Matrox G400 bump mapped shots!

Supreme Cmdr

Hoooo! Man! Those pictures rocks. I did fall from my chair and I still feel dizzy from knocking my head on the wall. Please call 911 for me smile.gif"><P>IWith planets, star bases & ships bump mapped like that, Matrox will sell lots of G400 smile.gif"><P>I

------------------

Commander M. Pelletier

GCV - Deathwing

ICQ# 7630611

E-Mail: [email protected]

...and I thought I was all cool with my DDR Geforce and all...

Would it be too much to ask for benchmarks off the G400 once the game reaches it's final build??

So ermm gee.. I suppose I could always build up another system onto my network at home...

"...and what's that box over there for?"

"Oh.. uh that's my bc3k system."

"Huh?"

"Ah well...*ahem* you see it's a comlpex dynamic AI process running under a neural net architecture tracking multiple states in real time."

"It looks like a game."

"Yeah it's that too."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! *thump*

Joy of joys! My friend's computer has a G400 single head!

Wowowowowowowowowow I had no idea what a difference bump mapping could make. Awesome is far too mild a word. smile.gif

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky

GCV Svoboda ISS07

Adjutant to the Fleet Commander

In System Support (ISS) Fleet

http://www.watson-jones.swinternet.co.uk/Svoboda

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Ahemma, ooga, behaga...ahhh...blethey blah albadabba!!!!!!!!!

......WOW!!!! Can't wait to see what the Strike Pack looks like bump mapped!! Freakin awesome SC!!

Um, doesn't the GeForce have environmental bump mapping? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it did. If not, then Matrox has just won me over!

Oh yeah, and what is that ship in the pics that has the three nacelles? I can't seem to find it on the ship page...

------------------

Cmdr. Ross "Rippen" Banta

GCV Olympus Belle

Corsair Wing

-=Wraith Fleet=-

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

[This message has been edited by Rippen (edited 01-27-2000).]

Guest aramike01

Ummm... What's "bump-mapping"?

As an aside, those shots look great! Keep up the good work, SC!!! smile.gif

------------------

Commander Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

The Strike Pak uses a different engine and I don't plan on putting bump mapping in it. I will in the BC:3020AD version of it, however.

The oceans won't look realistic because you really can't control that sort of thing. Recite this after me: Its only a game. smile.gif

That ship with the 3 nacelles is a Violon carrier. Is it not on the screen shots page?

Hmmm. THe pics look ok, but for some reason the bumpmapping looks a little odd. can't put my finger on it. hmmm.

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

ICV-Eclipse

"Learning is not compulsory... neither is survival."

In response to question:

The Geforce supports cube environment bump mapping, but does not support DirectX Bump mapping, which is what games support.

Currently, only the Matrox G400 series cards support environmental bump mapping. This probably means that for the foreseable future the Matrox G400 Max is the best card to own if you want the best visual quality in BC Millenium (though I think the framerate on the GeForce might be faster).

On the BC:M page it mentions that the game will support the GeForce's transform (I believe that's applying a texture to a polygon that's changing shape) and lighting which would definitly give the GeForce high frame rates. However I remember reading from the SC on the forum that he will not have T&L in BC:M.

As an example I can play the Soldier of Fortune demo, which has T&L support, at 1280x1024 32 bit color with no noticeable slow down.

However I'm still thinking that bump mapping is the way to go. Dual monitor support apparently as well... I can have some fun with that...

Guest DigiTizeD

I don't think the bumped screenshots look any good.. The problem is that the ships shine in every possible angle and that you can see bumps on the planet from outer space.. It doesn't look real.

I think many people want games to look "spaced", not real.

Too much crack makes you short-sighted it seems. I guess the term, preliminary, are lost on him. Apart from that, he must be reading impaired to miss the posts about the bump mapping.

Admin/Mod, if this gets out hand when am not around, please do the complimentary honors (the highest level). Thank you.

No Worries SC. "Uncle Rattler's" already prioritized this thread for future referee duty. smile.gif

Remember Guys and Gals, Uncle Rattler's getting on in years now, so he won't take prisoners. Keep it clean. Keep it honest. Keep it on subject. Keep it Friendly!!! OK?

"Nuff Said!"

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

"Old Age and Treachery will ALWAYS win out over Youth and Exuberance!"