The briefing is happening soon. Nova, out.

End Log

The corridors outside were beginning to quiet down, as the guests from the Vulture started to calm down and rest a bit.

(/RP)

(This is starting to get good, waiting until the bloodshed starts....)

[ 07-26-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

(RP)

Commander Polovoski had not looked to be in a very good mood. It hadn't taken me long to track down Fleet Commander Savage with the PerScan computer. Last I'd checked, both he and Polovoski had been in the ready room. Her sour expression told me that things had not gone well. No doubt some really bad timing for one piece of news or the other. I figured that Savage was still in the ready room, so I stepped up to knock. I should have checked the computer again. I really should have. Up until that moment, I thought Murphy might give me the day off after the close call aboard the Vulture.

I should have known better.

The door opened, revealing the usual decor of the ready room. It was the right room. The right man, but the wrong woman.

No, I shouldn't say that. I'm not one to say who should be in what relationship with whom, unlike some people in the military heirarchy. But I could swear that I'd seen a regulation somehwere saying that what was happening right in front of me, wasn't supposed to.

My CO, Fleet Commander Savage and my subordinate, Commander Minako, both of them engaging in less than advisable, probably less than legal, and definately less than regulation standard behavior. Both of them quite oblivious to the fact that one's subordinate and the other's commanding officer was standing in the doorway. Namely, one David Foss.

Suddenly Commander Polovoski's expression was a lot more understandable now. I guess some rumors shouldn't be dismissed so easily. I thought quietly.

And this was something that looked like it could blow the rumor-mill wide open. This sucked. It was one thing for rumors to filter down about a celebrity Commander and the head of the fleet. That sort of thing was expected. But when it becomes the head of the fleet and one of the fleet's newest command officers - substantially younger than the average fleet officer, I might add - well... you get the idea.

And here I was, about to get stuck in the middle of it. I could have just stepped back, and no one would have been the wiser. Unfortunately, my feet had rebelled, and I'd just taken two full strides into the room.

With that distance achieved, the door had just closed behind me.

I don't know what my expression was. Probably somewhere between total embarrassment and complete loss of emotional self-control in the face of extreme hilarity.

Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I heard Murphy laughing his arse off, while the best my conscious mind - and consequently, my mouth - could think to say was the word "Oops..."

Fortunately, the word didn't leave my mouth. There'd been no air moving past the old vocal chords for that.

Unfortunately, it was right around then that I cleared my throat.

I didn't smile, I swear! I didn't even smirk! At least that's my story, and I'm sticking to it! Unfortunately, with Savage's less than... shall we say... hospitable expression, I think I may have indeed been smirking... But only a little!

(/RP)

I'm back... personal I-net access should be up and running in a day or two.

(Akuma Takes over the Keyboard) Hee hee And it's my fault! Yea me!!!!!!

(Foss re-aquires keyboard...)

(very tiny voice)

help me..... she's invaded.

[rp]

The meeting between Gallion and Wold came to an abrupt halt at the intruder alert klaxon. Mouthing something that was lost in the din, Gallion and York headed off to their station.

As this wasn't his ship, nor did he have any assignments, Wold decided to stay put.

Staying put didn't necessarily mean idle. Grabbing several snacks, he then disconnected the console and hooked in the box, which he had dubbed Gin.

While waiting for Gin to do her magic his thoughts turned to the box. Gin just didn't 'hack' into the system. Instead it more or less grafted itself into the host system in a series of steps. That still wasn't accurate, but it was the most he had been able to figure out. An absent minded grin began to appear on his face as a few memories of his escape day filtered in.

His escape had been aided by several factors. The group conducting the experiments wasn't supposed to exist so they weren't able to yell for extra security when he got loose. They were also located in an 'sealed-off', abandoned underground facility left over from 20th century cold war days. It was much larger then the current operation and a game of cat and mouse had ensued. He was positive they would have gotten him if it hadn't been for what he called Divine Providence. Entering a tech room through a never used door a suprised tech had no chance to react and immediately started babbling to save his life. 2 of the 'boxes' had been partially ID'd for others and were useless so he promptly destroyed them, the 3rd one he commandered. Not knowing how Gin worked, or that it had a hidden, sadistic 'personality', he had lightly tapped into the security system. The whole purpose had been to map a route out of the complex. What brought that grin was the chaos brought about when he had effectively yanked the plug on the security connection. The action had labotomized a good portion of the security computers setting off every alarm in the whole compound. Armed goons crawling in each nook and crannie, locks working then failing, and

A slight beeping noise penetrates Wold's mental wandering. Focusing on the screen a red warning light is flashing. "Well, Gin," he murmers, "I wonder why the commander has been ignoring that hack attack from engineering? They don't seem to have gotten in yet....." He gives Gin the order to clear the alarm. Wonder what has that commander soooo distracted.... "Gin, give me a bridge view."

A ghosted feed from the bridge security camera then fills the screen. The officers seem to be busy doing their dutys, but 1 or 2 are missing from the bridge. Ah, Commander Polovoski... Why does she keep glaring at the ready room?

"Gin, pull up that security camera in the ready room."

A short but brisk arguement ensues with Gin finally giving in, reactivating the security camera and passing another ghosted feed to the screen.

"My, my, what have we here?? Gin, I know Savage, but who are the other 2?"

"IF you must know..."

"I wouldn't ask if I didn't need to know, now who are they?"

"Foss and Akuma, both Galcom commanders."

"Gin, activate the speaker in that ready room and your mic."

The tension in the ready room was extremely visible. Wold didn't know what any one's reaction was going to be.

The speaker in the ready room pops to life, "Ahem, Commander Savage, this is Commander Wold. You know, you give new meaning to the term 'ready room'. It is very very tempting to pass this, ah, video feed to the rest of the ship, just to stir the pot a bit? Wonder what that would do for ship moral?"

The eye's of Akuma catch Wold's attention. He wasn't sure what it was, a hurting kindred spirit maybe? Made him think of his own wife...

Wold continues with barely a break. "I won't though. For Akuma's sake I won't. BTW, did you know that you have a rather agitated commander on the other side of that door? She looks ready to chew deck plates. Need anything else? Coffee? Tea? Pastries?"

[/rp]

[ 06-25-2001: Message edited by: Wold ]

Just to make things perfectly clear, Jet Thompson is quite mad at the momment, and I don't mean angry

[RP]

20th May, 3008

GCV-McKendrick

Detention Hold

The merc watching Jet had long ago fallen asleep and Jet had refrained from looking from side to side long enough to attempt to remove the man's chair out from under him. The hardest part was that he was trying to do it with his mind and would have given up long ago but he could have swore he saw it wiggle a little.

The rat that had been admiring the merc's boots was now moving in for a closer look. Jet spotted the rat and was terribly surprised to find the rat somewhat resembled a potatoe. Sniffing the air he thought there was also a faint scent of baked potatoe. This required further examination, Jet decided he would have to taste the rat to find out if it was indeed a rat and not a baked potatoe.

Falling onto his stomach, Jet began to crawl toward the rat. The twitches in his left arm made crawling more difficult but he thought he had sufficient speed to outrun a baked potatoe.

CLUNG!

"Ow," Jet said quietly after running into some metal bars he could have sworn were not there before. They would have to go.

Thompson grabbed the top of the closest bar and pulled as hard as he could. With a loud screeching noise the top of the bar came loose. He then did the same to the bottom and repeated this until he could crawl through. Surprisingly the merc was still asleep.

Crawling through the gap he could suddenly hear a buzzing noise, like that of electricity. Scanning the area he found something in which he could not recall the name too, so he decided to call it a scourge. This scourge would also have to go.

"Son of a!" the merc suddenly yelled as the rat bit his leg. Jet wondered how a baked potatoe could bite someone, but decided not to think about that.

The merc just noticed Jet and said, "What are you trying to do? You may have broken through the bars, but if you touch that containment field it's gonna fry you."

The bars! Of course! Jet grabbed one of the bars and chucked it at the scourge. The was a large buzzing sound but it was still there. Grabbing the bar again he chucked it back at the scourge, still nothing. He would have continued this but forgot why he was doing it and suddenly heard something new.

He couldn't quite make out what the noise was so he ran a scan and discovered that it was the voice of Alec Nova. He also discovered that Alec was human and he couldn't quite remember what they looked like but was pretty sure they resembled giant dragonflies.

"Alec!" he yelled out, unsure of why. He figured he must have been yelling for a good reason so he continued to do it.

[/RP]

Sorry my computer was messed up.

[RP] PING PING PING

A marine was walking down a small side corridor when he first heard the noise. He hurried over to a small coontrolpanel to find Commander Maddox shoved inside.

"Finally, They might be gone by now, but I think you Had an intruder. Now I need to get out of this hole and up to the bridge. I have some ordering of my own to do." [RP]

How's that for a catch up?

Caine woke up from troubled sleep. He guessed that being virtually held prisoner makes it difficult to get a good night's sleep.

After calling on the lights, he stood up and made his way groggily to the bathroom.

"Well, at least things are quieter now, I haven't heard an explosion, or klaxxon in hours."

Now clean-shaven, and his hair a little more ordered, he called up the vid screen he had been watching the night before. After punching a few commands, he was satisfied that there was only one more broadcast involving the LEO, and it was just an edited, late-night version of the one he had already seen. Although he still had trouble resisting a brief chuckle when the ship was defined as a Mergeron.

Finding the door to his room once again unlocked, he left in search of the few people he could call allies. Kathy, and the three engineers that accompanied him to the Vulture. One of the Engineers were still in the med-bay, accompanied by Kathy. He was stable, but his leg would be a while in healing enough to leave still.

As he entered the Medibay, Caine smiled at the muttered curses and complaints that usually accompanied his CMO's work.

"Dammit, What do you mean that equipment is restricted? I don't give a damn who has to authorise..."

Muffled speaking could be heard in responce.

"Well if you want him gone so badly, clear me so I can treat him properly!"

As Caine rounded the corner, he saw Kathy tearing hunks out of a younger intern who was looking very apologetic, and a little white. She was standing beside a bed which held the engineer, who was sitting with a miserable expression on his face, a cast over his left femur.

Finally she threw her hands up in resignation, and told the man to go to his quarters and sit. He would have to wait for the CMO before he could be healed properly.

As he walked by, he muttered something about her yelling hurting his ears more than the break his leg. Smiling, Caine walked up to her.

"Anything interesting to tell me?"

"Nada, and they won't give me acess to the tools I'd need to fix the implant either. They're taking things really serious here."

Caine nodded.

"Well, I'm working on it, so be patient, please. And tell the same to the others, I don't want any of my men trying to sabotage this out of spite. Something important is happening here, one that goes beyond money."

She lifted an eyebrow before giving him an 'aye' and returning to her work.

Caine then left the Medibay, and returned to the bar where he asked the server-droid what there was for breakfast.

[rp]

UCV 'LEO'

Bridge

"Cloak active and nominal."

Everyone on duty was as nervous as Jo was, if they were to be discovered this close to Earth, they were likely to be arrested on site- possably even outright attacked. It had been two years since she and Caine disappeared from the system, leaving the academy to pursue their own interests.

"A difference of opinions" Was what Caine called it, while Earthcom called it plain old ordinary treason. The charges were false, of course, but there was no evidence to clear his name. That was burned long ago. It didn't bother Jo much though, the mercenary life leant itself to their talents nicely.

"Allright everyone, now the fun begins. We're entering the patrolled zones. I don't want us to come within fifty clicks of ANY ships, patroll or otherwise. The Graf-Spee hasn't contacted us, and as far as we can tell it has buggered off. We're on our own here, and we're flying into the hornet's nest just when it's about to get whacked by a rock."

Jo thought for a few seconds before turning to her security officer. "Darla"

"Ya?" The well built woman came foreward.

"Head down and invite our guests up, they might be of some help."

Nodding, the woman left the bridge.

--------

UCV 'LEO'

Deck three, guest quarters.

Darla nodded to the guard sitting outside the door that led to their guests. They had been surprisingly quiet since their arrival here.

Darla knocked on the door and waited for a response.

[/rp]

She looks built like China, but with blond hair pulled back into a neat ponytail, and in a uniform

Who is your guests? I am assuming that it is Me and Smith?

[RP]

"Come in" Commander Maddox sighed. He didn't like being held prisoner. Then she entered. The was strickingly pretty but Maddox paid her no attention.

"Smith get in here."

"Coming sir." Smith rounded a corner and then saw her. He paid her no attenton seeing as how Smith was Maddox's Droid. (Ha ha hows that for stuning)

"I suppose you want us to come to the bridge because you're in patrolled areas and don't want to be detected. I will help you on one condition, you have to let us leave, on a shuttle, you can launch it right before you launch."

"I am sorry, sir but you will have to talk to my captain about that."

"Very well I will follow you."

Maddox walked out of the room, Smith floating behind him. they walked down the corridor to the turbolift.

"Bridge" Maddox said.

"Sir we have left that woman behind."

"Oh well, I don't care. It's not like the PERSCAN can't follow us. I bet the captain is looking at it now. Wondering if we know that that gaurd was sopposed to stay behind and "fix up" somethings in our room. Like a bug maybe. Maybe some remote-control gas canisters. 'The captian wants to see you because we are in patrolled area and want to stay hidden' Yeah that's really original."

"Captain Maddox-"

"I am not a captain anymore, I am a prisoner."

"Very well then sir, Prisoner Maddox, I believe you are suffering from what theyy call Paranoia. We simply left the guard behind. She is on the next Turbo lift Down and will arrive on the Bridge approximately 4.5 seconds after we do."

"Smith don't make me deactivate you."

They stepped off the turbo lift and exactly like Smith said the guard stepped off the next turbolift. 4 secondsw after Maddox stepped off his.

"Now Captain, you want to avoid those ships?"

"Yes we do."

"Very well, calibrate your cloaking device to Mark 4.9.2.34. That will put us on a rotating frecuency that will sufficently cover you if you launch a craft."

"Belay that order."

"Do you want my help or not?"

[/RP]

You may do what you wish with my characters, just be reasonable.

heh, don't worry

[rp]

UCV 'LEO'

Bridge

Jo Shtann stood as the turbolift entered, and stepped over to greet her guests. But before she could get a word from her mouth, Maddox opened his.

"Now Captain, you want to avoid those ships?"

Jo knew an experienced officer when she saw one, and Maddox just removed any doubt.

"Well, it would be nice of you to assist." She smiled, not fully expecting them to just give her the help she asked for.

"Very well, calibrate your cloaking device to Mark 4.9.2.34. That will put us on a rotating frecuency that will sufficently cover you if you launch a craft."

Jo was quick to act, sh wouldn't be so off guard that she would allow them opportunity to steal a craft and leave.

"Belay that, Huber."

"Do you want my help or not?" Maddox was standing stiffly at attention, like a General at Parade. He was trying to intimidate her now.

"Sorry, captain, but you will have to remain on-ship for the time being." Her words were smooth, and she looked plainly into the man's face, her feline eyes meeting his.

"We mercs aren't that stupid."

Maddox met her gaze, and flatly responded.

"Those are my terms. I give you the rotation, you let me off. I have other things to attend to..."

Jo interrupted him, her voice raising slightly.

"Well you've just become part of our business. Deal with it. A few of ours have been sucked into something, and I think you're on the other end of it. Untill we get out of this fiasco, you're riding with us. And fair warning..If we're discovered, you're fellow commanders will be likely to shoot us first, and study the slag after."

Jo only hoped she got her point across. She couldn't really tell. She hoped he understood that he was in as much danger as everyone else. After pausing for a few seconds, her voice returned to normal.

"Look, we're all in hot water here, and all I want to do is get my men back, and leave the area. Things would proceed a lot faster if we could get a little help...even maybe some information. I don't care who's on what side, or even who is right. It's plain old ordinary survival. When it's all said and done, I'll drop you off anyewhere you want that's safe."

[/rp]

your turn, Maddox

Two can play at that game.

[RP]

"So you think you can boss me around? Well you have forgotten one thing. I don't know about you but your crew, they are as stupid as they look. I have here a standard issue distress beacon from GalCom. Your crew left it in the right front pocket in my pants."

He pulled out a silver oval and held it up. His thumb pressed the button.

"Now it has a saftey feature. If I let my thumb off this button, then it will send out a modified signal. It will say, I quote 'Commander Maddox of the GCV-HarksRader is being held hostage by a group of raiders they are cloaked.' It will reapeat that message. Over and over."

I wonder if they realize that this is the remote to Smith. Oh well, even if they do call my bluff, I will let my thumb off this button and they will be suprised as Smith goes into lockdown, Maddox thought to himself. Then Smith will go into armor mode, Class IV Titanium sheets will cover every inch of his robotic body. Then he will send out a distress call. And GalCom will shoot this ship out of space. They don't care about me. I am nothing to them. Maddox thought. Then Maddox looked at all the armored guards that were around him. HE slowly closed his hand over the remote, the gears of his robotic hand slowly crushing the remote. The lights of the "distress beacon" flickered and then died as a flash came from inside of it's casing. He placed the remote back in his pocket.

"On second thought, your way sounds much better, now if you will callibrate your cloacking device to MK 12.7.5 then your cloaking device will scatter all high powered scans done by GalCom vessels, and thus letting you scan them with out them noticing it. The only draw back is that we will have to work quickly because your cloacking device, at this setting, will radiate us into goo in how long Smith?"

"Approximately 14 hours."

"So we can't dawdle.

"Now captain, your decision will be...."

[RP]

I decided to have fun with this.

Nice

[rp]

UCV 'LEO'

Bridge

--------

Jo didn't have to wait long before the man replied. But is was something that she hadn't expected.

"So you think you can boss me around? Well you have forgotten one thing. I don't know about you but your crew, they are as stupid as they look. I have here a standard issue distress beacon from GalCom. Your crew left it in the right front pocket in my pants."

He removed a small metallic object from his clothing, and held it in the palm of his hand, his thumb covering a small button.

"If I let my thumb off this button, then it will send out a modified signal. It will say, I quote 'Commander Maddox of the GCV-HarksRader is being held hostage by a group of raiders they are cloaked.' It will reapeat that message. Over and over."

Looking to a nearby officer, he shrugged and shook his head as to say "Damned if I know"

Jo had to agree, they had been out of contact with Galcom for two years... who knows what they came up with since then? Still, Jo just silently put a hand on her hip and waited. There was no way someone would be crazy, or loyal, enough to sacrifice his own life over a merc ship. She just hoped she was right.

After what felt an eternity, the man seemed to be reconsidering, and finally, his hand tightened around the object. A slight whirr sounded as the cybernetic limb crushed the trigger, and he replaced it into his pocket.

Jo's expression barly changed, but relief flooded through her at the act. It seemed these people still knew how to think for themselves after-all.

"On second thought, your way sounds much better, now if you will callibrate your cloacking device to MK 12.7.5 then your cloaking device will scatter all high powered scans done by GalCom vessels, and thus letting you scan them with out them noticing it. The only draw back is that we will have to work quickly because your cloacking device, at this setting, will radiate us into goo in how long Smith?"

"Approximately 14 hours."

"So we can't dawdle.

Jo nodded, and thanked the man as Huber reset the cloak. She then turned to her communications officer. "I want a level two alert, and see if you can find a way to reduce the radiation impact."

As everyone set about their tasks, Jo moved towards her ready-room.

"Come with me, commander, now that you've shown us a little trust it's my turn."

Unshure at what she was getting at, Maddox followed her more from curiosity than anything else. When he walked through the door to the room, the first thing he saw was a large display of old pistols and rifles, along with a variety of combat knives...new and old,,,and even several decorated and etched swords. The display didn't quite fit the ship, or Jo.

As the Vesperon sat behind a simple desk, she removed a knife from her hip to place it on the desk, the only part visible a decorated, polished wood hilt. She gestured to one of the seats on the other side of the desk.

"You're probably wondering about the Decor... It's a fascination of my husbands. He calls them works of art... I call them an annoyance."

As Maddox looks over, he can recognise a couple examples of twentieth century designs, and a couple early 24th. They were a strange mix. An M-16 next to a 24th cen pf-30 handgun... an 18th century broadsword next to a lazer-sharpened carbide fillament combat knife (Labelled 'the griffon')

She then gestured to the knife on the table.

"This was a wedding gift from a friend of his. It's your basic triple-dagger, but made using all the modern amenities."

Maddox was looking a litle annoyed by the time Jo stopped talking. Now she just kind of sat there, looking at him as she collected her thoughts.

"Umm...Jo...is it? I thought you had something to discuss with me. If it's going to be knives and pistols, I'd rather not. I don't like having my time wasted."

Jo straightened in her chair, smiling slightly to herself.

"Ok then, on to the chase. Starting from the top... we recieved a distress signal about two days ago, and moved in to see what we could do."

Here, Jo was entering the dangerous information, but if it got some answers that would help her find her husband, she didn't really care.

"The ships name was the 'Vulture'...I see you've heard of it." She took note of his change in posture, the stiffining of his back, the slight change in his face. "My husband went aboard with equipment and a few crew members, and it was business as usual as we haggled over prices and whatnot. Then a ship decloaked on our bow, and ordered us to surrender. At that time someone also pulled a gun on my husband back on the ship. Needless to say we were a little on the short end, and were forced to comply. Shortly after, communication was cut with Caine, and the vulture continued on it's way without us."

Jo took a short pause.

"We managed to strike a deal with the Graf Spee, " Jo saw he recognised that name too, but she continued without pause. "and followed the Vulture untill it's eventual destruction. We still haven't determined what it was that caused the structural collapse, but it wasn't a volly from this ship as the news had been broadcasting."

"Since then we've followed a cloaked ship untill we came across your distress signal and lost it. Now we've calculated that it's heading for the moon...at least near as we can figure. If you have any idea what is going on, I'd appreciate your enlightening us."

[/rp]

Well, we just gave you some big information... your turn!

Chavik left the bridge deep in thought. Form a team, Blades had said. Easier said than done. There was really no one here he could trust with the exception of Rattler. Chavik wondered how many mercs were left. At least they had no loyalty beyond payment. This set off another round of thinking. At least Blades trusted Rattler. Or did he? Chavik didn't like that line of thought either and began concentrating on the supplies and the shuttles he had bought.

He was amazed the shuttles had actually survived the trip. What with the attack and the transfer to the McKendrick and all. He was slightly less amazed that they had been able to follow. The scanners had been made to do just that, scan. But they had not been designed to maintain a lock on a personal ttd that was inside a military ship that transmitted with much greater power. Or so he had thought all these years.

Chavik made his way down to the shuttle launch bay.where the flight engineers were just bringing in his shadows. There was a general hubbub but the crew moved quickly and efficiently. Ms. Polovoski had a good crew. The McKendrick's shuttles were moved back to their launch bays and Chavik's shuttles were jockey into some semblance of order.

"Commander Chavik?" a young man asked.

"Yes," he replied. Blades must have warned them he would be coming to inspect the shuttles at some point in time.

"Shuttles are secure and ready for inspection sir."

"Thank you," said Chavik as he proceeded towards the shuttles. The first two inspections went without incedent. He almost had enough to start a small warehouse. He should, he had practically mortgaged an entire complex to purchase the goods. It would take several months of profits from the various supply depots to make up for this spending spree. As he preused the inventory he checked to make sure Gorbush had not cheated him. Not that it would matter for the moment but Chavik had built a fairly strong network of traders and other contacts and could make life difficult for him in the future.

Inspection of the third shuttle revealed a reather unpleasant surprise. When the cargo door opened a young Zelon was standing there with his arms crossed. His eyes flared briefly as he demanded, "I want my skimmer back."

Chavik was dumbfounded. "Z'ed, how did you get here?" he aasked.

"I stayed aboard when I set the last shuttle to track you. Now I want my skimmer back."

"Son, I bought that skimmer from your employer. As much as you liked it I own it now."

"It wasn't his to sell!" wailed Z'ed. "I was the one who found it in the dead zone. I found the parts for it. I fixed it. It's mine."

"You shouldn't have come. do you realize how much trouble this is going to cause?"

"I don't care, he was a slave driver. I never would have been able to work off my debt to him. He had it set up that way."

Chavik hung his head and shook it that in this day and age such practices could still go on. It was no better than the current relationship between the Gammulans and the Falkeries. "Wait right here and we'll get you situated for now." Chavik walked over to a comms terminal and paged Blades. "Uhh Blades, we have a small problem. I suggest you have him escorted to medical and checked out." He returned to Z'ed. "Stay here, someone will be along to get you."

"Not without my skimmer they won't," said Z'ed, pouting.

"Yes they will, for the simple fact that it won't fit in the halls, now stay put!" Chavik left more flustered than he would have liked. Finding Z'ed aboard the McKendrick had been a shock. He couldn't blame the kid though. He did seem to have had a rough time of it when Chavik had met him.

Once again in thought Chavik began wandering the halls of the ship. He was beginning to appreciate what little he knew of the Corsair's appreciation of that old curmudgeon Murphy. A thought formed in Chavik's head. Half a though. Half an idea. Half a solution to the beginning of a very big problem.

Chavik began walking the halls of the McKendrick with purpose. He finally found his objective in the library. He almost hadn't recognized him but the reading light highlighted his "necklace". As he approached the Corsair slowly closed the selection he had been reading and delicately put it on the floor. He looked at the floor and appeared to be talking to himself. Chavik imagined he caught words such as "deer", "antler", "herd", and was certain he caught mention of Gallion's erstwhile friend Murphy. Finally he looked up at Chavik. "Yes?"

Chavik returned the stare for a moment and swallowed. Gallion was no stranger to him or the Insurgents. Might as well get it over with. "I need your help."

The Corsair began to grin. He grinned so wide it parodied the necklace permanently emblazoned on his neck.

(rp)

The speaker fell dead, and I could only stand there, doing my best to avoid being reassigned to a desk... again.

Savage and Akuma stared, at a loss for words, first at the speaker, then at me. I couldn't help but be amused at the what the hell are you doing here expression that was currently painted plain as day on Fleet Commander Savage's face.

Finally, I found my voice, and elected to answer Blades' silent question without further delay.

"Sir, I request permission to be assigned to the away team. Akira may be injured, and I believe it would be best to have someone with medical experience on hand to tend to him."

(/rp)

[rp]

Ok, so there I was, I was angry as hell...I knew that his girlfriend was angry and I wanted to get as far away as I could...So again, there I was, kissing him...KISSING him in the ready room! And if that wasn't enough Commander David Foss had to walk in AND apparantly Wold up in security or somthing like that makes the tension and embarrassment 10x worse that it already was!

Oooooh I'm so about to die! I mean he's my commanding officer...Ah correction Foss and him are my commanding officers and he's twice as old as I am...(But he dosen't look it) and here I am KISSING him in the ready room.

What the hell happened to defecting? Oh don't get me wrong, I don't want to leave now..But when Nena Povlowskishimer or whatever he name was manages to get alone with me? I'm dead, plain and simple, I mean I can cat fight but she could tear me apart! And honestly? I kinda feel bad about hurting her feelings like that....Kinda being the key word here.

Okay finally so there I was trying to get this all sorted out in my head Blades is glaring at the camera as if wishing he had some sort of psyonic ability to destroy the thing and then at Foss, again with that glare that I think if he did have psyonic abilities would squish Foss' head into a little ball then teleport it out some air lock...When Foss' voice brought me back to reality...

"Sir, I request permission to be assigned to the away team. Akira may be injured, and I believe it would be best to have someone with medical experience on hand to tend to him."

Away team? My first reaction was fear, he might be injured? Ohh...What if he's dead?! My second reaction was vigouous nodding. Jerk. And well I couldn't talk so I just kept nodding...Bah.

[/rp]

lookin fer mercs? I happen to know a few...

[rp]

The breakfast Caine managed to get from the droid was simple enough... some eggs, a few hash-browns, and juice.

*Figures, where's good ol' barley in a can when you need it.*

The place was surprisingly quiet as Caine ate, with only the occasional junior officer coming in from duty, or just before going on shift. He felt very much the outcast there, and was always wanting to look over his shoulder. Just as he was finishing his meal, one of the engineers came in, and upon spying Caine, moved to join him.

"Any news?"

The officer shook his head. "Nadda, the iron curtain is still up and strong. We aren't even allowed to do anything around here but sit in our 'guest' quarters and stare at a bulkhead. If I don't get something to tinker with soon, I'm going to go stir crazy here!"

Caine just smiled. It was no doubt that he felt the same. Still, what was it said about idle hands being the devil's tools?

"Ok then, how about I give you a little challenge then." He leaned forewards slightly as an idea hit him on how to leave behind a breadcrumb for his ship. He lowered his voice so that it was barely audible.

"Build me a pocket beacon."

"A...what, sir?"

"A pocket beacon. Something about the size of a fist...smaller if possable, that will emit something...anything, that will get the attention of a ship."

"Um... I don't think it'll be possable, any of the parts that could even be remotely used for something like that are restricted. Besides, isn't something like that a little Overdone?"

Caine leaned back slightly. "Maybe, but at least it'll give you something to do. I don't care if it's a glorified paint can with a hole in it. You'll think of something I'm sure. I just want something that will point the LEO in the right direction."

"Do you even think they'll be out this way?"

"Does it matter?" Caine patted the man on the shoulder before getting up, and walking out of the room, leaving the engineer to think.

Guest Mikel

[rp]

GCV-McKendrick

The dozens of glistening parts were easy to see in the bright light of the armory. Nimitz's mind went over them, recalling their name from memory. After assuring himself that all the parts were there, he begun the fairly easy task of reassembly. When he was finished, he handed it over to the Sergeant in charge of the armory. "Thank you for the time," Nimitz told the armorer. "Any time for a fellow Sergeant," he responded and offered his hand. They shoke hands and Nimitz left the armory. "Where to go? What to do," his mind silently inquired Picking a random direction, he walks down a corridor. After walking for a little, he found himself in the libary. Seeing two men having a conversation, he moves over to a bookshelf on the opposite of the libary to see the selection. Ahh..Sun Tzu's the Art of War..he's got a answer for everything Sliding the book of the shelf, Nimitz finds a chair as far away from the men as possible and begins reading...

[/rp]

[RP]

"I have heard of those ships but you know all that I know. Now did you salvage the communicator from my ship? The communicator itself is dead but the GALNews link was working. We could look it up if you want. you will just need to do a few adjustments so they can't trace the feed but Smith can do it. For now I propose a truce. Betwenn me and Smith and you and your entire crew. Do you accpet?"

Maddox looked at the female with impatence in his bright green eyes.

[RP]

Boy this Merc thing is fun.

isn't it though?

[rp]

UCV 'LEO'

Ready-room

Jo was agreeable enough to the truce, but she wasn't quite ready .to let her guard down.

"Agreed, so long as you don't try and contact any outside ships with my express permission, I think we can be at least civil to eachother untill this is over and done with. Unfortunately we didn't have the time to snag any salvage for you, but we can patch up a link easily enough I'm sure. It'll just take a little longer. Maybe while you're at it, you can try to figure out why they decided to set us up as the scapegoat in this."

Jo casually hit a command on the console to her desk.

"How's the cloak doing Carson?"

It was a second before the message to engineering was answered, but the voice on the other line was calm and unhurried.

"Just fine so far, unfortunately we won't be able to extend the safe-zone of the cloak though. The only way to do that is by boosting the shielding, and that'll create a ghost signal that'll defeat the purpose of the cloak in the first place."

Jo was silent for a few seconds.

"Well, you might as well come up here then and hive our guests a hand with getting into GALnews. Your men can handle things for now."

A quick 'aight' came over before the comm was ended.

"Carson will give you a hand. Remember one thing though, we're on the clock here."

With that said, Jo turned to the small vid-screen on her desk. They were effectively dismissed. (Unless you had more to say, of course.)

[/rp]