Medieval: Total War

Guest Grayfox

Guest Grayfox

for those of you who loved Shogun: Total War, or just dig medieval combat check out the total war website here.

a small excerpt from what the game will offer:

quote:

GAME FEATURES

Epic scale 3D battles featuring over 10000 troops.

Hundreds of distinct battlefields from the lush farmlands of Western Europe to the arid deserts of Northern Africa.

Spectacular Castle Sieges. Pound castles into the dust with a vast array of siege weaponry, including: Siege Cannons, Mangonels and Ballistae.

12 playable factions and over 100 different unit types each with distinct playing styles including: the English, German, Byzantine, French and Turkish Empires.

Play as a famous Historical Hero - including Richard the Lionheart, Joan of Arc, Saladin and Frederick Barbarrosa, and engage in historical campaigns including, The Hundred Years War, The Crusades and The Mongol Invasions.

RPG-style character development - Kings, Generals and Heirs develop vices, virtues and abilities that reflect their actions throughout the campaign.

too damn sweet.

you can also snag a cool screenshot here... the castle in the background looks friggin awesome.

cant wait for this to be released

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped suporting that company. Those bozos dont give a damn about fixing stuff in their games. Sure, STW and WE was fun, but its got so many blatant AI cheats and bugs AND they completely stop supporting the thing the moment they start on the "next" game.

you didnt buy it when it came out did ya?

Took em almost a year to even release a patch for STW. WE had a patch released a month after several serious bugs were reported. And even then its mediocerly done.

Its a nifty idea for a game imo.. nice system and interface. But thats about it.

Guest Grayfox

no... i think i bought it a month or 2 after it was released. after i purchased, they had a patch out already. something to do with random CTD's or somethin like that. i mean i could install it and not patch it and it would still run fine. ive done that b4 with STW.

maybe its just different sys configs or something. kinda like BCM. some people have a ton of stuff wrong playing it, while others have little or no trouble.

but i will agree with you, SC and his elves are definitely on the ball with the fix releases. thats what i like the most... besides the witty repartee you get in the forums... and even ignoring the morons as well

• 5 months later...
Guest Grayfox

*bump*

ok got this one... all i can say is wow.

graphics wise its about the same, maybe a little better than STW, the european countryside is modeled beautifully... the sieges are just plain awesome... and the foot and cavalry engagements... wow.

besides the full campaign you can play, you can also do some historical campaign battles such as the english and french versions of the hundred years war, barbossa's fight to unite the holy roman empire (he was german wasnt he???)and richard the lionhearts third crusade... and saladins retaliation.

the historical battles area is a bit small... only 3 battles, but man o man.

again they did it right by putting the micromanagement into turn based format, and left the combat RTS. and theres a ton of new tactics you can try from setting up ambushes in forests, to setting waypoints and calling for reinforcements.

also each race has soldiers they were notorious for IE: the british have the famous longbowmen, the russians have boyars etc...

if you liked STW, then you will definitely enjoy this.

Great fun. I totally got a kick out of those 'virtues and vices' your generals get based on the things they do. For example, run from battle too much and you get 'good runner', which has various negitive modifiers. Win battles when you're down by more than 2 to 1 (because of quality over quantity) and his command will increase in that condition. Make him the Duke of a prospering province and he may become a good trader or builder (or he may overeat and become fat). A failed assassination attempt may also make him paranoid. Battle wounds may produce scars which reduce health, but increase dread.

The list goes on and on (there are several hundred in all), but suffice to say, each of your generals and vassals will have a unique identity just a few turns into the game. (this is because all your generals start with a 'clean slate' as it were, and develop these perks as the game progresses). Some of these vices can be kept secret, however an opposing spy can reveal them (for example, overtaxing a province to lavish himself in luxury), and force him to live with whatever negative effects my incur.

The battles are spectacular, which I've come to expect from this series.

[ 09-07-2002, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Urza ]

mmm battles are the meat and potatoes of this game.

if you had any really good battles post em here. ill start with one.

the battle of castile, spain. (normal difficulty)

the ahmouds(sp?) invaded spain from the south and pretty much eradicated the spanish. i (english)had my foot in spains front door by taking over 1 small northern province. the muslims wouldnt listen to my emissary so i built up a pretty big army, and launched a crusade against the muslims in castile...

the pope blessed it and sent me an additional 80 templar knights to play with, so all together my army totalled about 2500 men. i then moved into castile where the central seat of power for the muslims in spain was.

now these guys had a humongous army... and this battle will forever be known as the time when 2500 christians faced 5700 muslims... and won. yes won. the kalif charged with his front line of troops and one of my catapault units got lucky and hit his formation killing him... after that it was all downhill.

i held highground with english longbows, 2 catapault crews, and a mangonel crew. they never fully recovered after the death of the kalif and started attacking me piecemeal... and got tossed into a meatgrinder i had about 600 cav, and 400 foot, with another 500/500 in reserve. everytime they would muster and attack, i would use my cav and spearhead into them and break their spirit and then they would run... i would then move up my foot troops and re establish new lines... then theyd try again... then id release my foot troops into them and smash into their flanks with cav...

they eventually ran off the map, and i killed all my hostages so they know not to mess around with me there was bodies everywhere littering the battlefield, and i got a ton of valour points, dread points etc... it was a rush.

after that i took 2 more provinces from them in spain, then pushed west into portugal where the new kalif was and attacked there... there i was only outnumbered 2-1... it was about 2500 muslims against 1250 english... and i wiped em out again.

now i plan to take out the rest of spain, cross over into morocco, then sweep east thru africa pillaging as i go

definite rush

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

mmm battles are the meat and potatoes of this game.

if you had any really good battles post em here. ill start with one.

the battle of castile, spain. (normal difficulty)

[sNIP]

now i plan to take out the rest of spain, cross over into morocco, then sweep east thru africa pillaging as i go

definite rush

Thanks ... that's good enough for me to want to buy it

[ 09-11-2002, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

STW holds the title for the one game I have spent the greatest amount of time playing. I must have put in hundreds and hundreds of hours crusading all across the Japanese mainland, and now with this European installment, so long social life!

STW is my favorite game of all time, in terms of replayability, and I imagine the greater scope of this new version will only go towards making the new version even better then the last.

i got STW as well... in fact im playing both games... and i find it hard to quit too... i just get on a roll and dont want to stop... next thing i know 4 hours have gone by...

quote:

Originally posted by Lotharr:

This game rocks! After you learn the AI it is easy to win. I look forward to playing against people.....

You cannot play against humans in the strategic mode.

hehe. have any princes or generals that have their dread meter pegged out??? sometimes keeping prisoners isnt such a bad idea... i cought about 700 and ransomed them off and got a bundle for em.

i had one prince... it was actually the black prince of wales... his dread meter was like 7 or 8... but his command meter was just as high as well as his acumen level... very smart tough heartless cookie... who, after his father died, inherited the throne ..

i swear enemies would just see his unit standard flying in the breeze and they would turn and flee

• 1 month later...

I got the game today (whoohoo), but it won't start! When I launch the game, the monitor light goes off

And the activision support site doesn't help, at all. I have the most recent drivers, and I tried going in 800x600x16/32, no help ..

next step, emailing them.... since the forums don't work.

[ 10-25-2002, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

• 3 months later...
Guest Grayfox

*Bump*

those crazy kids over at total war have gone and done it again... this time its "Rome: Total War"

you can check it out here .

this one looks just as sweet as MTW. youve got the gauls, the greeks, everyone...from hannibal and his war elephants to sparticus. didnt say wether or not it has Scipio Africanus or not, but i definitely cant wait for this one.