New UC Movies - Released

Supreme Cmdr

....not yet, but I've just bought and checked out the latest version of Fraps which now also captures sound. I did some sample movies and they were quite good. A tag grainy, but very good.

So, what kind of movies would you guys like to see? I was thinking of doing a space combat one, and then a planetary air/ground combat one showing how to manage your troops using the new Troop Orders menu etc.

[ 11-18-2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good epic fleet battle should be great, and also some of the new parts of the game like a ground battle that starts from a naval one, the soldiers deploying on these cool boats, and then some gunships take off from the carrier...something like that.

Anyways, whatever you do should be good.

Cheers

EDIT: I think an epic space battle with capital ships, moving to fighters, moving to Space marines and space stations, moving to air battles in atmosphere, switching to a navy sea battle, then smaller vessels and then moving to a groundwar with vehicles, and then finally to individual troop movements would be really cool.

Would show the true scale of the game, not long sequences, just go from one to the other after about 30 seconds each, then concentrate on the troop movement etc at the end to really show the feel of UC to those FPS kind of guys....

Just my thoughts...

[ 11-16-2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Just as I suspected. The usual unrealistic requests. Even a 1 min movie at 800x600 (the lowest supported by UC), could be close to 500MB. Let alone one that shows all the game's capabilities and which could span an hour or more.

Damn, and here I was going to put in my request for a movie: A gaggle of scantily clad vixens surrounding your AE and kissing and hugging him upon his victorious return on one of many exploits!!

quote:

Just as I suspected. The usual unrealistic requests. Even a 1 min movie at 800x600 (the lowest supported by UC), could be close to 500MB. Let alone one that shows all the game's capabilities and which could span an hour or more.

Compress it. Zip it. They did it yesterday on Screen Savers. Then you can do a long one like this:

UNIVERSAL COMBAT INTRO DISSOLVES TO ...

SCENE: An enemy ground base, camera pans around the base for a birds-eye view. Voiceover discusses that the mission is to destroy an enemy base, etc. Dissolve to ...

SCENE: Transporter overhead view of marines transporting down to a secure spot near the base. Voiceover explains that the marines are sent down first to reconnoiter. Cut from overhead view to master shot of marines on the ground with enemy base in the background.

SCENE: Shuttle launching from the command ship. The AE is aboard, along with an OC filled with more marines. Voiceover talks about using the OC to attack the enemy base. Cut to interior of shuttle as it approaches planetfall. Cut to standard animation as the shuttle reaches the planet. Cut to ...

SCENE: POV marines, watching shuttle fly overhead. Cut to ...

SCENE: Interior of shuttle as it lands. Scene shows procedures AE uses to deploy OC then exit in FP mode. Cut to ...

SCENE: AE outside of shuttle, standing next to OC. As he heads toward first group of marines, voiceover explains that the enemy base looks quiet enough and that two marines will be dispatched to check it out. Cut to ...

SCENE: POV of AE as he watches the two marines, halfway into the complex, get cut down by sniper fire. Voiceover expresses appropriate sentiment. Dissolve to ...

SCENE: Outside the command craft as fighters and the remaining shuttles launch. Voiceover explains that the fighters will soften up the base for a ground assault by the OCs; the foot soldiers will clean up the mess. In a sequence of shots, the camera follows one of the fighters down to the planet. Cut to ...

SCENE: The other OCs have now deployed around the perimeter of the enemy base. Ground level master shot of fighters approaching and attacking. Cut to ...

SCENE: Interior of one attacking fighter as it makes a pass on the base. Cut to ...

SCENE: Medium shot of the lead OC as it heads into battle. Cut quickly to each of the other OCs in sequence such that you can tell they are different OCs. Voiceover talks about how, now that the fighters have softened the target, the OCs will move in and quickly finishes the job.

SCENE: Interior of lead OC as it heads into the battle.

SCENE: Long shot of OCs attacking and destroying various targets. Cut to a quick sequence of medium shots showing targets being destroyed, OCs on the move, and marines fighting on the ground. Voiceover makes comments on the action. Fade to ...

SCENE: Master shot of destroyed base. Cut to ...

SCENE: Interior of shuttle, with enemy base in view, lifting off. Voiceover talks about how the success of this mission will help rid GalCom of another enemy threat.

FADE TO BLACK.

Then one where assets are used to mount an assault on a base under the sea.

And another where a command ship lifts off from a planet, launches into space, docks with a station, then heads out to gather the fleet and destroy an enemy space station.

Or maybe one about the mundane life of a merchant marine, ferrying goods from one corner of the galaxy to another, protecting himself and his cargo as need be.

Or, you could just do a series of quick cuts showing a wide variety of what can be done in UC ... set to fast-tempo music. As the final shot slams shut, the screen goes black and somebody gasps, "Awesome!"

quote:

DS: You could as you said export from UC at 800 x 600, then use Virtual Dub to grab the shots you want and compress them. Then Re-assemble them all in Virtual Edit Lite and add music. To cut down the size even more, using TMPG you can convert to mpeg, so that its a very small file type (I've converted some 24min stuff to roughly 240mb files with it).

If you wanted to compress it still more, using Windows Media Encoder it could be cut down to a few mb(3min Muisc Video, roughly, 7mb).

If you want some links I'd be more than happy to oblige.

quote:

Is this size with or without a form of video compression being applied?

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

Then you can do a long one like this:

Yep, I was right. This thread was such a bad idea. heh

quote:

Originally posted by IceBladeTSW:

DS: You could as you said export from UC at 800 x 600, then use Virtual Dub to grab the shots you want and compress them. Then Re-assemble them all in Virtual Edit Lite and add music. To cut down the size even more, using TMPG you can convert to mpeg, so that its a very small file type (I've converted some 24min stuff to roughly 240mb files with it).

If you wanted to compress it still more, using Windows Media Encoder it could be cut down to a few mb(3min Muisc Video, roughly, 7mb).

Right. I'm glad that at least someone thinks I'm going through all that crap; with the limited time I have on my hands.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

Then you can do a long one like this:

Yep, I was right. This thread was such a bad idea. heh

quote:

Originally posted by IceBladeTSW:

Right. I'm glad that at least someone thinks I'm going through all that crap; with the limited time I have on my hands.

I could help if u want since you don't have alot of time to do it

Start closer to surface and work your way out. Here's a 30 second TV-commercial-length commercial:

1) 3 secs - High angled shot of a solitary soldier is running through a forrest. He is positioned in the center of the screen, the point of focus. Laser fire flies by. Epic style music begins low volume 2 seconds after the start of this scene. The music will continue to build to the videos climax.

2) 3 secs - Using the same angle as above, the point of focus is no longer a soldier, but the scene cuts to a speeding jeep. The signs of battle continue as lasers flash by the jeep.

3) 3 secs - Using the same angle as above, the point of focus is no longer a jeep, but the scene cuts to a shot of an aircraft carrier. Small aircrafts are taking off from the deck.

4) 2 secs - Using the same angle as above, the point of focus is no longer an aircraft carrier but the same type of aircraft as we saw taking off in the last scene.

5) 4 secs - The aircraft remains the focal point but the camera now changes angles to follow the craft. Enemies fly by and some shots are exchanged.

6) 3 secs - Camera changes to a frontal shot of the craft, showing that there is an enemy on his six. The craft angles upward pushing the horizon out of view. All we see is ocean and earth.

7) 1 sec - The aircraft flys past the camera and the camera whips around to another chase shot.

8) 3 secs - The scene cuts to another shot of the same ship but in space. Enemy and friendly ships fly past.

9) 4 secs - The ship turns around revealing the planet from space and a massive space battle. Two or more capital ships and dozens of fighters.

10) 2 secs - In a flash of light several half-second scenes are flashed in front of our faces showing massive battles on land, sea, air, and space.

11) 2 secs - Finally the Universal Combat logo appears giving us reprieve as the music dies off.

Basically, stringing together some 3-rd person gameplay clips starting with the lowest common denomenator and build toward the grand and epic.

i dont know a single bit of marketing, publishing, etc but i dont think we need a short-big-sized movie which not everyone will download with the release date being so close. Maybe you could consider releasing some video clips after you get away of all this "finishing-the-game" madness.

Just my thoughts

Cheers!

I recommend using DivX. You get smaller files and much better quality than mpeg. Thou it requires more CPU to play and encode but gets em really small. I recomend using VirtualDub as well. If u like u can send the recorded movie to me and ill encode it takes me about a day to encode a movie.

I have made 8 movies. 5 in space and 3 on the planet.

I recorded them in 800x600 using Fraps. The smallest file was about 4GB. .

Then I used VirtualDub to remove unwanted frames and then a resizer plugin to drop it to 640x480.

I then (using VDub again), stripped the audio stream (which was now out of synch with the audio due to the deleted frames).

Then I took the original 44Hz MP3 music, loaded it into Nero Wave Editor and reduced it to the length of the video, then saved it out as a 22Hz PCM wav file.

Went back to VDub and added the music

Final file size on average is about 31MB for a 2:50 movie. The other movies are similar length, with the smallest being 1:34 long and 16MB in size.

Will start distributing them this week.

quote:

I have made 8 movies. 5 in space and 3 on the planet.

I recorded them in 800x600 using Fraps. The smallest file was about 4GB. .

Then I used VirtualDub to remove unwanted frames and then a resizer plugin to drop it to 640x480.

I then (using VDub again), stripped the audio stream (which was now out of synch with the audio due to the deleted frames).

Then I took the original 44Hz MP3 music, loaded it into Nero Wave Editor and reduced it to the length of the video, then saved it out as a 22Hz PCM wav file.

Went back to VDub and added the music

Final file size on average is about 31MB for a 2:50 movie. The other movies are similar length, with the smallest being 1:34 long and 16MB in size.

Will start distributing them this week.

From 4gig to 31mb+ impressive most impressive. Can't wait to see 'em!!

spacecraft.gif