Swat 4 tech probs and question.

Guest Grayfox

Guest Grayfox

ok loved swat 3 so i picked this one up yesterday. so far im encountering this prob: i install the game everything installs fine. i go to run the ganme and my monitor turns off! :wtf: i hear sound for a few secs, then the monitor turns on and i see the opening movies, then when it goes to the main menu, my monitor turns off again and it wont come back on... i hear sound again, and im sure im in the main menu cause when i move my mouse around, i can hear mouse over sounds...

very frustrating especially since i easily meet the recommended system reqs... ive tried new vid drivers, old vid drivers, redid my exceptions on my firewall (as the tech support forums suggested) turned off my firewall altogether... im stumped. anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? i dont know why it would be my vid card, the game "supposedly" supports nvidia ti 4200 and up... im thinking it might be my sound card, cause i do have an older SB live card, and the drivers are almost 2 yrs old (the newest one), but i never heard of a sound card conflicting in a way where it turns your monitor off...

any suggestions would be helpful.

Guest Grayfox

haha thats funny, cause one of the movies that plays is the "nvidia... the way its meant to be played" one... too funny, ill have to move on to plan B then...

Guest Grayfox

plan b worked... it was the nvidia prob... thankfully i have some extra parts around here and really turned this thing into a frankensteins monster. as much as i dislike the customer service of ati, i needed an upgrade and decided to go with the 9550 128MB AGP.

the game s actually pretty good. now that i can play the damn thing

• 1 year later...
Guest Grayfox

ok im going to revive this old thing instead of cluttering up forum space with another thread...

ok i went for a vid card change (see my profile) and got the Nvidia Ge"farce" 7600 GS 512MB AGP vid card... i also have the latest drivers for the card (ill explain more on this in a sec)

ok 1st thing is if i try to watch a video or movie clip using either WMP or realplayer, i automatically use 99% of my cpu power and everything becomes choppy as hell... its like im getting 1/4 FPS... its crazy. BUT if i watch a vid like youtube or something embedded in a webpage, it runs just fine.

second problem is the same problem with SWAT 4. when i go to start either Age of Empires 3 or Star Wars Empire at War, the monitor turns off, and doesnt come back on. i can hear the menu music and everything, its just my monitor doesnt turn back on... now would this be a driver issue? or would it be a probelm with my monitor? i have a generic run of the mill 1024x768 max monitor i got from best buy.

as for drivers, for some reason i cant roll back drivers. every archived driver i try to install (i even went back to the 77 series drivers)says it cant find the hardware to match the driver software... would someone be able to drop a nugget on me and tell me wtf the problem could be? cause i went out and got another ati card, the 256MB x1300 AGP and im going to install it tomorrow and update my profile accordingly.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thx in advance

Ok first off Grayson, thats how ATI cards WORK. They always do that, it's not the MONITOR that turns off, more it's the card recognizing that it's actually being used for something other than displaying your desktop.

My screen does that to every game I play, it's not a bug or a problem, it's how it was designed.

NOW! If there is NO screen showing up after the ONE to THREE second black out THEN it has somethign to do with the game. (provided your drivers are up to date.)

Been using ATI for years now and never had a problem, although I've also solved many other's.. so just let me know if you need further help

Guest Grayfox

lol thats why i went back to ati... i have no probs whatsoever with their products... im just curious to know why nvidia has such a problem with my system. the last nvidia card i used did the exact same thing. i mean it wont even run universal combat...

as for the screen going blank and my monitor shutting off, its stays off... ive waited a few minutes and nothing... ive tried turning my monitor off then back on using the switch when that happens and nothing. but its only with certain games that it does that... company of heroes and call of duty 2 work just fine. AoE 3, SW: EAW not so much. and the thing with not being able to roll back the drivers really gets me.