Danger: newbie with questions!

Kamen

Ive been playing BCM for a little over 3 days now and already I know its gonna be one of my mainstays. Derek, you need to change yer title from Supreme Commander to Supreme Coder. Now, I love all the options for military, but I wanted to try something a tad more peaceful, so I started up a career as a trader in an LRT-10 (I'm assuming Long Range Transport, someone correct me if I'm wrong here). My question is, is there a trade run you can do from the start that will pay for the fuel it uses? It always seems no matter what I haul that I'm in the red when it comes time to fill up the gas tank. and thats just radine, not even touching plutonium. Ive tried running stuff to Lyrius, burns way too much fuel, and to Mars, which doesnt seem to get me enough cash. C'mon, help out da newbie

I have done the forum search. The results are mostly for BCO. The only other post I can find for earning profit in BCM (not Gold) says either use mining drones, which I cannot afford yet, or destroy enemy ships and loot the cargo pods, which is not an option in an LRT. Let me clarify my question. Is there a trade route available at the start of BCM (not Gold) that will cover the cost of the radine and plutonium used, and net you a profit as well?

quote:

Originally posted by Kamen:

Ive been playing BCM for a little over 3 days now and already I know its gonna be one of my mainstays. Derek, you need to change yer title from Supreme Commander to Supreme Coder.

heh.

Anyway Kamen, I know you're new around here, but please read this and fix your sig.

The Ongoing Space Saga of an Intergalactic Newbie...TOSSIN!

(quit snickering, you were there once too...)

Well I figured out what my trading troubles was. You cant buy enough product at the start to make enough profit on any trade run in the CC to cover the cost of radine. Using a shuttle I was able to trade from Galcom HQ to Genesis and make enough cash to max out my little LRT-10 with upgrades. Then, much like a kid at christmas, I discovered that I did in fact have 4 mining drones on board, cleverly hidden in my shuttlecrafts tailpipes. After wrestling with waypoints I now have all 4 making routine trips to earth and the moon. My next conundrum is the probe control in tac-ops. No matter what I do or how many times I give the order, I cant seem to launch one!

I usually, when starting a new game, sell all my spare equipment and all SA/AA missiles. That way I get some starting cash to trade with.

When it comes to probes, I'm sure it's explained in the manual. BUT since I am in a fairly good mood (it's too early in the morning to be in a good mood)

Hit Alt-s (tacops), on the right side of the screen you'll see all your assets. Your probes should be listed here. Left click on one of the GREEN probe-boxes, and you'll get the option to launch a probe. Then simply... launch the probe. On a side note, I'm not sure if trader-ships actually have probes. To check this, goto tactical - loadout - cc. If your ship is fitted with probes, there should be a button with the label "probes" on it.

Most importantly though.... read this and fix your sig.

[ 05-27-2004, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Vixef ]

Sig has been fixed, thank you for your patience. The probe problem has been figured out, but not solved. I followed the instructions in the manual and on the forum, with no luck. Then I started in a carrier and fired off several without a hitch. Looks like LRT-10s can carry probes and load em into launch tubes, but cannot actually launch them. Any word on this SC? Or can anyone else start up a game as an LRT-10 and see if you can fire off a probe?

[ 05-27-2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: Kamen ]