RE the sun & stars; 1st person marines

Guest Nikolai

Guest Nikolai

I'd like to be able to blast those roving

asteroids I see to bits. I tried in in v.2.01 on the way to Uranus, but I didn't make a dent in them.

If I'm orbiting (please include orbiting whether it impacts gameplay or not it certainly contributes to the illusion

we are all here to enjoy) a planet close

to the sun then the sun should be very large

but if I'm at pluto, then the sun should

be very small. I haven't noticed this effect.

Granted the sun (stars too) is so huge you can't build it as a 3d object as with the

planets. Maybe a huge but not realistically huge sun (this goes for the stars too when one is in their system)could be built and this could help the illusion. It would be placed much closer to the planets than it should be to help it seem larger than it really is and of course if we fly too close we burn up anyway, so we'll never find out it's not as big as it ought to be or that it's closer than it should be.

In short, whatever is the easiest way to create the illusion that the sun is larger when you're at planet x and smaller when you're at planet y, I'd love to see implemented.

RE PLANET SIDE STRATEGY: I'd like very much to be able to jump into and control any marine from a first person view, take him into an enemy base and start blasting away.

I'd like to be able to mine material (or deploy purchased material brought down in shuttles) to build a base from which I could launch attacks on enemies on any planet. It would be nice to be able to take in a dozen marines and a few tanks, aided by my interceptors and decimate an enemy, then pack up the picnick and fly back to the battle cruiser.

Guest Nikolai

One more minor cosmetic point. This is REAL picky so don't read it until you're in the mood.

The sun (the sun for whatever system you happen to be in) is not bright enough (this is not a size issue). That is, it has the color of a sun, but not the light intensity. I know this sounds really petty, but if you saw SU-27 Flanker v.1 and then the later patched version, you would see what a dramatic difference it makes in terms of realistic appearance. The original SU-27 had a sun that looked as if it had been drawn with an orange crayon. The patched version kicked up the light intensity and this greatly improved the sense that this orange ball really was the sun.

[This message has been edited by Nikolai (edited 01-14-99).]