Win95 Compatability Mode

Darkling

I run WinXP and I've noticed that sometimes when I have Xfire running, I get a CTD in UCAWA, so I figured I would try running the game in Win95 Compatibility mode (to give it better memory protection). The first thing that I noticed is that when I go down to the planets, the response times are MUCH better and I don't get the usual lag that I've been getting when I go down to the surface. I was wondering if anyone else has tried this and what results you're getting.

Not really a Tech support thread, so I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this.

You're right that its not tech support related. Had you put this thread there, it would have been deleted and you WOULD have been banned for obvious

reasons. One of which is, you are not supposed to be running ANY third party apps when running the game. Its bad enough that it is already a resource hog.

Some of you silly gits never cease to amaze me.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

you are not supposed to be running ANY third party apps when running the game. Its bad enough that it is already a resource hog.

I thought X-Fire was supported to run with the game? or is that only in MP? At any rate, I switched it to Win98 Compatibility mode and the game has never run better. I Transported down to an enemy base with a bunch of Marines and MAN was that fun!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Well, the answer SHOULD be obvious. WIN98 uses far less resources than WinXP. So, that leaves more resources for the game.

Yeah, went back to Win95 Compatibility mode, that seems to work best. At any rate, I told my cousin about it, but it didn't work so well with him, probably becuase he only has 256Megs RAM and I have a Gig. From what I understand about Compatibility mode, WindowsXP sets up a protected session that doesn't share memory with the other apps, so I guess for it to work as well as it does on my system you need a lot of memory. At any rate I was playing all day yesterday, took over 4 stations, only once had a ctd, when some intruders were on board, other than that, no slowdowns, even when going down to the planet surfaces.