Enter the Matrix

Guest $iLk

Guest $iLk

Why do people hype crap so much? The creators of this game hyped it like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and released it with plenty of graphical glitches and retarded AI to boot. Half the human characters textures keep fazing around, in some video cut scenes the music just shorts out and you get to watch a silent film, and in one particularly memorable instance, the car chase in one of the later missions, you couldn't let the car get ahead of you, but you couldn't "catch" it until you'd chased it far enough.

Well imagine my surprise when the spectacular AI of the machines embodied into the super powerhouse of an Agent who was driving this car, used his superior skills and amazing abilities...

To ram his car repeatedly into a wall. The first time I quit and restarted the mission, but that didn't thwart that wily agent! No sir, he found another wall and proceeded to ram repeatedly into it.

Luckily, using a lesson I may or may not have garnered from a physics class, I rammed his back end into an incline, forcing his car on top of mine. I then backed up and let his car drop into where it was supposed to go. He gave me a thumbs up and the chase continued... with his super driving skills flipping him over and over, while I more often than not... out ran him to the end... so much so that the computer said I was losing him because he was so far behind me. Eventually he got to where he needed to go, and the cut scene played to end the mission.

But he ALMOST got away... yeah.

If you want to think of gameplay... think of some other game. This is like a cheap ripoff of Max Payne (which is ironic because Max Payne ripped off the Matrix movie... go figure), the controls are similar, but all the moves are straight from the movie... and not very abundant.

"bullet time" in this game is easier to use than in Max Payne, but the only point to it is so you can actually hit something with your guns.

Did I forget to mention? You can't aim your guns in third person mode. In order to hit someone, you have to spray half a clip in their general direction and pray that a bullet enters their skull causing instantaneous death. Failing that, you can use some of the (12) different karate moves to pimp slap them and get those bi$ches to check yo money. The game throws the guns in as an afterthought... believe me. You can't aim them at all except in first person, and by the time you zoom to FP you are usually dead.

Guest $iLk

It does come on six discs... the well done thing about this game is the movie cut scenes that fill in gaps from the film. Everything else about the game sucks. No seriously... EVERYTHING.

Just finished the game (PC) with Ghost, so here's my professional opinion: %@#%!@!E!!!!

It's sloppy, amateur, unfun, buggy as hell, hard to control, and ugly. In all 10-15 hours of gameplay (Playing through with the other character is identical except for the fact there are some slightly different FMV sequences) I can think of maybe two instances where I actually thought 'Hmm, this is kinda fun:' A test of ability against Trinity, and a fight to the death against the Head Vampiric Chippendale Dancer at the chateu. The rest of the time I was playing only to unlock another story-related FMV sequence that SHOULD have been in the movie. Remember the feeling you got when you watched reloaded... that 'did I just miss something' feeling? Well, all the vital bits of info that should have been in the movie are instead tied awkwardly and haphazardly into the game... that is, between long stretches of lame monotonous gameplay, system-wide crashes, and audio-cutouts that force you to restart.

The movie isn't self-contained because they took a Pokemon mentality toward marketing this stuff... gotta catch em all. Why give everyone one, self-contained, product when they can split it into three or more individual products (Animatrix, Enter the Matrix, Matrix Reloaded) all priced at the most that their market will bear? That is, as opposed to intertwining three seperate products.

Also, playing as Ghost gets you shotgun on the car-chase sequences. You hang out the window with a gun while an NPC Nirobe drives into walls. Fortunately for you, the cops are even worse and likely won't get near enough for you to have to waste a single bullet (They're too busy driving off bridges and ramming into walls to deal with you). When you get to such sequences, go make a nice sandwich - maybe pimento loaf - and come back. Nirobe will either have gotten you killed by crashing so much - or the level will have successfully ended. In either case, there's not much you can do to effect the outcome. Of course while your off making that sandwich, there's also a chance the game may crash your whole system, in which case you should enjoy said sandwich while rebooting your computer.

And guns aren't fun. It's obvious the game was made for hand-to-hand - which is probably why they put so many bad guys with super-lethal weaponry in the game. Maybe it was too much fun? YOU either need to empty your whole clip just to hit someone (And it dosn't usually kill them right-off, unlike their weaponry) or use focus. But focus drains so quickly that you'll spend at least half your playtime waiting patiently behind a barrel for the health/focus meters to recharge. Like Richard Garriot's Ultima series, Matrix encourages virtues too... because without Patience your game will probably be in the microwave before you even finish the lousy sewer missions.

In truth, Enter the Matrix is a very mediocre game... but that's only judging it as a game in it's own right... a priviledge it cannot enjoy because it is The Matrix. The fact that it is largely unfun, buggy as hell, hard to control, ugly, and steals VITAL scenes from the movie (Scenes that should never have been left out of the film) make this an unforgiveable mess.

Aside from the OBVIOUS quality assurance issues (AI, stability, etc), making Focus an infinate commodity would have added ENORMOUSLY to the fun factor of the game. There's also a significant ammount of mouse-drift in first-person that makes certain mandatory sniping missions an uneccesary frustration (Moving the mouse a fraction will cause the cursor to teleport an inch - or when you stop the mouse the cursor will keep moving for a moment).

Final score: 4/10

Interesting, a friend of mine just got the game for Xbox and he hasn't reported any of the problems you are facing. I wonder if this is only PC related?

this game is fun, the guns are fun, and the vampires were awesome

the graphics are ok but i hate the car chases

Niobe must be either really bad at driving or been smokin too much something because her driving is a greater danger than the guys shooting at you.

The fights are awesome tho, and it looks gr8

8/10

another thing i hate, all the agents love to lift me up over their heads and throw me, they do this al the time, they do this laying down, they do this from around corners. there is no way to stop it and all you can do is run and die

then in the hover craft thing there is no way to not go down to 37% health after 4 minutes

Might as well add my spin on it...

I have the X-box version...

While it doesn't share the glaring bugs that the PC version apparently has, the gameplay is only fun for about the first 2 hours...but making 4 of the last 5 stages a constant blind run through a scripted path where you consistently take wrong turns that lead to dead-ends while being shot at by Agent Smiths (yes, all of them) is a bad move. Not to mention that the hovercraft stage is a joke when playing as Ghost. The guns don't hit where you aim...which brings me to the guns in the rest of the game, NO ACCURACY! Not only that, hit detection sucks, which becomes a real problem when you're trying to dodge the thousands of bullets flying your way from all the SWAT crackshots that rarely miss. Too many levels in this game were token "they did it in the movie, now let's have it happen in a different place in the game" The chateau levels were completely inane and really DON'T fit in with the movie properly. The controls are very clumsy and the moves are arbitrary. Pressing the same button sequence at the same interval three different times yields three different results. Now while this does remove some monotany from the gameplay it makes it hard as hell to figure out what your character is going to do next.

Now to nitpick...the Agent's bullet dodging is nowhere near as cool as the movie and someone please explain to me how Smith can dodge the shrapnel and heat from a grenade...I'd really like to know.

Also, for those that don't know...the hacking system in the game unlocks bonus levels (which suck) and cheats (which actually make the game more fun)

As for AI...enemies that see but can't figure out how to shoot...enemies with guns that feel the need to bumrush you when you're shooting at them, I won't even touch the driving AI...

Last gripe...boss fights...WHY DO GAMES INSIST ON MAKING BOSS FIGHTS AGAINST UNREALISTIC THINGS!?! Honestly, why would you have a boss fight against a helicopter?? Especially a wash, rinse, repeat fight!! What's wrong with making you feel like you're in a real world rather than a game!?!?

Overall 7/10, It's a great rental and a lot of fun to see the missing story aspects and the early levels of the game have great replay value. Don't buy it unless you're a serious fan or have $60 to toss away(in which case you could just send it to me )

i dont think videos count, only playing time

The agent Smith level is really ****ed up. He does that stupid pick up over head toss that gets u down, then him and his 40 other selves rip you apart while you lie motionless. And he does it every chance he gets, which is a whole lot.

The driving is a joke as ghost. i just shoot the cars around me, minivans, little family cars, because the guys shooting at you are not that dangerous, and shooting at them does nothing.

the only dangerous thing is niobes driving, and if being in a car with her driving wont kill you the 30000 agent smiths will.

It is a REALLY bad game...

i love sitting there in the middile of some kung-fu move i accidentally did in bullet time while bullets are piercing through my skin every second

rent it, play it, play it some more, beat it, return it, get something else with the $45 you saved ($5 for rental )

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Grayfox

short as hell too... i rented it today, and blew right through it in about 5 hours... that included re-doing the vampire level a few times cause that was the coolest part of the whole game.

the boss fight music was pretty sweet too. nothing like puttin a boot shine on a guy with some techno blarin in the background.

over all it seemed like i was watching what the editor cut out of the original flick... i wouldnt be surprised that when the matrix: reloaded comes out on DVD, they use the scenes from the game for the deleted scenes section... thats what it felt like to me.

7/10 for music, vampires, the slo-mo legsweep heart punch, and for niobe and persephone laying the tongue to eachother