Goodbye computer games

JoeyGuppy

Well I've decided that I will no longer buy any new computer games. After stoping buy the mall and looking at the latest games around i figured that it was no loger worth my time and money to play games on the computer. There are just to many buggy things in new games, I have a slow computer that can't run half of all new games, Most new games need 3d cards which i don't have. If i wanted to 'upgrade' so i could play all these new games it would cost way too much to be worth while. I will still be play games on playstation and will get a playstation2 when it comes out and hope that There will be a battlecruiser game for one of those systems. I will also play old games that work on my computer that i find laying around the internet but mostly just to remind myself how much better things use too be in the computer gameing field. Ahh well Thats it for now... I'll still stop by this site on a regular basis and check up on BCM progress but i won't be able to enjoy it when it comes out.

Good bye Computer Games frown.gif

( it's to early to wake up and now i have to go to work Ahhh!)

Bah!

I'm still on a p133 for crying out loud!

I'd prolly keep using this too if BC:M's requirements weren't so high biggrin.gif

Damn BC:M screen shots keep seducing me to buy a new computer. And I'll probably give in, hehe

------------------

GCV-Transcendence

Death before Dishonor

1 Ghz - yes. I just saw a 1Ghz Dell Dimension. Sweet! I did a benchmark comparing it to an overclocked system I was building. In Quake 2, high detail software mode 1024x768the Gigamine scored 23.8 fps. Compare that to my Celeron 300a at 450 which only gets 14 fps. Surprisingly, a Pentium III 600e that I overclocked to 828 mhz scored almost as well as the Gigamine, coming in at 23.0 fps. I believe that it would actually score higher than the Gigamine if I get faster RAM.

I'm so addicted to gaming that I couldn't possibly give it up. Not 5 minutes goes by without images of some game I've played lately flashing through my head... I'd get 5 meters from the computer and then collapse into uncontrollable spasms, destroying any nearby furniture and scaring everyone! UWA HAHAHAHAH!

------------------

Cmdr. Parias

Spectre Fleet

Chief Engineer, Starstation Destiny

ICV-Galatae

Staff member at HardNews

"I took this job because I just really love to blow sh*t up!"

I bought my P3 only last summer -- prior to that, I had a 486/66. Since I could no longer run any of the newer PC games (for at least 2 years), I started playing my first love -- board games!

As a teen-ager in the 1970's, I played a lot of the Avalon Hill or SPI strategy board games (chit-pushing). If you want to give up PC games, try conflict simulation (consim) board games. There are many solitaire games, as well as multi-player games out there on just about any topic imaginable. You can find anything on Ebay these days.

Ahghagha What did i say.... Well i just looked over all the BCM Screen Shots and mabye i buy just one game. Er.. also its not way to early and I've noticed that there aren't that many great console games ethier.

I've decided to give up crack instead of games...at least for now.

I used to play Warhammer 40K Epic series when I was a teen with two X-Marine buddies of mine. That was an awesome game, but very very time consuming to play out (loved the Eldar and Chaos army :)

As for computer games... if I stopped playing those Id have to go back to reading fiction or someting...

hmm i have a 133 too. but since im working I can updrade anytime. just a problem of from who. i've decided generic because i dont know where big name companies get their prices from...they must put on an extra 400 u.s for service smile.gif

cause looking at list prices for components it just doesn't add up.

as for the forum being changed around, the thread starting post is still at the top for me.

------------------

Commander Cruis.In

Spectre Fleet

CEO, Sygan Star Station

ICV Defiance

"Dare to be defiant"

• 2 months later...
Guest aramike01

Illegal! Illegal activities?! *Yawn*

Bedtime for me! biggrin.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Michael Kristophers

Spectre Fleet

Commanding Officer, Spectre StarStation

ICV-Intrepid

"You won't get the Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole!"

That underdogs site looks kinda shady to me.

The word Pirates comes to mind.

------------------

Cmdr. Canuck

UCV Iron Fist

I can't go to work today,the voices keep saying

"Stay home and clean the guns!"

for some of them it does, but for others they are sooo old I'm not sure smile.gif

------------------

Cmdr. Antilles

Spectre Fleet

Spectre Starstation

ICV- Eclipse

Chief Security Officer

Learning is not compulsory... Neither is survival.

quote:

for some of them it does, but for others they are sooo old I'm not sure

That's what I was thinking. I saw stuff that I still own for my old Apple //e. I saw stuff that I still own on 5.25 floppies. I have my original boxes and manuals and disks for all my old games, but I just can't run them on today's computers. I'm talking eight to ten years old, if not older.

This site also had games that are still available for sale, but instead of letting you download them, they point you to the seller's site for those games. And they also have games available by permission of the authors.

They say that they are preserving games that are "underdogs" in their opinion: games that didn't sell well but were excellent for their themes or innovative for their time.

Guest aramike01

Steve, could you email me the link? I think I'll do a little research into it and see if it's legal or not. It all comes down to whether or not the publisher of these games have given permission for the games to be given away.

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

I noticed that on some of the game discriptions it says that it is a "fully cracked version" which says unauthorized copy to me.

------------------

Cmdr. Canuck

UCV Iron Fist

I can't go to work today,the voices keep saying

"Stay home and clean the guns!"

Question: When it says "fully cracked," does that mean that it just bypasses the old 1980's style of copy-protection, which was to prompt for words from the manual or some decoder ring? Remember, I'm talking about games that were made for 386 computers with 8-16 meg of ram. SVGA graphics defined state-of-the-art at the time.

Many (if not most) of these games were written for the Apple, Amiga, Mac, and IBM AT machines. These images were converted to run on today's Pentiums.

I certainly want to do the right thing, and like I said in an earlier post, I own versions of these games that were dedicated to earlier platforms. So what does one do here with these primitive classics?

Guest aramike01

As I said to you in an email, Steve, I don't think legality is the problem of the site. Rather, it's the individual users who have to decide.

Can anyone say, Napster?

------------------

Spectre Fleet

ICV-Intrepid

I've been going to that site for awhile now and they usally take down a game if the publisher request them to. I think there doing a nice thing i found a lot of old C64 games that i used to have thourgh that site or a link on that site. They also take down games if they get rereleased. I'm sure it is somewhat ilegal but at least they arn't buting up games that just hit the shelves.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like an alright site to me most of the games there i might just pay a Dollar for anyways if they wanted to still sell them in the stores.Keeps the old games alive which says alot about the companies that sell these games.

BTW new game out called Shogun Total War,anyone try this one yet ?, Bought it last week and i must say ive seen nothing like it ever, may just set a new standard for the war gaming community. I have to give it a 10!