Roam advice -- What to do?

So I've been playing on Campaign, still learning and getting the hang of being a Commander.

If I were to switch to Roam mode, what do I do? I mean, do I get missions at starbases? Should I scan planets and investigate the mission zones (the yellow spots, right?) for something to do? How to I obtain objectives?

There aren't any specific missions in roam mode. You basically just, well "roam" around and do whatever the hell you want. Go to distant galaxies, explore planets, meet exotic people, and kill them. I only play roam because I love the freedom of it.

OK well let me ask a few newb questions then

(preface -- I've scoured this forum for info before I ask, so please don't tell me to use the search function lol.)

How do I know where I should send drones to mine? Just any planet surface, or should I look for mission zones of some particular type? (I haven't actually done anything on a planet yet, so bear with me if this will be obvious once I venture into that realm)

In the campaign, is it a good idea to spend a whole lot of time just hunting ships for money, or should I aggressively move to the mission objective? I seem to die a lot when I wander, since I have never had any kind of upgrade.

Is there a list of ship specs online anywhere?

How about info on the different races?

Guest rtoolooze

Dude, go into your UC folder, then go into the docs folder, and then go into the appendix folder. There you will find the specs you are looking for.

(Also, don't forget to put your system profile in your sig. Instuctions on how to do that is here in the forums. Also, you do have the latest patch right?)

[ 05-24-2004, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: rtoolooze ]

quote:

Originally posted by Fleshpile:

So I've been playing on Campaign, still learning and getting the hang of being a Commander.

Please the Read This Now! link at the top of the forum, then register the game and fix your sig please.

Rules are simple, if you wish to post here, you have to follow these rules. If you don't, you can't post (or your post will be deleted). In which case if you need tech support, the email address is on the inside cover of the manual.

Nobody is allowed to respond to posts in which the poster does not have their registration info in their sig. Think of it as a badge of honor. Or something.

quote:

what do I do?

What do you want to do?

I've only been playing UC for a few hours in Roam mode and so far I've explored the solar system, stolen a jeep from a military base, watched my battlecruiser land (almost on top of me) and got to clean out the forward guns (why me?! I'm in charge of this thing...)

At the moment though the cruiser is in a bit of a mess after being pounced on by an enemy that damaged the nuclear reactor - If your not using yours can I borrow it?!

[ 06-01-2004, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: Kazinar ]

...why don't you make an agenda for yourself before starting your Roam. and then act accordingly to your list of priorities. as a terran commander you defend allies and civil vessels for example. or you can try to clean a certain planet from any enemies, if that's possible.

quote:

why don't you make an agenda for yourself

Thats a good idea, at the start I had some problems getting to grips with things so I took my ship a crew on a shakedown cruise and tried different things out then some pirates lept out of hyperspace and blew a poor innocent freighter to pieces in front of me..... after that the cruise went out of the window and now I'm hellbent on revenge!

quote:

then some pirates lept out of hyperspace and blew a poor innocent freighter to pieces in front of me..... after that the cruise went out of the window and now I'm hellbent on revenge!

I think you are getting the idea.