Canadian Winter

Korivak

Today was the first real day of winter here in Ottawa. Freezing winds, drifting snow and all that jazz. There was a snowplow in the ditch on the Queensway and all secondary roads were closed. The snow in the driveway was knee deep, the snowbank at the end of the driveway was waist high thick packed snow. I'm 6 feet tall, just to give you an idea of what knee deep and waist high mean. There was, and this is a pretty major thing for Ottawa, a snowday at school, so i enjoyed a fairly typical Canadian Snow Day...ie spent half the time i gained from not having to go to school shoveling the driveway. There are now snowbanks 3 to 5 feet high and 5 feet deep the entire length of both sides of the driveway, and it's not even January yet...where am i gonna put the rest of the year's snow?

So, the five dollar question of the day is: aren't you glad you don't live in Ottawa? Florida looks pretty nice now, eh SC? Unless you are one of the ppl, like me, who loves winter anyways...in which case, it's all good.

------------------

Commander Markus Korivak

GCV Norfolk (pending commission), ISSHQ (Saturn)

ISS, Defense Wing

ISS Fleet Defence Wing GCV Norfolk

"Honour is what no man can give you, and no man can take away"

I'm in Calgary. You think you've got it bad? We had -30 yes folks -30 weather yesterday. With a HIGH of -22...A friggin HIGH!

Heh...Anyway Calgary's so erratic in it's weather that I wouldn't be surprised if next week is nice and warm out. Sucks to be me...

cwm13.gif

------------------

Commander Akuma Minako

GCV - Tenchi, Orion Starstation (CENTRIS)

Deterrence Battle Group

www.orion-hq.fsnet.co.uk

Funny thing is quite a few Americans think that ALL of Alaska is like, er, like your combined Ottowa & Calgary weather year-round! cwm27.gif

Course Valdez averages 30+ ft of snow every winter, Fairbanks, Tok, Galena, and all those other interior towns can run down to -70F w/o wind-chill factor. Anchorage...moderate...fact is we still only have 1 inch of snow! biggrin.gif 'Course, that's not normal....MUST be global warming....

Don't you feel warmer just thinking about it?? cwm27.gif

------------------

Commodore Wold

ICV-Drakr, Spectre HQ (Antis)

Commanding Officer, Spectre HQ

Spectre Fleet

ICQ 4669033

"You can only love or hate something you truly understand"

[This message has been edited by Wold (edited 12-13-2000).]

Ah, Ottawa. I remember it well. I was born and raised there, and never growing up, did I ever suspect that there are places on this earth that have less snow. When I moved here to T.O. (That's Toronto) I felt guilty about how warm it is. (We only had a foot of snow) I do miss the cross country skiing.

Ok you popsicles. I don't want to hear another word. wink.gif It was 70 degrees yesterday with thunderstorms ans tornadoes. Today it's 28 and we have snow on the ground.

Alabama ought to change it's slogan to "Alabama, we have every kind of nasty weather you can imagine". biggrin.gif

------------------

Vice Admiral Chavik

ICV Phoenix, Sygan Starstation (Sygan)

Fleet Leader - Balor Fleet

Official BC3K Tester

hehe, Blades, I have tried a British summertime... sorry, your weather is nothing compared to what happens in TORNADO ALLEY. The weather here in Oklahoma is much like Charles description: 80 degrees F. one day with a foot of snow and 20 deg. F. temps the next. Wait, that's not all. Combined with 60mph cold north winds and the wind chill factor drives the temp back down into the negatives smile.gif

I don't mind the cold though. Were it not for being Canada, I'd rather enjoy the weather in Toronto and/or Ottawa smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Akira (edited 12-17-2000).]

Here in California... well I don't think you really want to hear it... eh maybe just a little, I'm typing this in jeans and a T-Shirt, and it looks to be a nice moderate 65 - 68 degree day. Very sunny out I should add... California where we have moderate seasons, moderate temperatures, moderate climate, moderate(ly wierd) people and every once in a completely random while a 7.8 earthquake that levels buildings, destroys highways, yadda yadda...

You guys would be warm here, but to me it's cold cwm4.gif

A low of 20 degrees with wind chill -8.

But the thing is the quick changes, ie. thunderstorms and tornadoes last night ice and snow this morning, well that's Georgia for ya.

------------------

Cmdr. J.Smith

GCV-Rosetta, Starbase Fenrir

Wraith Fleet/Marauder Wing

http://www.geocities.com/jsmit85