F.E.A.R.

Cruis.In

OK, I've played enough of it to say it's a pretty damn good game.

Now I'm not the type to scare easily, movies don't scare me and games definitely never scare me, until now. This game has got some great tense and scary moments. I recommend anyone that can get their hands on it and play it with decent performance do so.

I went so far as to update my rig to make it more playable, few games have earned that distinction over the years.

This one's a keeper.

The game runs pretty good on my system. Especially when you let the game auto-detect the best graphicsettings everything runs smooth with no stuttering at all.

Only when I turn on the soft shadows and volumetric lighting the game tends to stutter once every 5 minutes. The game still runs fluid with all options maxed out, but when a new scripted event is being loaded or when you enter a new sector in a level, I get 3 fps or so for about 10 to 15 seconds. Then, when it's loaded, the game runs flawlessly again. I also suspect the shadows are being pre-loaded. Shadows and soft shadows are the most demanding graphic settings in this game.

I don't think 8MB cache on a harddrive will solve the problem. I have a 16MB cache SATA HDD myself and run a clean Windows installation with 1GB of dualchannel RAM on a Asus A8N SLI mainboard with an AMD 64 3500+ CPU and a GeForce 6800 256MB card. There are just a few settings that cause these hiccups, namely volumetric lighting and soft shadows. If you don't want the hiccups, turn those options off, otherwise, learn to live with it or buy yourself 2 7800 cards in a SLI setup or next-gen ATI cards in a crossfire setup. I like the graphics so much, I leave them maxed out and take the stuttering every 5 minutes or so for what it is.

I think it's a fun game! And usually, I don't even like linear, scripted FPS games...

Haggis, Those pauses you get are because it's loading new textures etc from disk. Like I said, using a good defrag program and having it rearrange your files by ACCESS (this places frequently accessed files together and at a spot on the HD where they can be read quicker) will stop the problem. Although if the game is on the same partition as the rest ofyour files it may not work as well, which is why I set it up on it's own partition. Partition Magic rocks .

After doing this I haven't had a single loading hitch or pause in the game and that's a huge improvement.

Cruis.In

Yes, I created a separate partition just for FEAR. You need at least a 5gb partition, but add a little extra to be on the safe side. I don't get any stutter even when I use max textures (of course I had the gig of RAM too)

As for a partition manager program this one is free, but just be sure you are careful when using it.

I usually have one large partition that I install all of my games on, but in this case, given the hitching from all the disk access, I decided to isolate the game.

BTW, I've used O&O for UCAWA too and it made a HUGE difference in the load times and game performance. In this case I just defragged my regular games partition, installed UCAWA, then defragged it using the NAME method (it alphabetizes files in order on the disk). After I did this UCAWA load time was about 5 seconds compared to the 15 or 20 as before.

When you install it, make sure you defrag the ssytem.

Mine run's tried and true and I have little problems (getting the game to RUN is a problem, because for some reason it hates it when the DVD is already in the drive, I'll go to black screen and then the game will stop responding, yet if I remove the DVD and start the game, then insert it when asked; the game will run )

Either way the game was worth the $49 I paid,

Although they could've toned down the langauge a bit, there's no reason to have someone say the F word in every blasted sentence.. (sighs) oh well

The game's worth the $49 if you have the rig to run it, as this game is best played with everything at max (Which my computer can handle )

Thing is, upgrade to two gig when you can, I found it vastly improves performance.. and upgrading to two gig ram doesn't cost much either (only costed me $120, and thats for CORSAIR GAMING RAM, 1 Gigabyte that is )

• 1 month later...