Master & Slave Unacceptable

Though I can understand how someone, whose ancestors were ENSLAVED lot too long ago, might find offense to a decade or so old naming convention, I would like to think that the terms Master and Slave would eventually only invoke images of hard drives.

To ban the naming convention only serves to solidify in stone the images of slavery whenever Master or Slave are mentioned.

I agree we shouldn't forget, but let's at least allow ourselves to heal.

LOL, think they should stop using internet

if they knew DNS, NIS(+) etc are using master/slave servers as well.

I think the "kill" command and the "zombie process "should be removed too.

Or how about this. This sounds sinister

"ORPHAN PROCESS"

Definition: A Unix process whose original parent has terminated and which has become a child of "init(1)".

I think that it's plain and simple someone looking to make some money. Or it's someone who is extremely ignorant. Granted, they were enslaved not to long ago, that does not mean we should have to hear about it for the rest of time. Build a bridge, get over it. It's a computer term, not even close to a slave in the derogatory sense..

Okay, now now, I think verbal sensitivity has gone too far. What's next redubing all movies to remove all these refrences too. I can see it now,

Empire Strikes back redub take 1: Darth Vader (in a communication to the Emperor):"What is your bidding my precious".

Return of the Jedi redub take 1: Darth Vader (talking to his son luke before taken to the Emperor): "I must obey my precious"

(shivers) need I say more .

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

Yeah I saw this a while ago, I agree with Blerm and it
IS
stupid and extreme.

Originally posted by Bandus:

quote:

Granted, they were enslaved not to long ago, that does not mean we should have to hear about it for the rest of time. Build a bridge, get over it.

I "get over it" and rise above it everyday since our world/people remind me of it everyday. Its a fact of life and history serves a purpose.

Originally posted by Jaguar:

quote:

It's almost time to clean out the Gene pool.

How'd ya mean Jag?

There are WAY too many people that are just looking for something to be offended about.

[ 11-29-2003, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Jaguar ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

The whole idea of being offended because this being about a certain *Type* of people being enslaved for a couple hundered years in recent history is Ridiculous in the First place. The concept and usage of Slavery dates back to the Dawn of civilization. 99% of the entire history of the master slave relationship has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Color of someones skin. There are countless reasons one people or another were considered slaves or masters.

We need better education in schools, instead of all the Bull*** agenda driven education that goes on. This kind of crap would stop.

I definitely find the term offensive. I wish we could all "get over it" but as Dreada alluded to it is a hell of lot easier to do that if your decendents were the masters not the slaves.

On the other hand , it is just stupid to file a discrimination suit based on that alone. It weakens legitimate suits against companies who really do practice discrimination. It causes divisiveness and polarizes people.

Lastly give Jag a break on the gene pool thing. I know it may have sounded culturally insensitive. But having "known" him for awhile, this is more directed to the intellectually challenged, which last I checked encompasses all races religions and gender. In short, He beleives there are way too many dumb people, a beleif of his that is slowly gaining favor with me.

quote:

Originally posted by BattleGroupAlpha:

LOL I have not heard anything like it - so what do we "set our jumpers" to ??

I once told my I.T Tutor to go Fdisk himself and he was fine with it !!!

Oh well

Jumpers??? Oh the horror!!!

Frogs around the world must be in uproar over the use of the word "jumpers".

Its stupid crap like this which takes away from legitimate problems.

quote:

99% of the entire history of the master slave relationship has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Color of someones skin.

if you're insinuating (sp?) anything about what i said, know that i was attemping to make a reference to the "being offended" part, there was no connection between skin color and slavery.

quote:

You know Ep5, whilst I can't speak for anyone else, I'd personally pay real hard cash to figure out where you're coming from sometimes, really...

ROFL last time i checked my location is still at the bottom of my every post.

quote:

a beleif of his that is slowly gaining favor with me.

[shameless jab]Yeah, look who's president! [/shameless jab]