United and American Airlines, new nonstop service

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this quite funny, but all those pics (including those in the previous thread) reflect one thing : the desire to kill Afghans. Please leave them alone. Please.

And the SC asked that nothing about making a war or about seeking vengeance shall be posted, and that is an element of vengeace and war.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

I agree that this quite funny, but all those pics (including those in the previous thread) reflect one thing : the desire to kill Afghans. Please leave them alone. Please.

And the SC asked that nothing about making a war or about seeking vengeance shall be posted, and that is an element of vengeace and war.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

I see them as the desire to kill terrorists.

It's just a joke, it isn't vulgar, so will everyone just LIGHTEN UP?

Sorry, I don't really find this funny at all. I don't mean to be a kill joy but it's very violent in thought don't you think?

Last forum people wanted to bomb my ancestors (The chinese thank you very much), and now you want to bomb people in afgahanastan because of terrorists?

Personally I'd like to see this all resolved peacefully. SC please lockdown this topic. I'm very unimpressed.

You have GOT to be kidding me!

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

OK:

1: I do not see anyone being killed in that photo.

2: If there's a problem with that, then why don't we just not play BCM, which effectively simulates killing THOUSANDS of people (assassin caste, too, heh).

3: If you don't find something funny, that is fine. But please quit trying to CENSOR jokes that are NOT racist, NOT vulgar, etc. If we're going to complain about violence, then perhaps we should all look at the NATURE of this forum, the BATTLEcruiser Online Forum.

Unless Derek totally disagrees with me, there will be NO locking down threads UNLESS they are racist, vulgar, adult-oriented, etc. There is NO reason for that, especially considering the things that have been PEACEFULLY posted here in the past.

So, unless there is something posted that falls in those catergories, please quit asking for locked threads. Admins/moderators are NOT here to take sides or to censor jokes/opinions based upon IDEOLOGIES. You may disagree with someone's point of view. You may find something distasteful. But unless there is something that is absolutely, unilaterally in poor taste, it will NOT be censored.

Lest you forget, governments have tried to censor GAMES that we REGULARLY talk about on here, and that are EXETREMELY violent. Should we not talk/joke about them too?

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: aramike ]

I see the thought police out in force this evening. I am not going to explain this picture, if you don't get the joke, then you take this PC stuff WAY above and BEYOND what is normal or safe. It is a PICTURE!!! Nothing more, nothing less, get a grip!!!

I agree with you, aramike. This picture is targeted twoards alfghan terrorists, not civilians. And we shouldn't close threads based on a few people's opinions. Unless somthing is truly vulgar, it shouldn't be closed.

And he's right about another thing: this is a forum devoted twoard (I have no idea how to spell that word ), when you think about it, a very violent game. Think, RANDOM, a weapon that can demolish an entire planet. And think about the little argument we had about BCM's ECRB rating (I'm with SC on that). We come from a rather vilolent generation, with violence everywhere.

So let's not let a little grey area get in the way of the fun.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

I'm not talking about the picture buddy I'm talking about the text that goes along with it.

As for video games that's totally different. That's fantasy. What that image is relating to is in fact reality.

I find this very VERY offensive.

What about all those WWII games? People died in WWII, a lot of them, I don't find those games offensive, in fact I like playing WWII games. So if someone doesn't like the thread in this forums, they have the option not to click and read that thread.

quote:

Originally posted by Akuma Minako:

I'm not talking about the picture buddy I'm talking about the text that goes along with it.

As for video games that's totally different. That's fantasy. What that image is relating to is in fact reality.

I find this very VERY offensive.

That picture is no more placed in "reality" than a game based upon World War Two, as Soback pointed out.

In any case, it is a political, ideological statement if taken seriously. Those planes are NOT bombing people, necessarily. They may be bombing facilities, for all you know.

In other words, you're letting your imagination run wild with a simple joke and then demanding that it be taken away.

Sorry, but in the free world, opinions are ALLOWED. And if my opinions offend you, oh well. Same thing if your opinions offend me. Oh well.

No, you know what? That's not true. Okay? I read almost every forum or thread that comes up on here. And I don't just turn my head and look the other way when I see somthing so blatently offensive.

You know what? I'm being stubborn. You know why I'm bring stubborn? Because I feel a lot of pain for what those Americans went through and I don't want more of the same to ensue!

I've been depressed for WEEKS about this. I've been Angry, upset and torn down for weeks! I'm sick of this crap. You know what? I'm just plain sick of it! And I have a right to express that! So how do you feel about that?

quote:

Originally posted by Akuma Minako:

No, you know what? That's not true. Okay? I read almost every forum or thread that comes up on here. And I don't just turn my head and look the other way when I see somthing so blatently offensive.

You know what? I'm being stubborn. You know why I'm bring stubborn? Because I feel a lot of pain for what those Americans went through and I don't want more of the same to ensue!

I've been depressed for WEEKS about this. I've been Angry, upset and torn down for weeks! I'm sick of this crap. You know what? I'm just plain sick of it! And I have a right to express that! So how do you feel about that?

A LOT of people are hurt over this. I am as much as you. That does not mean that we stop people from exercising their rights. That does not mean that YOUR way of coping takes precedence over another person's way of coping.

Just relax. If you don't like something, say it. You have that right. But, that does not mean that anyone's thread will be deleted as a result.

Think: Your idea that pacifism is the way offends me. We've tried that, and it resulted in DEAD Americans. But I'm not stopping you from saying your piece. Likewise, I will not stop anyone from saying their's.

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

Here's my opinion: It's not funny.

*SHOCKED*

I think of it (including the text) to be much like the posters used in World War Two. We'd see pictures of bombers over Germany. Didn't mean we were targeting civilians.

At any rate, you can't deny the fact that the world is at war against terrorism. Don't be afraid of this: this war was declared centuries ago. We've lost THOUSANDS of people to terrorism, not even including the attack on the WTC. Now, we're fighting back. I see nothing wrong with that.

I'm not nor have ever been a proponant of war as a first line solution. Lest you forget, though, we've tried sanctions. We've tried diplomacy. We've even tried limited strikes. We've tried the legal system.

We lost. 1000's of the WORLD's citizens, to be exact. These weren't people in uniform. These were fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters, going to work, just like most of us do. And our diplomacy, sanctions, and legal system failed them and their loved ones, miserably.

You all must understand that these people will NOT rest until all people who do NOT conform to their ideologies are DEAD. And, do not forget that their ideologies are a stark contrast to pacifism. They want GENOCIDE, racial cleansing. How are they better than Hitler?

They want the West out. Sorry, but that isn't going to happen. We have FRIENDS there. If a few robbers take hostages in a bank and demand millions of dollars, do we give it to them? Why should WE leave when it is a few that want us to, rather than most? Yes, there are tens of thousands who want us all, dead. Tough. We rely on them, and many of them rely on us, those hypocrites.

Yes, there will be casualties. Civilians. But, as opposed to the alternative of letting these people MURDER at will, that is what needs to be done. What will it take? A bioweapon? A chemical weapon? Some phosgene released into our air and water supply? A nuclear weapon? MILLIONS dead before we fight back, and then it may be too late?

Should we LET them aquire nuclear weapons and a possibility of deploying them in the hopes that they'll negotiate with us? Show me ONE precedent that shows that terrorists negotiate, engage in diplomacy. Just ONE.

If we would have attacked them and eliminated them, THOUSANDS of people may be alive today. THOUSANDS of children would have mommy and daddy coming through the door tonight.

So, now we know what they can do. And STILL we aren't supposed to do anything about it? Or, we're supposed to do the SAME THING, which got thousands killed?

We're not leaving the middle east. We have friends there, there are good people there, who would be oppressed without our influence. We are NOT imposing freedom on anyone. Freedom cannot be IMPOSED. Freedom is the default, people can only take it AWAY.

And what about the energy that we all use? The oil imports? Last I checked, many of you liberals were opposed to drilling in Alaska. What now? Do we leave and start doing that?

No.

We do what WE do as a FREE nation. We ACT, instead of react. We STOP the problem. People will be lost. But MANY more will be lost if we do not take action. This isn't about revenge. This is about SAVING INNOCENT LIVES. Yes, some will be lost as a result. Yes, MORE will be lost without the action.

What interests me the most is the fact that I don't see any viable alternative solutions being posted. Just bear in mind that you can't stipulate diplomacy. That has failed. You cannot suggest sanctions. That has also failed. You cannot put forth the rule of law. That has failed as well. Limited military strikes? Failed too.

If you are against the solutions being sought, then post alternative solutions. The only thing is, it has to be a solution that HAS NOT FAILED! It has to be a NEW idea that we haven't tried. Otherwise, you have NO precedence that it would work, but you have PROOF that it would fail.

Thank you and goodnight.

~Mike

A lot of people are going to find a lot of things offensive over the next few years. I hope that some of you found the destruction of four airliners, two office buildings, and all the occupants and rescuers offensive as well.

The youth of the world have been coddled in the last 25 years to believe that feelings and self esteem are more important than thinking and accomplishment. Reality is hitting like a slap in the face. The world is not always a happy, peaceful place, and wanting it to be so does not make it so. How many times will you let yourself be slapped in the face before you raise your hand to stop the next blow, as offensive as that action may be?

Look at the words of Thomas Paine, written in December of 1776. You may have heard of the phrase These are the times that try men's souls.... Here are some excerpts from that writing:

quote:

THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

I have as little superstition in me as any man living, but my secret opinion has ever been, and still is, that God Almighty will not give up a people to military destruction, or leave them unsupportedly to perish, who have so earnestly and so repeatedly sought to avoid the calamities of war, by every decent method which wisdom could invent. Neither have I so much of the infidel in me, as to suppose that He has relinquished the government of the world, and given us up to the care of devils; and as I do not, I cannot see on what grounds the king of Britain can look up to heaven for help against us: a common murderer, a highwayman, or a house-breaker, has as good a pretence as he.

'Tis surprising to see how rapidly a panic will sometimes run through a country. All nations and ages have been subject to them. Britain has trembled like an ague at the report of a French fleet of flat-bottomed boats; and in the fourteenth [fifteenth] century the whole English army, after ravaging the kingdom of France, was driven back like men petrified with fear; and this brave exploit was performed by a few broken forces collected and headed by a woman, Joan of Arc. Would that heaven might inspire some Jersey maid to spirit up her countrymen, and save her fair fellow sufferers from ravage and ravishment! Yet panics, in some cases, have their uses; they produce as much good as hurt. Their duration is always short; the mind soon grows through them, and acquires a firmer habit than before. But their peculiar advantage is, that they are the touchstones of sincerity and hypocrisy, and bring things and men to light, which might otherwise have lain forever undiscovered. In fact, they have the same effect on secret traitors, which an imaginary apparition would have upon a private murderer. They sift out the hidden thoughts of man, and hold them up in public to the world.

I once felt all that kind of anger, which a man ought to feel, against the mean principles that are held by the Tories: a noted one, who kept a tavern at Amboy, was standing at his door, with as pretty a child in his hand, about eight or nine years old, as I ever saw, and after speaking his mind as freely as he thought was prudent, finished with this unfatherly expression, "Well! give me peace in my day." Not a man lives on the continent but fully believes that a separation must some time or other finally take place, and a generous parent should have said, "If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace;" and this single reflection, well applied, is sufficient to awaken every man to duty.

There are cases which cannot be overdone by language, and this is one. There are persons, too, who see not the full extent of the evil which threatens them; they solace themselves with hopes that the enemy, if he succeed, will be merciful. It is the madness of folly, to expect mercy from those who have refused to do justice; and even mercy, where conquest is the object, is only a trick of war; the cunning of the fox is as murderous as the violence of the wolf, and we ought to guard equally against both.

By perseverance and fortitude we have the prospect of a glorious issue; by cowardice and submission, the sad choice of a variety of evils- a ravaged country- a depopulated city- habitations without safety, and slavery without hope- our homes turned into barracks and bawdy-houses for Hessians, and a future race to provide for, whose fathers we shall doubt of. Look on this picture and weep over it! and if there yet remains one thoughtless wretch who believes it not, let him suffer it unlamented.

COMMON SENSE.

December 23, 1776.

*Stands up and applauds Aramike*

Exactly, exactly, exactly. Its not like the US is going into military conflict happy and excited, but what else can we do?? Negotiations, diplomacy, sanctions, don't work against these people, we've tried it for twenty years, and its done nothing. I hate war just as much as any civilized person, but in some cases, there is NO other alternative. Its us or them, thats gotta be clear by now. These protests on college campuses for peaceful resolution and no war make me, frankly, afraid. One, it could divide our nation ala Vietnam, although this is an enemy who attacked our home and killed our civilians. Two, I'm afraid for the future of America if these people are left in charge. Violence is NEVER the first option, but sometimes it is the ONLY option. Some people will not be swayed by words or threats, and so one must use other means. Seems that Berkeley has to protest EVERYTHING that could unite the American people. I myself am a liberal, but on many issues, including this one, I can't understand the reasoning of these bleeding-hearts.

Common Sense was earlier. Paine must have ended his pamphlet with the phrase anyway. Common Sense was written in February of 1776 to argue that the time to declare independence was now, not 20 years ago and not 20 years hence. These are the times... was written in December of the same year to appeal to people to join Washington's army because the cause was just and the alternative was intolerable.

Here is one of many links to this pamphlet (I edited out the specific Revolutionary War references).

Here is a link to Common Sense, written in February of 1776.

If you like that one, then here is a link to The Rights Of Man, an even deeper paper by Paine.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Steve Schacher ]

[Also deleted -- no personal attacks]

CAT Team

Odd, it wasnt an attack in any way. But its your call *shrug*. Now I gotta find that bunny again..argh.

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

Well, technically maybe not, but muppets brandishing knives with the quote to another member to the effect that here's something for you, might be considered an attack. At the very least, it caused another member to post an inflammatory response.

Both were deleted in fairness to all.

Hehe agreed. Though the caption for that one was below the pic. I shouldve formatted the text to be obvious in that sense. *salute*

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]