Jump to content
3000AD Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gallion

Misc Tech Support Issues II

Recommended Posts

antaren4279, have you tried totally uninstalling BCM and then doing a reinstall of it and the RC9 patch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, several times by now. I've tried a veriety of things, but I cant seem to place where the error is. I have a hunch that it may be time to reinstall my os. I'm somewhat hesitant on taking the hour to reinstall and reconfigure the computer just to play this game, but I DID buy a new video card just to play the game so I'll probably do it.

The major thing I havent tried is removing my sound card and seeing if the instability is caused by the sound blaster. If I remove it, then I have no joystick.

This is the only error message I've ever gotten, the rest of the time have been CTD.

EXPLORER caused a general protection fault

in module USER.EXE at 0003:00008fb3.

Registers:

EAX=000024b8 CS=17b7 EIP=00008fb3 EFLGS=00000246

EBX=00000000 SS=0d57 ESP=00008cf6 EBP=00008cf8

ECX=00020d9f DS=16bf ESI=00002cf7 FS=0d77

EDX=816cf2f0 ES=0d9f EDI=00000001 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

8e c6 26 39 06 16 00 74 4c 8b 36 4e 01 0b f6 74

Stack dump:

8d1e0000 24b890a8 0d7716bf 00010000 007e0000 00100000 02800000 000001e0 00010d9f 7c160080 02a18d48 148c16ff 01bf0002 8d5c01bf 00380000 0043630c

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm, maybe this would be a good time to do a whole system format before you install your new vidcard. I doubt your SoundBlaster has anything to do with your problem. I have used a SoundBlaster Live and a SoundBlaster 16 PCI and haven't had any problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A full system format? Hmmm, not sure if I'm ready for that, considering I'm chalk full of movies I have yet to burn. Well, I guess I can predict my night right now: I'll spend the hour reinstalling the os, installing all the damn drivers I need, and then when I finally get to the game it will crash the same way again.

I think what I'm going to do is look around at everyone's profiles. Most of the people here built thier machines and have detailed profiles, its time I get a new motherboard anyway. I just wish I could figure out why my machine crashes more then a drunk late to his aa meeting.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing a few trading/mining runs in my Garid between Syrius, Polaris and Zelon with no problems. Then recently I jumped back into the Polaris 2 region, and there is a disabled Valkerie fighter on the radar. I hypered over to near the planet with the intention of retrieving said fighter and delivering it to the Starstation nearby. I gave the CC the 'Tow' order, set the A/P, and the CC engaged planetfall . Curious, I thought. So I launched a shuttle and ordered it to Tow instead, with a resulting CTD. OK, restored the game and went back to Polaris 2. F10 the fighter and it is in space, but try and observe it from Tacops and it is slap bang in the planet (or thereabouts), if you see what I mean? I can't resolve the fighter from the planet, but can zoom in on it, but the planet is nowhere to be seen. From now on, many interactions involving the planet (setting waypoints for example) cause a CTD. Once, even jumping into the region caused a CTD (though I'm not convinced this is related). Is it possible that it was disabled just at the moment it was trying to jump out, and has ended up in some kind of Limbo?

If you want me to Zip up the save game and send it, say the word.

It's a pain in the arse, because there is no other (easy) way to the Credian quad and it's a lottery every time I go there as to whether the game will CTD or not.

Personally, I can just delete the profile and start again, but I'm just curious as to the root cause

Note to self: read appendix before buying

expensive artefacts

Note to self #2: Get it in the right thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Hi SC,

I seem to be having a CTD problem specifcally around acessing the Navcomputer when in flight , if i try to change a destination i get a CTD, now if i acsess the Nav computer but do not selct a new destination and click log of no problem , yet when i chage destination and then click log of i get the CTD,(on a trade run from earth to Pluto) strange eh ? ive reproduced this 5 + times, i have the save game if u want it......i have all the latest drivers for my Video card and sound card ........

MR-PARIS


OK, will check it out now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

If you want me to Zip up the save game and send it, say the word.

It's a pain in the arse, because there is no other (easy) way to the Credian quad and it's a lottery every time I go there as to whether the game will CTD or not.


Send in the saved game.

When I read this, I just jumped to every region in the Credian quad with no problems whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here I go.

Had this issue last night, Roam Scenario, Nightstar ship, launch base Lyrius.I flew to earth and decided to pound an insurgent base set wayoints for shuttles/fighters and OCs on the planet while in orbit and launched them all. One my shuttles launch my Tacops display would intermitantly switch to the bridge display but was showing the display as if I had landed on the planet(I hadn't my CC was still in orbit) this seemed to get worse once the OCs were deployed.

Once it happened the only way out is to switch to bridge view(F1) and go back into TACOPS but once I select ZOOM TO - SUPPORT CRAFT - ANY OC, I would get the same view again.

I have RC9 installed and have checked the VCF so hopefully I won't get shot out an airlock for this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Send in the saved game.

Will try and do it tonight.

quote:

When I read this, I just jumped to every region in the Credian quad with no problems whatsoever.


Maybe I didn't explain myself properly, to get to Credian from Terran is the problem, as you have to go through Polaris 2, which is where the disabled fighter is in my case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

More Info :-

If u acsess a system like Tacops and then navigate to Navtron Computer and set course then back to tacops u DO NOT get the CTD when u log off from Tacops.....

MR-Paris

Mr. Paris and SC,

I noticed that you and I, as well as others who are experiencing CTD, have SB Live/Live Value cards. We both are also using Win XP. I ran a little experiment last night. I went through every step in the FAQ and continued to get a repeatable CTD until I lowered my sound acceleration. I got through a full save without a CTD, but about 10 minutes later, CTD. My sound also started to deteriorate with time (after lowering acceleration), sounding fuzzy and distorted, which combined with the better stability, led me to believe I was on the right track. Then I realized something. I had forgotten to reinstall the newest SB Live drivers http://www.soundblaster.com/support/winxp/...vedrvupdate.asp when I reinstalled Win XP! I noticed Mr. Paris that you are running drivers dated 11/1/01. The new ones are dated 11/29/01. Although XP does install SBL drivers, they aren't the most current. Anyhoo, I proceeded to run BCM for about an hour with no CTD, also with full sound acceleration enabled! It got late so I had to get some shuteye, but will continue to test tonight. Question for the SC. I didn't have any problem running BCM patched with the "official patch". Solid as a rock. I seem to remember, but I'll be damned if I can find where I read it, you saying that after the first official patch, the RC patches MUST use Direct X 8.1 drivers. The download page says all patches must use 8.1, but did the first patch not require it? Just musing as to why patch 1 is solid and the RC9 patch isn't? Hopefully, tonight I'll run without a CTD and prove that this is a driver issue. Mr. Paris, please download the new drivers and let me know if this helps.

Regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by actrade:

Question for the SC. I didn't have any problem running BCM patched with the "official patch". Solid as a rock. I seem to remember, but I'll be damned if I can find where I read it, you saying that after the first official patch, the RC patches MUST use Direct X 8.1 drivers. The download page says all patches must use 8.1, but did the first patch not require it?


BCM shipped with DX 8 and was developed using the DX 8.0a SDK. Thats why the DX 8.0a runtime is on the game CDROM.

During the time the game was in Gold production, MS finalized DX 8.1 and thus the DX 8.1 SDK and runtime.

From that point on, I updated BCM to use DX 8.1 SDK, which also requires DX 8.1 runtime installed.

This is why all patches, starting from 1.0.01, required DX 8.1 runtime.

btw, thanks for the excellent research. Glad I didn't have to do it.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly, to get to Credian from Terran is the problem, as you have to go through Polaris 2, which is where the disabled fighter is in my case.


No point. Just send email explaining the problem, and the saved game exhibiting it. Be sure to follow the guidelines for sending in saved games, as well as the naming convention for the ZIP file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok here goes...

------------------------------------

SYSTEM INFO:

PII 450MHz

384MB SDRAM

9.6 GB free hard drive space

8x DVD-ROM

16x10x40x CD-RW

Windows XP Pro build 2600

XP Application Compatibility Update

------------------------------------

During install, I receive the "Error 1311: Source file not found F:Data.Cab. Verify that the source files exists and that you can access it".

I did that. Couldn't find any problems there.

I tried various install methods, including: the InstallShield Setup file, bcmsetup.bat, and the MSI package. I also tried running each in each of the compatibility modes.

I visually inspected the CD for obvious damage, and found none.

I even tried accessing the Data.Cab file myself, and found that I could successfully extract files manually.

Out of sheer desperation, I even put it in my CD-RW drive to see if it was a drive problem. No go.

What do you think? Hardware problem? Software problem? Defective disk?

I'm gonna check and see if I can get it to install on another computer before I give up and swap it for a different copy.

If it is my hardware, don't worry, I won't *****...I'm about to buy a new computer anyway (nothing like giving yourself a Christmas present).

Thanks for your help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by actrade:

Mr. Paris and SC,

I noticed that you and I, as well as others who are experiencing CTD, have SB Live/Live Value cards. We both are also using Win XP. I ran a little experiment last night. I went through every step in the FAQ and continued to get a repeatable CTD until I lowered my sound acceleration. I got through a full save without a CTD, but about 10 minutes later, CTD. My sound also started to deteriorate with time (after lowering acceleration), sounding fuzzy and distorted, which combined with the better stability, led me to believe I was on the right track. Then I realized something. I had forgotten to reinstall the newest SB Live drivers
when I reinstalled Win XP! I noticed Mr. Paris that you are running drivers dated 11/1/01. The new ones are dated 11/29/01. Although XP does install SBL drivers, they aren't the most current. Anyhoo, I proceeded to run BCM for about an hour with no CTD, also with full sound acceleration enabled! It got late so I had to get some shuteye, but will continue to test tonight. Question for the SC. I didn't have any problem running BCM patched with the "official patch". Solid as a rock. I seem to remember, but I'll be damned if I can find where I read it, you saying that after the first official patch, the RC patches MUST use Direct X 8.1 drivers. The download page says all patches must use 8.1, but did the first patch not require it? Just musing as to why patch 1 is solid and the RC9 patch isn't? Hopefully, tonight I'll run without a CTD and prove that this is a driver issue. Mr. Paris, please download the new drivers and let me know if this helps.

Regards.

Okay i downloaded them last night and installed , ill play test tonight and feed back before hitting the sack...

Mr _Paris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by InversionTheory:

During install, I receive the "Error 1311: Source file not found F:Data.Cab. Verify that the source files exists and that you can access it".

Make sure you've disabled all virus software during install as they are guaranteed to cause problems during the install. If you are paranoid about the cd containing a virus (which it doesn't) scan it before installing and scan your system immediately after. Oh wait, it does contain a mutant strain of the "What day is it?" virus where you suddenly seem to lose days at a time from your life!

PS...the reason virus scanners cause problems is that data.cab is immense and on-access virus scanners (real time scanners) try to read the whole file before allowing your system to interact with it. The delay is so long that the setup program times out. Hence Verify . . . that you can access it

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by InversionTheory:

Ok here goes...

------------------------------------

SYSTEM INFO:

PII 450MHz

384MB SDRAM

9.6 GB free hard drive space

8x DVD-ROM

16x10x40x CD-RW

Windows XP Pro build 2600

XP Application Compatibility Update

------------------------------------

During install, I receive the "Error 1311: Source file not found F:Data.Cab. Verify that the source files exists and that you can access it".

I did that. Couldn't find any problems there.

I tried various install methods, including: the InstallShield Setup file, bcmsetup.bat, and the MSI package. I also tried running each in each of the compatibility modes.

I visually inspected the CD for obvious damage, and found none.

I even tried accessing the Data.Cab file myself, and found that I could successfully extract files manually.

Out of sheer desperation, I even put it in my CD-RW drive to see if it was a drive problem. No go.

What do you think? Hardware problem? Software problem? Defective disk?

I'm gonna check and see if I can get it to install on another computer before I give up and swap it for a different copy.

If it is my hardware, don't worry, I won't *****...I'm about to buy a new computer anyway (nothing like giving yourself a Christmas present).

Thanks for your help.

Had the same problem the other night myself. It just about drove me nuts. First, I got the error message while installing the RC9 patch, then I got it while reinstalling the game. I solved it by restarting my computer and trying it again. These problems crept up as I was installing/uninstalling/reinstalling on back to back to back occasions. I ended up A. unstalling the whole mess B. shutting down my computer C. ran reg cleaner application D. reinstalled without problems. Also had something strange happend that the SC may want to be aware of, even though it may be a wild goose chase I went to download RC9 and saw that the fileplanet servers were full except for New Zealand. I downloaded RC9, installed, and kept getting the same error as InversionTheory did during the patching process. Downloaded it again from the LA server and installed with no problems. Go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm, I also downloaded from the New Zealand server.

Although I have installed without any problems, my game crashes every 10 minutes now. I've done everything I can think of, including reinstalling my o.s. I've spent hours at the video card tweaking sites, but the problem seems to be uneffected by anything I do.

Before I go and rip apart my computer, I'll redownload from the L.A. server and report back tonight when I have some time to test.

"What? Monday? Where the hell did the weekend go? @#@#%@#%#%!!!"

BCM IS the virus.

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:


Originally posted by actrade:

Also had something strange happend that the SC may want to be aware of, even though it may be a wild goose chase


If there ever was one, that would be it.

And I moved the file over to FP because of the sheer bandwidth you guys are chewing up here. Its bad enough that I just forked out hard moola to move the site to a new server, only to find that the bandwidth (30GB a month) is blown in less than two weeks!!

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30GB? Wow.... I can host a mirror on the RP Source, if Blades lets me. I get enough traffic from newbies as it is, and it doesn't seem to slow down. (I'll keep an eye out for what Blades has to say, before uploading it. He's sys-admin after all for the server, and I wouldn't want him to get fired in real life for killing the server..... )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay here goes the Report...

Installed the new SB driver, then re-installed the patch , played for about a hour then a CTD when asessing certain systems as in Navcom , although if i quick save adn then use the other sytem of going to Navcam via tacops , again no major problem.......

Mr_Paris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Okay here goes the Report...

Installed the new SB driver, then re-installed the patch , played for about a hour then a CTD when asessing certain systems as in Navcom , although if i quick save adn then use the other sytem of going to Navcam via tacops , again no major problem.......

Mr_Paris

Well, here's my report. No CTD since I installed the new SB drivers (fingers crossed) I played for about an hour or two tonight with no probs, so drivers definately the cure here.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, which one of you ladies sent me on a wild goose chase with this disappearing Tacops TTD business???

I can't reproduce it and as such, I've removed it from the VCF (which I've now updated with other fixes).

1.0.02 goes final tonite, so, unless I have a way of accurately 100% reproducing this, its not going in.

I still stand by what I posted before, its not a bug and the TTD is probably being filtered out or toggled. This can happen depending on the Tacscan mode, the CVD/RTM mode or even the TTD toggle itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SC,

Could you please look into this, I have posted about it in numerous places on the forum, and I have read the VCF and do not see it mentioned. If you tell me its not a bug I swear I will speak of it no more. Take any crusier or carier down to planet, land, turn of engine. Go to tack ops and launch shuttle. The result here is it goes to bridge view, with graphic glitch after shuttle is luanched, and I can not return to tac ops untill it is recovered. Sometimes it takes launching a second shuttle but it always happens. I can reproduce it every time, with rc9.

Also, I have talked with others who have reproduced it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×