Jihad and jingoism on Iran's streets

Soback

Jihad and jingoism on Iran's streets

"Asked for her views on President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's remark that Israel "must be wiped off the map", Ms Kohandani, a 21-year-old law student, was unreflecting. "Whatever he says is right, his words are Islam's words," she said. "Israel is of no importance to Iran. We don't believe in it as a country. The word 'Israel' doesn't exist on our maps. We write Palestine instead."

"Hamed Babayi, 27, an agricultural engineering student, said he was "proud" of the president. "I am proud of him because he is speaking strongly against superpowers like Israel and America. I have promised myself that I would go to war against Israel, America or any other country that attacks Iran. We should wipe not only the government of Israel, but also those of America and Britain off the map. But we don't mean their people."

Well, don't tell me.

That's what those Iranians are saying. They are just trying to be carefull so as not to be labeled as calling for genocide. Lookts to me however, that that's exactly what they are doing.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

We should wipe not only the government of Israel, but also those of America and Britain off the map. But we don't mean their people."

That statement made no sense at all.

She probably meant each country's government. Like what was supposed to happen in Iraq ... get rid of the government and leave the people in peace.

quote:

Originally posted by Marvin:

quote:

quote:

We should wipe not only the government of Israel, but also those of America and Britain off the map. But we don't mean their people."

That statement made no sense at all.

She probably meant each country's government. Like what was supposed to happen in Iraq ... get rid of the government and leave the people in peace.
That's the way I read it too Marvin.

People of Iraq FOUGHT their own government.

People of Israel, US, Britain, will FIGHT FOR their government. I doubt she is so ignorant as to not know that.

That's why you could separate people of Iraq from their government, you can't however, separate people of Israel, US or Britain from their governments, because we the people ARE the government. Unlike in Iraq where Sadam got 100% of the vote in last "election"

quote:

Yup, I was going to post the article about this same issue but I got too irritated. With a representetive people like, they make Bush look like he's got a 150+ IQ.

It isn't very difficult to find people that make a group look smart/dumb/whatever.

quote:

... because we the people ARE the government.

Except for that little thing called the Civil War where half the country wanted to secede.

Not to mention "we the people" have let our own government get away from us.

The statement that person made was because our government supports Israel. Personally, I don't think we should be involved.

quote:

Except for that little thing called the Civil War where half the country wanted to secede.

Don't you dare turn this into a North vs. South Thread - I'm a Bronx native Yankee living in Memphis, TN. If you get the rednecks all fired up, I'm probably their first target!