Where do you see yourself in ten years time?

Guest Commander Hamblin

Guest Commander Hamblin

I was asked this recently by a friend of mine, and I honestly hadn't the foggiest idea. I hope I'll still be at British Airways, but with all the layoffs, I may end up losing my job.

In any case, I've been thinking more and more about it, and I still have no idea what my answer would be. So, I thought I'd ask you lot, where do you see yourself in ten years time?

Alternate future 1:

In a pub while Jessica Alba prepares my dinner for me when I get home.

Alternate future 2:

Probably be in a dead end job and hopes that one day I'd win the lottery or my boss gets layed-off due to company downsizing.

Alternate future 3:

Having a heart attack at the age of 34 as the world economy slides deeper into recession forcing the closure of all my enterprises.

Alternate future 4:

Live a simple and comfortable life with my wife and probably have another two kids on top of my present one.

Of all the possibilities above I guess the first one is the one that would be the most likely outcome.

Oh and don't worry about losing your job with BA. This thing should blow over soon enough and if you do think you are going to lose your job, you could always move to another airline or worst case scenario have a carrear in the RAF. The pay is not as good but at least you know that your future is secured.

I think that's the problem with 95% of people. they can't see what they will be doing in 10 years time and consequently never get there, if you see what I mean

Personally, I aim to be a senior lecturer in Biochemistry at a renowned university, don't care where. As long as my kids have a good education and I earn enough for my wife not to have to work (unless she really wants to), I will be satisfied.

Funny enough I had a lecture at school yesterday about a (possible) future occupation with KLM (royal dutch airline) in their maintenance/overhaul department. Since I'm less than one year off from graduation I was wondering the last few weeks in howfar September 11th had an effect on my future.

They showed how the (aircraft maintenance) market looked before and after September 11th. They compared the effects of events of the 11th with Tjernobyl and the Gulfwar. Both had a serious effect on the world economy and the airline business in particular. The world took one year to recover from Tjernobyl, and about 1.5 from the Gulf War. Most probably the 11th will have a lasting effect for over 2 years. (at least for airbusiness) Then it should go back into a growth in airline maintenance business. So I'm not so sure if I agree with Fendi. But it's not bad forever.

Something I was almost sure of before this lecture. Maintenance is not my calling. I'm more of a theoretical guy, and have more interest in space age than aircraft business. But aircraft are more readily available at your nearest airport. So that's probably where I'll be somehow. With how many mouths to feed? Will need to start from scratch first.

The reason for my semi joke post was because of the many failures in my life. I had a chance to be a civil engineer but I blew it on gambling (and the fact that '97 economy crash didn't help much either). Had a chance to be a pilot (both military and commercial) and I basically blew it as my mother and my wife thought that carreer path would get me nowhere. Hell I was even accepted but had to back down. Now that I'm almost 24 there is basically NOOO chance for me to be a professional pilot.

Look at me now. I'm basically a nobody who had to start his education from scratch while my contemperaries have their own succesful businesses and carreers... constantly rubbing it in my face.

"Look it's Fendi, the former child prodigy....how the mighty has fallen"

"What a failure, he brings shame to his over-achieving parents"

"With all the money given to hin by his parents he cant even get a single degree"

Those are the kind of quotes that I get behind my back everyday of my life. The sad thing is I actually agree with them. Thats why I am always cracking up jokes at basically everything....never serious for a single minute.

Well Paddy does that answer your question why I dare not predict what will happen to me in 10 years time? The way things are going now I don't even know if I would even be alive in 10 years time.

quote:

Fendi posted on 09-29-2001

The reason for my semi joke post was because of the many failures in my life. I had a chance to be a civil engineer but I blew it on gambling (and the fact that '97 economy crash didn't help much either). Had a chance to be a pilot (both military and commercial) and I basically blew it as my mother and my wife thought that carreer path would get me nowhere. Hell I was even accepted but had to back down. Now that I'm almost 24 there is basically NOOO chance for me to be a professional pilot.

Look at me now. I'm basically a nobody who had to start his education from scratch while my contemperaries have their own succesful businesses and carreers... constantly rubbing it in my face.

"What a failure, he brings shame to his over-achieving parents"

"With all the money given to hin by his parents he cant even get a single degree"

Those are the kind of quotes that I get behind my back everyday of my life. The sad thing is I actually agree with them. Thats why I am always cracking up jokes at basically everything....never serious for a single minute.

First off, why do you even care what others say about you, I know, I know, being a Malaysian which has a serious problem of cultural backstabbing and gossiping it is inevitable that someone who is someone who knows the your family will talk behind your family's backs, and the Malaysian pride is a very, very serious affair. So what? What you have done in the past is just the that, the past, there's nothing stopping you from reinventing yourself or your life!!!

BTW yes, I'm a graduate, and no the lamblasted piece of paper is not really important in fact its practically useless nowadays except for interviews which even then are changing their outlook. What they want now is experience, personality, desire and character not just A DEGREE.

I believe what you have done in past, whatever it might be, is a conscious decision made on your part, and I believe that once you have made a decision and done it, there's no point in regret. Put it aside and move on. We're human and we make mistakes.

Look a nobody started Micosoft, look where he is now (with the exception of the Federal Case against of Microsoft ) and there are many other RL examples which a very good one is the SC himself. He did it, was cheated, was tricked, was backstabbed, put it behind him and moved on and now what do we have BCM, GCO, EFC...that what!!!!

So stop putting yourself down and do something about it!!!!

EDIT: Damn typos

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

Cheers Jeff for the support but I am trying to rebuild my life (for the sake of my kid). I'm just about to start my Mechatronics course soon in Reading in a couple of weeks time. Basically this time it's a do or die situation and though as you say a degree is just a piece of paper, and the fact that many people have it already, it's kinda like a pride thing. It's not my pride that I fear bruising but my parents.

SC's story is very different compared to mine. Unlike me what happened to SC was not his fault but other people's follies. They just needed a scapegoat so they blamed SC for their mistakes. Besides most of the flames towards SC is baseless anyway by people who know squat. Mine was because of pure stupidity.

Anyway I still got this one last chance to prove to myself and others that I'm not a failure after all. And besides, receiving BCM 2 days after my 24th birthday will definately make me forget about my birthday blues.

No problemo,just appoint me as the shrink and chief morale officer but make sure that you're doing it for yourself not anyone else, as even parents have a tendency to expect more too much from their kids, I know 'coz I faced the same things from my parents.

In the SC's case it might not be his own fault but what I meant was that he made a decision, and stuck by it no matter what the happened. That's a good role model to follow!!!

EDIT Damn typos!!!!!!!!!

Slaps the keyboard again. Bad boy!!!

Something to do with working for other people instead of being an independant and flexible person. They want me to be something that I'm not.....like my father.

Oh well I guess I should count myself lucky that I've got what I've got. Whats done is done and there's just hardly any point in being negetive anymore so here is a joke:

How do you keep a bimbo occupied for hours?

Put her in a circular room and tell her to sit in the corner.

Oh Cur I got the joke..lol

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Fendi ]

10 years later on SC you'll probably be soooo rich that you'll donate each and every one of us an AMD Thundercats with 256 Teraquad XDR Memmory just because you like us.

Oh and ATI would still be having driver issues then.

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Fendi ]

quote:

Originally posted by Fendi:

Now that I'm almost 24 there is basically NOOO chance for me to be a professional pilot.

He Fendi, 23 is quite young. There are lots of oppertunities out there. There is so much to learn. Just browse the internet it's mindboggling.

Like Rico i was an aircraft technician. I also worked as a trainee at KLM. But like him i found that it is not my calling. I figured i was going to learn some more , but my mother was on welfare (luckily for her, she has found work now) so i couldn't expect any financial support there. So i figured how can we both benefit and i can also learn something new? Back then the IT business was short on people (still is though). Working there for 4-5 years.

Initially wanted to learn some more about

aviation but decided against it because when i was a trainee at KLM there were lay-offs there ,and around the same time the Netherlands lost Fokkker to DASA.

quote:

That's a compliment right? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. It's time to stand up

and move on

quote:

I know a bunch of people having a degree (or not) being successful at the expense of others. I don't consider that successful.

quote:

I believe what you have done in past, whatever it might be, is a conscious decision made on your part, and I believe that once you have made a decision and done it, there's no point in regret. Put it aside and move on. We're human and we make mistakes.

He's right, listen to the guru

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Mano Faber ]

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Mano Faber ]

Cheers Mano but I got over it honest. I am studying now, well in (OMG where have the time gone) 10 days. It still hurts sometimes when I could hear the snickers behind my back. Thats probably why I use jokes (unfunny ones at that) as a self defense mechanism.

Fendi,

I shall assail you with a few of my favorite quotes:

"With age comes knowledge. With knowledge comes wisdom."

You still have plenty of time to learn from your mistakes. Shucks, I've been around for 4.7 decades and I'm still learning.

"All things come to he who waiteth. But only if he worketh like hell while he waiteth."

Why Worry?

During life, a person only has two things to worry about:

Either you are sick

Or you are well.

If you are well, there is nothing to worry about.

If you are sick, there are only two things to worry about:

Either you will live.

Or you will die.

If you live, there is nothing to worry about.

If you die, there are only two things to worry about:

Either you will go to Heaven.

Or you will go to Hell.

If you go to Heaven, there is nothing to worry about.

If you go to Hell...

You will be so busy shaking hands with friends, you won't have time to worry.

In ten years time I see myself wondering if I will ever see retirement.

Thanks Wolferz I'm okay I got over it ages ago honest... but at the moment all I can think of is what will happen in 16 days time.

I soooo much agree with the hell part in your Haiku(?).

By the way shall we start another countdown for Battlecruiser 4000AD Gold date?

Fendi, I gotta jump on the band wagon...

You're twenty FOUR!!! Chill. You don't have to know what or who or where you'll be at 34.

I'M AT 34.

I know what I want to happen. Whether it does or not is not up to me.

a) Two kids. Boy and a girl.

B) Same wife. Better house.

c) Total job satisfaction.

That's what I want.

I keep telling myself Pierre Trudeau had no idea what he wanted to be until he was forty.

(He ended up being the greatest prime minister of the last century.) At least I'm starting to know what I want to do. I'm ahead of him already. That's not too shabby.

I'm still a puppy eh guys? If you think I'm bad you should hear what my wife has to say about turning 30 next year.

Oh well at least she's a lot happier now that her computer has been upgraded to an 800Mhz P3. The only bad thing is she's also got her eye on BCM so I guess that means we'll be arguing constantly on who gets to play it. Could be worse though she could've done the Op Flashpoint episode again.

OMG I forgot to buy my joystick!! I'm going senile...noooooooooo!!!

OK, I'm going to be honest. If my life turns out to be like Derek's (being a computer science major who makes calculator games in his spare time, that isn't too unlikely ) I'd be giving myself a round of applause. If making games doesn't work out, I'd probably be making a bundle of money, as there is great demand for someone of my talent. (or so I'm told) However, all that's assuming I can make it through English 101 .

EDIT: The possessed keyboard strikes again!

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]