To Declare, or Not to Declare...Tis the question

goaliejerry

Considering that an impending conflict with Iraq is unavoidable considering the ideaology that drives American rightousness, shall we or shall we not, as Americans, when the moment comes, actually declare a war on Iraq? Keep in mind that in essense an invasion of Iraq is an invasion with a total victory objective; wouldn't it be prudent for our congress to declare, for the world and ourselves, that a state of war will exist between our two counties? America has not declared an actual war since WWII. (correct me if I am wrong) Yet here, in this current instance with Iraq, it almost seems appropriate, as the purpose of our endeavour would be the elimination of a hostile, potentially dangerous and idealogically opposed state. How does this instance differ from the elimination of the axis powers in WWII such that the simple moral clarity of old that laid clear the need to eliminate evil in the world cannot be utilized here? What would be the pros/cons to an actual declaration, and ultimately which do you think would be the better course of action?

[ 02-02-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: GoalieJerry ]

If we are going to do it, might as well go whole hog. Which should have been done by Jeb's daddy back in 91. But he was skeered of what the rest of the Arab states would think. If it were me, I wouldn't have given a Rats' arse what they thought. I would have told Schwarzkopf to finish them off, just for lobbing the SCUDs. into Saudi Arabia and Israel. to me that act alone was a clear indication that Saddam is insane.

No UN wrist slapping is going to change that either. His regime needs to be dismantled completely. And as soon as we finish that, we send North Korea some pictures of it, with the following caption.. .."Want some too?"

Exactly, I mean it's actually quite amazing that the goal, and probable outcome of this looming war, is the complete dimantling and reassembly of an ENTIRE STATE. (REF: Afganistan) The power that the United States is capable of is astounding, and the fact that I can't refute that the people we depose are completely immoral, well I think it's just unprecedented in history, and maybe it's not a bad thing.

I mean, 15 billion dollars for Africa AIDS relief, I must admit, I was taken aback. And here, America, unmatched in economic power AND stability, despite economic downturn, which affects the whole world, we are still COMPLETELY capable of prosecuting two wars at once; North Korea doesn't dare.

All they want is power and food. Here's the thing; as I see it, America has an unprecendented amount of wealth. And while I can see where sqaubiling over tax code and domestic policy only goes towards shaping the ideal policy, fact remains, after whatever internal revenue debates finalize, our country controls a huge amount of worth. Plain and simple.

And yes, as our president pointed out, 1/3 of adults in some South African countries have AIDS, I mean think, you go to a bar, looking to meet someone, you have to consider that 1/3 of all girls you meet could have AIDS. If that isn't wrong and terrible I don't know what is, and our government, supposing congress bites on his aid package, might actually be able to stem the tide. And while we quible about income tax and other forms of governmental revenue, we deny that despite high taxes, despite the fact that we enjoy, as a county, according to numbers, a higher standard of living as compared to most other counties on earth or in recorded history, that we might, through our own power, change the world for the better...well just think of the power our country weilds.

I mean certainly paying taxes and giving money to anyone but me is counterintuitive to my own self preservation, but the fact remains that my concern over a dollar might buy someone food for a day. I can't live off of $1 a day. Let me tell you. I would die, if thrown into the streets, with no means of income, depraved and without hope, and I live, in my apartment, viewing the world through a window, and only judging what happens in the world through the American based and English speaking sources I referance. We hear stories and we sympathize but we can't truly empathize until we've been there. And I hope I never go there, and I hope that through my and my country's efforts and capabilitys we work against anyone going there. And concern over dollars and whats mine is mine is trivial when compared to the value of another human beings life.

We can't declare war, they haven't done anything to us....and at this point, it might not pass. That is the huge difference here. We declare war in self defense....well once upon a time. Perhaps, in the near future, when running for high office requires such massive capital to campaign properly (through corporate media) we will have a corporate consensus we can be proud of. And from this capital consensus our three branches of government can work in harmony to make those hard calls about life and worth that we are unqualified for. Remember, war is peace and freedom is having nothing to hide

well said Todd. on the other side of the coin though. if our country keeps propping up the third world by just giving them food, they will come to expect it like all the folks in this country who sign up for welfare.

I say to hades with that course of action.

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day"

"Teach the man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

We have the technology and the resources to aid those folks in reclaiming their lands to facilitate growing their own food. then if some petty bunch of thugs wants to come in and take that away from them, then they get to say hello to our AC-130'S say goodbye thugs I would get a laugh from watching the gun cams listening to some Alabama redneck screaming DANG! everytime he pops a bunch with that 40 mm howitzer.