Gaming/Hardware climax

SpotSD

quote:

Originally posted by SpotSD:

I doubt real world physics will be a big part of future gaming, just because it's totally unnecessary for an enjoyable experience.

I doubt think that's anymore true than saying "Photo realistic graphics are totally unnecessary for an enjoyable experience." The fact is, it's possible to make a game incredibly enjoyable without having extremely realistic graphics. It's also possible to make a game enjoyable without extremely realistic physics.. but both enhance a game greatly.

When a game has graphics so realistic you'd swear you were there it's possible to become more immersed in the game world. When a game has a physics engine so capable that the game world is nearly as interactive as the real world you become even more immersed.

And, with the hardware around today, it's probably less possible to create a completely realistic physics environment than it is to do photo realistic graphics.

First of all I have to say that I am in no way implying that photoralistic graphics are required to have an enjoyable gaming experence. I'm mearly stating that P.R. graphics are the way the industry is headed

quote:

I doubt think that's anymore true than saying "Photo realistic graphics are totally unnecessary for an enjoyable experience." The fact is, it's possible to make a game incredibly enjoyable without having extremely realistic graphics. It's also possible to make a game enjoyable without extremely realistic physics.. but both enhance a game greatly.

Sorry, but I just have to disagree. Photo realistic graphics are much more noticeable.

Sure it is important to have reasonably realistic physics, but going so far as

quote:

...to simulate actual physics- especially since we don't even have a complete theory yet...

Is way to excessive, and a waist of processing power.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: SpotSD ]

Little bump, just to get this conversation back.

They recently used a quantom computer to calculate that 3x5=15. Thats an enormous achievment, even though it seems like a very elementary thing.

Do you know how big that computer was?

5 atoms.

Quantom computers work differently from conventional computers, which are essentially just a vast array of on and off switches. In a quantom computer, as quantom mechanics begin to kick in, each switch is both a one and a zero at the same time. This may seem rather weird, but computing power is limited only by the size of the computer.

Lets say you have 3 atoms. With these, you can have the following combinations:

And those 3 atoms are those combinations at the same time. Now, if we make a 10 atom computer...

I couldn't possibly write out all of those combinations. It would take me years, probably. And yet, those atoms are all of those combinations at the same time.

Now, if we have a computer that is made up of a million atoms...the computing power is for all intents and purposes unlimited! Such a thing could solve ANY code at all instantly, and you no longer have to worry about even Windoze eating up your CPU power.

Currently, the problem with this is that we have no idea how to wire the thing. I'm pretty sure those 5 atoms were hooked up to a warehouse full of equipment to get it to work, and with far more complex arrays of atoms, it'll take some major work getting it to a commercial standard. Its sort of like in the first days of computers...you have a vaccume tube. Now how do you use it?

We have a simple quantom computer. The hard part is wiring it up, then writing the OS for the thing. Once thats done processing power will be utterly unlimited.

It takes the human brain about 10ghz of power just to process the images you see, and right now I'm using a 1.8ghz computer. As computer power doubles every 18 months, this could very quickly add up to some immense power. Power is not the issue...the problem is what to do with it.

I loved the old NES and SNES games, even though by today's standards, the graphics are far outdated by even solitare and tetris, and as the monstrosity called EQ proved, just because your game has pretty graphics doesn't mean it'll be a good game. Sure, it did have nice graphics, but if the thing wasn't more addictive than crack, heroin, and tobacco all rolled in one, EQ would be dead by now.

In order to build a holodeck, we'd first need an AI that worked, or at least an OS with a very detailed way of responding to a vast array of possibilties. Then work on the interface system, and I'm gonna get one and seal myself in there with a welding torch. '

I'm guessing some sort of universal graphics engine will be made and then from there, with a real AI helping, anybody could create anything. That would be awesome...I could finally create that use game universe I've been dieing to make! It would be something like a first person RPG where you've got several entire galaxies to work in. Everything from high tech sci-fi down to Tolkeinien fantasy, depending on the area.