Infinity: The Quest for Earth

Cruis.In

you have GOT to check out this one.

http://www.fl-tw.com

read the faq.

Derek, Forgive my ignorance, but I believe what he is speaking of is done in UC and previous battlecruiser games right?

Basically he is saying that through coding, he will procedurally generate planets surfaces, instead of pre made designed artwork or content.

Something similar to what starflight did with the fractal generator, the main difference being graphical. where as years ago it was like starflight, not the grapihcs are photo realistic almost.

Anyway to me, this is what I imagined any game like star trek online would do, and not create and craft each planet.

IMO Procedural programming will be only reasonable solution on creating huge contents on space sims like that(or Derek's games). What I fail to see is how it will work on multiplayer context. What if two players meet each others on same planet, but both will get different view of the planet's surface?

Anyway, seems like funny game, good to see another attempt to create a perfect space sim.

Im looking forward to see some trailers and demos.

-v

there are videos in the media section, did you try them? there is also a playable multiplayer battle test at 70 megabytes. I don't think it has sound though.

seriously check the video section, look for the winner of the trailer contest for the battle test. its a cool video.

• 3 months later...

The technology seems impressive, but who knows what will happen to it once you have thousands of players in it. Eve is planning an upgrade which will allow walking on stations, and eventually landing on planets and building communities there and so forth. Who knows, maybe EVE will buy the technology from these guys to speed that process along, it's not like there's THAT big of a demand for another Space MMO. One of the problems that I see with this though, is that they're talking about Billions of planets and Millions of systems, well EVE already has thousands of systems and most of them are deserted. You only see maybe 1 to 10 people in local in about 95% of the systems. There are very few systems like Jita that has 5-700 people at a time, and usually when it's over 600, it's a lag fest. At any rate, with THAT many systems, there will definitely be a social problem in the game, with not enough people congregating in one place. MMO Games are social events, with the game garnering the most player interaction being the one that wins, and I just don't see how a game with Billions of points of interest would reach any kind of critical mass.

I don't like Eve in any way shape or form. I'm not into playing a spreadsheet set in a space universe. If Eve were a twitch based regular space combat sim, I would have been interested. But when it first came out, I peeked, threw up and swore never to go back.

As for the millions of planets and all that crap, the only reason why people tend to tout them is for stupid reasons. Even my game universe which is vastly smaller when compared to 'millions', most gamers who have been around since BC3K, probably don't even know where half the places are. Though they have a map.

This is exactly why I have no intentions of expanding my game galaxy. At least not for the next decade.

As to Eve and walking in/on stations and landing on planets, I bet that it will be a half-assed attempt like SWG because there is only so much that you can do within the confines of the original code, before you start kludging things in. Seriously, whats the point of landing on a planet if you can't get out? In order to get out, you need a full blown fps engine. I wish them luck though.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

Combat prototype 2.1 released. have not tried it yet.

I gave it a try. Not bad at all for a demo. Easy to pick-up and play. Newtonian physics the way I like them.

I did get my ass served in a dogfight though.

My shuttle runs to a nearby asteroid field were more successful. Landing on a moving object is always a bit tricky, but it's nicely implemented here.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on for future developments.

Walking on stations in Eve?

That should prove hilarious.

because in Eve, if you get out of your ship, someone will come along and steal it.

Theft seems to be the main choice for making a living without really working for it. It's been like that since before day one and every stop gap measure put in place to curb it, has been a lesson in futility and a waste of programming time.

I give it another year at best before everyone gets bored with it and it gets the axe.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

.... As to Eve and walking .... In order to get out, you need a full blown fps engine. I wish them luck though.

Actually, a friend of mine went to the Fan Fest in Iceland and they already have the FPS engine. If they really wanted to they could implement it tomorow, but they're adding a bunch of things to it before it's ready to go. One of the things they're going to be doing with it is adding logic that makes your character "Look" at the person they're talking to, or if you're not talking to anyone and someone approaches you, you look at them as you would anyone that normally approaches you in real life. In other words, if you're passing someone in a hallway, you tend to glance at that person as you pass them by. In your typical SWG character, you could pass someone buy, talk to them whatever, you still have the same blank stare in your eyes. Not here, they're trying to make it more "life like". It's actually pretty cool when you think about it.

At any rate, from what I hear, when it first comes out, you're just going to be able to go into the stations, lounge around in the VIP areas of the Bar, (you are after all a "revered" Capsuleer, the creme de la creme of society) and basically just socialize with others. Once they flesh out the problems with the FPS engine, they will implement code to allow fights and things like that, then expand from there to the planets and everything.

quote:

Originally posted by Wolferz:

I give it another year at best before everyone gets bored with it and it gets the axe.

That's what everyone said last year, when they had around 80K subscribers and now they have 200K subscribers. As a matter of fact people are paying $500.00 and more for characters that have already been trained to do what they want in the game. Check out Ebay.