New Video Card

Soback

Alright, so a couple of weeks ago I bought a new video card. GeForce 6200, BGF or PNY, one of them. But it doesn't matter. It was an impulse buy and later on as I read about the card I realized I should've just done more research and bought a 6600.

So, a couple of weeks later (I've been busy and couldn't exchange the card), I am looking to buy a new one. Now my motherboard is Asus P4T, it supports P4 up to 2Ghz, which I will be fixing by getting an addapter from socket 423 to 478 from www.powerleap.com that will bring it up to P4 2.8 Ghz. Also, the motherboard supports AGP 4x, but I've read around and it seems like even if you get an 8x video card, it will still run in a 4x slot.

Here's my choices. I like Asus, my motherboard is Asus, and I am set on GeForce. Brand and manufacturer loaylty if nothing else. I like Asus manufacturing quality and GeForce brand.

Choice 1: http://stores.tomshardware.com/search_tech...asterid=6717936

Asus 6600/TD, 256 mb, Core clock speed 300, effective memory speed 500, 4x AGP

OR

Choice 2: http://shop.upgradesource.com/product_info...oducts_id=99212

Asus 6600GT/TD, Core clock speed 500, Ramdac speed 400, Memory core speed 900, BUT it only has 128 mb, and also is an 8x AGP

So, now obviously the 128 mb card will run a little faster, but also not to it's full potential so those clock speeds will be reduced due to my 4x AGP. The 256 mb will run a little slower, but it's a 4x which will run to it's full potential in my motherboard and also has 256 as opposed to 128 mb.

Lets put it to a vote shall we. What do you guys think?

I think you're just wasting cash at this point. The 6600 is going out of style quick, and is just barely hanging on as it is. 6 months from now it'll be useless. Besides, the 4x is acting as quite a serious bottleneck on your videocard, so I'm not sure if you'll see much, or any, improvement. My advice is to just save your cash and go for a full upgrade. I just built my new comp (pretty beastly) for $800.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

1: Also, the motherboard supports AGP 4x, but I've read around and it seems like even if you get an 8x video card, it will still run in a 4x slot.

Lets put it to a vote shall we. What do you guys think?

1: You are correct. There's usually a manufacturer speed detail on an AGP card speed. My ATI9600xt is marked at 4x/8x. Usually, they are even compatible with the 1x-2x also. My current mother board is also only 4x max so I'm loosing out on all that extra bus speed the 8x offers. But I also have my upgrades on there way.

Other than that, I'm going to still be using the ATI card for now and haven't looked into other video cards right now so I can't really make any suggestions on other video cards right now. I'm still tired from researching all the parts I'm getting.