BCG Sneak Peak (was BCM XP1)

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Here is an EMBM (supported on Matrox G400, ATI Radeon and GF2/3/4)

As i know the EMBM feature is not implemented in the geforce 2 cards,only in geforce 3 and 4 cards, or am i mistaken ?

In this case, will you implement this to work in software mode ?

Just a thought...

Cheers.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Epsilon 5:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You said the station what the biggest yet.. but GHQ measures at 12424.27M (H) x 27882.35M (W) x 27880.98M (L)... did you missed a zero somewhere?

It hadn't been upscaled. So no, there is no zero missing. Just multiply the numbers by x4

quote:

Good move

Well, its only a renderer + tools, nothing else. So, its a no brainer. It is cheaper and faster to use a third-party renderer, than for me to spend time upgrading the 2.5yr old BCM rendering kernel.

The BCM terrain engine will also use this same renderer (look for amazing water fx), as will the XP2 terrain engine upgrade (PTE3) which Darrin is working on. This third party engine also has a terrain engine, but it is vastly inferior to Darrin's; so we're not using it. When I designed PTE2, it was to do everything that PTE (used in previous BC titles) did (ground zero, low alt flight, high alt flight etc) and Darrin did just that - AND - we have sub-terranean areas as well. Most of the work for XP1 is for me to integrate it into BCM (thats not Darrin's job, he just wrote the SDK) and to ensure that the new renderer works. I'm excited about it because I just love taking stuff apart.

This new renderer will complement the BCM engines quite well, which is why I made the decision to use it.

quote:

Awww....

Well, I'm not. You think its easy to develop an F15 flight model? Let alone an AH64?? Companies spend YEARS writing just a single flight model, let alone several. Sure, the flight dynamics will be Newtonian physics based and flying an F15 will feel like it somewhat, but don't expect anything overboard or even remotely accurate.

quote:

Will there be some way in XP2 to bring a battlecruiser in atmoshphere and start beating up F22's and B-52H bombers?

There won't be ANY sci-fi units in XP2. Haven't you been paying attention?

quote:

Huh? a F14 can launch from an airport last of my knowledge

In XP2 I am currently restricting them to carrier launches only.

quote:

Originally posted by netshaman:

quote:

Here is an EMBM (supported on Matrox G400, ATI Radeon and GF2/3/4)

As i know the EMBM feature is not implemented in the geforce 2 cards,only in geforce 3 and 4 cards, or am i mistaken ?

In this case, will you implement this to work in software mode ?

Just a thought...

Cheers.

GF2 supports DOT3 bump mapping, last time I checked. In my excerpt above, I was talking about bump mapping in general, not just one method. I stated it incorrectly and have edited my post accordingly.

No, there won't be any software emulation of any hardware feature. If your card doesn't support a certain feature (e.g. hardware shadows), then the feature will auto-disable. You can also disable it in CONFIG of course.

[ 02-10-2002, 08:49: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

The feature list is superb SC, just when we think this is as good as things can get - it gets better!! The best read I have had for a long time. Dynamic auto gen of missions too! I really love that, what would we do without ya.

[ 02-10-2002, 10:32: Message edited by: Brandon ]

quote:

Well, I'm not. You think its easy to develop an F15 flight model? Let alone an AH64?? Companies spend YEARS writing just a single flight model, let alone several. Sure, the flight dynamics will be Newtonian physics based and flying an F15 will feel like it somewhat, but don't expect anything overboard or even remotely accurate.

I'm not "awww'ing" for the flight models, I'm "awww'ing" for not being able to press the buttons on the conckpit

quote:

There won't be ANY sci-fi units in XP2. Haven't you been paying attention?

Well I thought since xp2 is an exapnsion, it would be plugged onto BCM/bcxp1, so we could attempt to merge it for fun...

quote:

|In XP2 I am currently restricting them to carrier launches only.

I see.

quote:

Well I thought since xp2 is an exapnsion, it would be plugged onto BCM/bcxp1, so we could attempt to merge it for fun...

Unlike XP1 which has upgraded sci-fi units, XP2 has its own modern warfare units and are used in the single campaign that it ships with. It will also support roam mode as well.

The difference being that when you start the campaign designed for XP2, like IA, TA etc, it will use its own environment and units.

[ 02-10-2002, 14:14: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Unlike XP1 which has upgraded sci-fi units, XP2 has its own modern warfare units and are used in the single campaign that it ships with. It will also support roam mode as well.

The difference being that when you start the campaign designed for XP2, like IA, TA etc, it will use its own environment and units.

Too bad then... would have been cool to try the "invaders from space thing

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

oh i noticed sub-terrain being mentiond when you were talking about the ground engine, now i have to ask will their be huge caves etc underground tunnels citys?

If you haven't noticed subterranean areas in BCM, go play it some more.

And if you don't see something mentioned in the XP1 features list, don't ask me about it - it means its not in it.

quote:

quote:

Too bad then... would have been cool to try the "invaders from space thing

It would be cool if we could constuct a script where you are hurled 1000 years back in time, due to an engine malfunction. You mission would be to make it back to the present. (3010)

Wow, SC, that warmonger really looks life-like. Good job to all.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Miller:

It would be cool if we could constuct a script where you are hurled 1000 years back in time, due to an engine malfunction. You mission would be to make it back to the present. (3010)

If you have GBS, there is nothing preventing you from doing just that. In fact, I might do one myself (post-release) kinda like an Independence Day kinda thing. heh, not sure if I want to take a flight of F18s up against a Stormcarrier though.

Ditto on the subterranean hint!

You know, I never thought bump-mapping really did anything to a model. But that Warmonger looks plain awesome! I gotta try to get a screenie of the existing model next to that image to compare. Bump-mapping seems like it affected the visuals more that I would have expected.

I suppose I'll have to see if I can dig up a good explanation of how bump-mapping works on MSDN or some place like NeHe's... I'm kind of curious as to the actual mechanics of how it works now.

I think he might be refering to the New America Base, guys . I could be wrong though as that is the only thing I can think of thats under the ground. Well, under the surface of the asteroid anyway.

Please correct me if there is something else as I would be intrested in knowing about it myself

[ 02-11-2002, 16:56: Message edited by: Roberto ]

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

I think he might be refering to the New America Base, guys . I could be wrong though as that is the only thing I can think of thats under the ground. Well, under the surface of the asteroid anyway.

Please correct me if there is something else as I would be intrested in knowing about it myself

heh, find planet, any planet with water. Park your craft above what seems to be a deep area (you can tell by the color of the water), then dive in and go for a swim. You'll discover lots of subterranean areas. In some cases, the water flows under land so you can dive under an island, swim through crevices underneath and emerge on the other side. Earth is a good planet that has lots of such areas. You just have to know where to look.

I will probably add a few under water cities in XP1 (even though they are only planned for BCO) if I find time (since am the only one who can do it).

quote:

quote:

If you have GBS, there is nothing preventing you from doing just that. In fact, I might do one myself (post-release) kinda like an Independence Day kinda thing. heh, not sure if I want to take a flight of F18s up against a Stormcarrier though.

hehehe, SC, I knew you could have had something possibly cooking.

quote:

quote:

hehehe, SC, I knew you could have had something possibly cooking.

Sweet! Definitely time for me to learn GBS. (And upgrade my computer.)

SC comes through and delivers yet another unexpected surprise!

*applauds*

Um, I don't mean to pry, but what's the ETA on the new dev diary? OMG, I want to read it!

And, like someone on VE said, if you can get the rest of the game to look that good, my hat is off to you. Actually, my hat is already off to you for putting together such a wonderful feature list.

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

Um, I don't mean to pry, but what's the ETA on the new dev diary? OMG, I want to read it!

I haven't released it because I've been busy with some other issues. Also, Jason has been pissing about with some materials, lighting etc and I have yet to check out the final render. To make matters worse, the AVI movie was too big (95MB) so we decided to use DivX. After rendering it with one of new XP1 sound tracks, the music stops 34 secs into the movie and stops playing. Since we've spent far too much time on this, I doubt that I'd be releasing it. If I do, it will be without the music track.