BCMG multiplayer startup failure

Anarchist

the description of the problem is quite simple. whenever I try to start the MP-client or server in using the shortcuts....just nothing seems to happen. not the smallest window shows up.

the singleplayer mode showed no problems so far.

the buglog file contains this: "Could not find server_password.bmp"

the shortcuts have these parameters:

client: bcmg.exe /c

server: bcmg.exe /s

which sounds logical to me.

this seems to be one of the rare cases, where I cannot fix such problem by myself. I hope I haven't done anything really dumb. at least I don't remember.

hmmm,...I am absolutely sure of having copied the patch into the main game directory before starting it. always being very diligent, when it comes to computer issues (you would expect this from a NetworkAdministrator, right? )

to be precise, I installed the 2 patches from your site in ascending order. I hope that was correct.

do I mess it up in reinstalling the latest patch or both again? obviously there went something wrong and the blame could be really on my side.

[ 06-06-2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Capt. Anarchist ]

Let me put it this way. The missing file resides in the gfxfrontendinterface.zip archive. If you don't have that archive or that file does not exist, you didn't patch the game correctly. Period.

...and being a network admin has nothing to do with making patch errors. I'm a car driver, but you won't find me messing around with my ignition system. For that, I call my garage.

And the fact you are the first - and only person - to have this problem, since BCM Gold was released back in March 2003, should be a clue.

...first, thanx for the info.

I am currently installing BCMG on a second machine for dedi-server purpose. should be able to copy missing files from this new installation as soon as it is patched.

Though I cannot remember ever having messed up a patch in my gaming career, LOL, logic dictates: in this case me or my machine have made a mistake.

thank you for your help!

I think I found the cause of the problem now.

I downloaded the 1.01 patch (which must be applied first) from the Dreamcatcher-link on your page. sadly behind this link there is the 1.01.04 patch, which should not be applied to the retail version (as far as I understand it) in contrary to the comment next to the link.

unfortunately I downloaded from this link and got the 1.01.04 patch instead of the 1.01 patch as the link suggests.

no offense, though.

yesssss! the server on my second machine is working now. I used the 1.01 patch from the GamersHell link this time, and it was the right one.

although I ran into another problem when starting the "BCServerConfig.exe": "msvcp60.dll missing". this file seems not to come with win98se, which my BCMG-server runs on. so I copied this .dll from my XP-machine into the windows32-folder of the '98-machine and it just runs fine.

just posting this for other people who might run into this problem.

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Anarchist:

so I copied this .dll from my XP-machine into the windows32-folder of the '98-machine and it just runs fine.

It may run fine, but it is better to download and run this: Microsoft VC redistributable package. It contains some more files that the .dll may need, which may or may not be installed already.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

quote:

Originally posted by Wody:

quote:

Originally posted by Capt. Anarchist:

so I copied this .dll from my XP-machine into the windows32-folder of the '98-machine and it just runs fine.

It may run fine, but it is better to download and run this: Microsoft VC redistributable package. It contains some more files that the .dll may need, which may or may not be installed already.

Greetings,

Wouter Dijkslag

...thanx. this seems to be wise indeed!

I had a problem when I started a MP game on my computer (even after a fresh install). Every time i'd click on one of the links it would do nothing. Ends up that in the shortcut, there was nothing in the "Start In" part. I entered my game folder ("C:games3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Gold") and it worked.

Doesn't sound like it was your problem, but maybe it will help someone else.