HL2 Source Code Leaked

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man.. that sucks...

Wonder if they'll ever find out who the person.... or person's, is who did this.. and if so... just place them infront of one of our Battlecruisers... we'll teach em a listen

At least we know it'll never happen to BCM, if it does then SC will have a field day with whoever does it...

Anywho I just hope they find out who did this and send them on there merry way (right into the sights of my marine snipers that is )

I heard about this as well, they don't seem to be too concerned though, because sccording to them, not much can be done with it without the rest of the files. Although they are going to keep an eye out for any game that uses that code and doesn't have a license from them.

The code is pretty "unique" so it should be fairly easy to spot, and then whoever used it, is royally screwed.

Okay we all know that who ever did this should be shot but there's one aspect of this whole thing everyone seems to be missing. Why in God's name do they have that sensitive data on or near any of their computers that's connected to the internet!? I don't care how secure you think your computer, server and network is protected nothing is 100%. There is always going to be some little genius that comes along to prove you wrong. In this aspect I lay 50% of the blame on valve and the other 50% on the miscreant who did the deed.

I still dont know if i believe it or not....the whole Gabe asking for help from the HL community to find the Mission Impossible Hackers who stole the code.

Kinda seems like propaganda, like they knew they weren't going to be able to put the game out on the deadline they created. So they came up with a "not our fault" scenario so people wont be too pissed off about the delay.

Oh well...either way its still bad.

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

People have downloaded the source code (do a search and you'll probably find it), so how can it be fake? Unless it's a fake put put by Valve. Either way this really sucks. I wanna find those hackers (if they're real) and beat 'em with a baseball bat.

I myself am more partial to the conspiracy part of this whole thing. Only a third of the source code was swiped? Hmmmm.... And without all the other support files not much anyone can do with that code except look at it. As MOST has stated " like they knew they weren't going to be able to put the game out on the deadline they created. So they came up with a "not our fault" scenario so people wont be too pissed off about the delay."

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

You ever designed a game using the amount of source code they used for HalfLife2 LostinSpace? Right then...

You lost me with that... What does the size ofthe code have anything to do with putting that stuff on computers that have access to the internet?

SC maybe you can help out with this do you have all your game stuff such as Source codes etc.. on a computer that accesses the Internet?

BTW: The HL2 E3 Tech demo is avail it's a 731mb download and the Source code is a 42mb download. .

quote:

The delay is bad news for VU Games, which suffered a 29 percent fall in revenue and an operating loss of 52 million euros in 2003's first half and was betting on swift holiday sales.

Let's hope it's a fast rewrite and this act doesn't tank the company. I just ran across this too.

Looks like the theft went beyond Valve.

quote:

Originally posted by Sebbish:

I agree with this post from PlanetHalflife:

quote:

Yargh. I've had it up to here with you crack pot high school kids and dumb **** conspiracy theories.

No company would ever, ever, EVER do something like that. See Illcons post above and take note of the getting sued potential.

Has Valve ever had a problem delaying games? Hell no. Has delaying a game ever hurt them in sales? Hell no. If they wanted to delay it because it wasn't done, they would just delay it. Much like they did on the 30th (maybe the leak played a part in this but Steam is by no means in a working state yet, regardless of the leak Steam has to work first).

Go back to predicting the end of the world by the way your shit floats around the bowl (or possibly the way it lies on the ground next to it judging by your screaming ignorance).

The source was leaked. Valve didn't release it as a "smoke screen". Any one who says otherwise has an IQ less than 4.

Why wouldn't Valve simply say the game is delayed? Releasing the source code on purpose would be a lot worse than just saying the game is delayed and dissapointing some people. But, I guess there will always be conspiracy theorists (that stupid Fox moon conspiracy comes to mind ).

Taking into account the way companies are operated nowadays anything is possible. And for this guy to say conspiracy theorists have an IQ of 4 is dead wrong. Most conspiracy theorists look at all the facts including the subtle ones and base their and make suppostitions on that. We do not come to our conclusions willy nilly or take anyones statements at face value. Take this for example: "The delay is bad news for VU Games, which suffered a 29 percent fall in revenue and an operating loss of 52 million ($61.36 million) in 2003's first half and was betting on swift holiday sales." Okay here's the plot. Suppose Valve developers found a major bug in the game or some other engine problem(pre source theft)and know they need to re-write or tweak a good portion of the game's source code (don't forget that Half Life 1 was delayed for a year because of the game engine too). Both VU and Valve are already in financial poo poo so what better than to come up with this scheme of source code theft by a hacker(s) to keep the creditors or whomever off their backs about the financial returns(the original source code is important yes but as far as a 100% working game engine it's worthless. Consider it more of a beta code) until the game is ready to go. Hackers get the blame Valve and VU are in clear to put in a delay and both companies can wipe the sweat off their financial faces. If the guy who wrote the above article looked at all the facts he'd probably come to same conclusion.

Most of us, me included, could care less about the leaked source code (not that most of us could do anything with it anyway). I am getting this game either way. I just love a good conspiracy .

[ 10-08-2003, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: LostInSpace ]

Yeah i hate to turn this into an argument, but lets look at the facts too. If the guy who wrote that would sit back and think for a minute, one of the biggest points that i think has already been made is HOW could that happen. Seriously, i'm not a network 'guru' but how the hell could they actually get into their network. Especially a pc game provider like Valve, and Gabe describing it as his 'cpu acting funny.'

Give me a break, that was just an insult to all the people who know about computers. And i agree with Lost in Space on the reasons why they wouldn't just come right out and say its not ready yet.

And i guess we would always have those people who accept everything thats fed to them, even b.s.

(just in case the tone was too harsh)

No Most, I doubt that you will get an argument from anyone regarding that.

The stealing of HL2's source code was insane, to have it on a machine that had access to the interent was even more insane.

I believe that the SC has his source code around his neck, it does not leave his person, or go into a computer that is hooked up to the internet.

He has said that his code is on a USB memory drive of some sort.

Valve has done this to themselves, and I believe that this little conspiracy thing could be real close to the mark, they continued to say September 30th right up to a week before, then changed it to the holidays, there was no way that they were gonna make it and they knew it.

I think that this was done from the inside, and probably on purpose, their marketing department is Brilliant, they want HL2 in the public eye for as long and as much as possible, so doing this on purpose would not be at all beyond them.

Just enough code to make a splash, but not enough to do any real damage, but enough to be able to push it out with a great excuse.

quote:

Originally posted by Most:

Yeah i hate to turn this into an argument, but lets look at the facts too. If the guy who wrote that would sit back and
think
for a minute, one of the biggest points that i think has already been made is HOW could that happen.

Quite easily. There was a serious lapse in security on Valve's network and this happened. And I know exactly how it happened because I've been going back and forth with Gabe and co in the past few days as we in the dev community attempt to figure out if our (mine are fine) systems are compromised similarly.

This conspiracy theory is a load of bollocks. Nothing more, nothing less.

Conspiracy theories are far fetched to say the least. It doesn┬┤t matter to the company if they launch the game this year or the next and they don┬┤t have to run around the bush about it either. They will sell this game in thousands and thousands, given the huge HL & CS community out there.

I don┬┤t think anybody could've imagined this to happen, to steal a source code of Half Life 2!?!

News flash:

A break in was made into Fort Knox last night. The thieves went to the 13th floor down below, broke into vault #3010 and stole the source code of UC. (thats where you keep it, right?).

According to private Doe Johnson, in her majesty army of Great Britain & Sons, (who happened to be there by accident 'cause he got lost trying to find his way back home by digging him self across the Atlantic ocean), "I don┬┤t understand this, they didn┬┤t even touch the gold bars. They just went straight at the vault, and escaped through my tunnel.

All I know is that they were sponsored by someone or something called Shirley, that┬┤s what was written on the wall anyway, Game, flame in Shirley name.."

Thats it. Time to get my head examined...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by Most:

Yeah i hate to turn this into an argument, but lets look at the facts too. If the guy who wrote that would sit back and
think
for a minute, one of the biggest points that i think has already been made is HOW could that happen.

Quite easily. There was a serious lapse in security on Valve's network and this happened. And I know exactly how it happened because I've been going back and forth with Gabe and co in the past few days as we in the dev community attempt to figure out if our (mine are fine) systems are compromised similarly.

This conspiracy theory is a load of bollocks. Nothing more, nothing less.

Conspiracies aside, I'm sure I can speak for every one here (I think)in the BC community that we are 100% behind them and their game and look foward to whenever it is released. And thank them for taking the risk and working their butts off putting together an awesome looking game. I myself am sure that this game is going to be a great seller and smash hit irreguardless of the source code fracus. Since you are in contact with them maybe you can pass these sentiments along to them I'm sure they can use it being that they are feeling violated not to mention the heat from all sides about this.

Something tells me that this would constitute "justifiable homicide," should they ever find the person or persons responsible for this. Which do you think would be worse for them, being someone's prison byotch, tarred, feathered, and beaten with bamboo, or death by sock puppet suffocation?

I wouldn't at all be surprised to learn that Valve does have some kind of conspiracy regarding the source leak. I'm not terribly concered about the supposed delay, either. Gives me more time to upgrade my PC. Although the ATI+HL deal may give me the inspiration to retire that GeForce 3 I'm running now.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Anyone remember the Falcon 4 source debacle?

Anyway, and so

Nope didn't even know a thing about it till now even though I do have the game. Ah, why don't they just give this thing a rest already sheesh. Even if according to the statements on that site the game was not finished, who's buisness is it other than Valves, Vivendi and their finances. Sure us Half life fans will be dissappointed we have to wait a little longer. What would rather have a unfinished buggy game that came out on the promised released date or wait a month or two for a perfect game?