New UC Movies - Released

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by ParasiteX:

Recording stuff without compression really sucks up HD space especially at 800*600. im amazed its only 4 GB. 31MB is pretty nice size what codec did you use.

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that. Well, I had gone off and bought the boxed version of TMPGenc so that I could do MPEG=II. Since it wasn't going to arrive for a few days, I had some free time, so I decided to see how much I could accomplish with what I had. After going through all the steps, I was fishing in Start/Programs when I noticed that I had the latest DivX installed on this machine. And it was the pro version to boot. So, I had a DivX codec. With that knowledge, I took off on a new movie making career. Anyway, the movies are in DivX format, using the 5.05 codec.

whoa, thats odd. I decided to compress the movies using Windows Movie Maker; and using the High Quality Video (large) codec setting, all the movies shaved around 10-12MB on average without any visible visual loss. Color me stumped as I never knew that the WMV format was this good.

e.g. on an originally 4GB file, compressed with DivX, the size was 31MB. In the WMV format, it dropped to 19MB.

Hmmm naice i havent played around with WMV but thats a pretty nice size. Usually you can have as low as 700-800kbs bitrate with DivX without any noticible loss of quality but to have it this low then the source video has to be very HQ. To get em as small as possible u have to do multible encoding passes. The more passes you do the better the end quality and size. With HQ source Videos u only need about 2-3 passes for optimal quality. I calculated that to encode an 2:50 min video with DivX to 31MB u must have used about 1400-1500bit rate wich is a bit high. I myself Use 900kbs on stuff i encode. I once saw someone who encoded an 23min anime to less than 100MB without any compression artifacts. My computer usually takes about 2 hours per pass to encode a 23 min video and about 10 hours if im gonna use smoothing and sharpening filters .

lol!!!

Keep getting that file size lower SC, the 56kers will appreciate it i'm sure. (I'm not a 56ker, but I never forget where I came from. )

I can't wait to see this.

Oh and guys, the next time the SC asks for requests like this.....Please keep in mind the bandwidth costs he has to put out for this stuff.

The movies have been released. Check here for links to dedicated hosting sites.

The way I did those is that I made a rather large recording using Fraps, then edited it

using VirtualDub and broke it down into five parts. So, you need all five in order to view the entire sequence.

I will have the planet based ones ready by next week; these are space only.

[ 11-18-2003, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

whoa, thats odd. I decided to compress the movies using Windows Movie Maker; and using the High Quality Video (large) codec setting, all the movies shaved around 10-12MB on average without any visible visual loss.

Yup. My apologies. I should've provided the link to the Screen Savers episode referenced in my way-too-long post. Windows Media is at the bottom of the page.

Just some quick feedback after viewing the first movie...

Amazing!!

The ship models look great as expected but I loved the shield and hull damage particle effects. Also, space seemed so much more rich and realistic than BCM. It had a certain depth to it thats hard to explain. Seemed more vast or something.

Great job! Downloading the rest...

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

Just some quick feedback after viewing the first movie...

heh, thats nuthin. Wait'll you see the rest of the movies. Or better yet, the game.

quote:

but I loved the shield and hull damage particle effects.

Time to start stroking your card's Pixel Shader because if your card does not have one, it will use the legacy effects from BCM/G.

quote:

heh, thats nuthin. Wait'll you see the rest of the movies. Or better yet, the game.

Agree, viewing trailers and screen shots is nutting compared to an actual real time 3d experience. But it is still good to give an idea on a game. Dloading now got 70% to go. See what happens when I leave the forum for a few hours!!! Oh yeah just checked in with my pixel shaders and they report everything is honky-dory all pixels are a go and on standby...... If I need to stroke my Pixel shaders should I do uee the tune of Billy Squires STROKEN.

[ 11-18-2003, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

SC: I'm glad the programs i listed helped. If you ever need my help with vids, or actually doing them (I'd be more than happy to) please just tell me.

You didn't need to import into Windows Movie Maker, you could have used Windows Media Encoder, but whatever floats your boat.

Downloading the vids as we speak.

quote:

Originally posted by IceBladeTSW:

SC: I'm glad the programs i listed helped. If you ever need my help with vids, or actually doing them (I'd be more than happy to) please just tell me.

You didn't need to import into Windows Movie Maker, you could have used Windows Media Encoder, but whatever floats your boat.

Downloading the vids as we speak.

Yeah, VirtualDub turned out pretty good

As for why I used WMM, had I not used it, I would have had to go through hoops (with VDub plugins) to put in the movie titles. In WMM its a snap to do.

quote:

Yeah, VirtualDub turned out pretty good

As for why I used WMM, had I not used it, I would have had to go through hoops (with VDub plugins) to put in the movie titles. In WMM its a snap to do.

oh yeah! I neglected that part .

but anyway, just to reiterate, if you need my help for anything with vids, for a trailer, muisc video, whatever, I'm there (for free! lol).

Watched the vids: the game looks great, i think the extra time has been well well worth the wait.

NIIIICE! The graphics looks extremly improved. How will fighter movement be like is it simelar to WC or more like Elite 2 or something in between. Havent played BC for a while my 2.0V is collecting dust in a shelf somewhere. Definatly gonna buy this one when it comes out.

Im very impressed by the WMV format didnt think it was this good. gonna do some experimenting with it.

It was my wifes Birthday today, so just got home and downloaded the movies.

Excellent SC, and the poor Insurgents took a beating, BADLY!!!

But hey, less of them for us Gammulans to deal with!! LOL

Those look really good SC, I am looking forward to the rest of them as you release them.

And the music was superb, just as in BCM.

I like it, I like it a lot!!

quote:

Originally posted by Terran Marine:

The space battles were cool and the music rocked. Nice work DC.

Nice work DC? Are you out of your mind? DC had NOTHING to do with ANY of this. They didn't even know about it until I had uploaded the movies and told them about it.

As far as I'm concerned, they're not marketing the game (despite my having to extend my development because of this BCG to UC crap). Instead, they're busy marketing - yet another - "me too" shooter, Painkiller; which, incidentally, has slipped to next year. So, I've taken upon myself to resume marketing and promoting my game.

ps: I see you've re-registered another alias after the previous one was banned. Please try to behave. Assuming of course you're the same person whose "marine" alias was banned last week. I don't have time to check the IPs.

quote:

Originally posted by Commander Elio Jason:

your ship(GCV-Warmonger) didn't look like any ship i'd seen before except sometihng like the BC MK1. is that a new ship?

Its a Megaron carrier

quote:

Originally posted by rtoolooze:

Movies were great SC! The music was awesome as well, and had that classic BC feel to them. Wonderful!

Yeah, Vanethian did a great job. Believe me, it wasn't easy matching the style I wanted - especially after Raven Audio's style in BCM/G; but Manuel did a truly kick-ass job. Then again, this should be no surprise, since I only hire professionals who know wtf they're doing.