A Moment of Pause

aramike

So where were you? Many of us were right here.

I bring this up thinking that, with the movies and the fifth anniversary approaching, maybe we should reflect upon what once was. And although that thread perhaps devolved into something less than was intended, it showed a very raw side of the emotions experienced that day.

I found it quite interesting that, no matter who we were, the color of our skin, our religion, sex, race, age, etc., many of us were right here on that day.

What's my point? I don't know ... maybe it's an odd way of explaining why once I returned to the States and hopped online, this community was my first stop.

I was in my dorm room at college trying to call my boss who lived in manhatten for a quick meeting on a project and couldn't get through.

I found out a few min later what happened on a news website. After that I was at work and prayer session for the rest of the day and watching what happened on TV.

I was on honeymoon (got married on the 8th) we had rented a cottage in a very rural village, so we drove out to a high point to see if we could get a weather forecast, then by some freak weather conditions were able to pick up radio Prague (about 2 to three times further out from Prague than we ever had before), which was run by the BBC, and heard what had happened (just after the second plane hit). My first thought was that it was obviously a highly organised attack and maybe signalled the end of American civilisation. (I'm glad I was wrong on that one )

We then headed back to the cottage and spent virtually the rest of our honeymoon huddled together under a blanket watching events unfold on TV. We ended up coming back two days early so we could be with my wife's family, since we didn't know what was going to happen. After spending a few hours together with her family comforting each other and discussing what was going on, since it looked like world war 3 was upon us, we went back home and found our house had been burgled.

Not the ideal start to a marriage, but 4 and a half years and three kids later, we're still going strong.

I was watching TV when it all went down, pregnant and on bedrest with my daughter. I thought I was soo emotional due to hormones but to this day I still cry almost everytime I think about it.