Why does the enemy explode unexpectedly?

canshow

Yes well, i was wondering why they explode unexpectedly? I've seen it atleast twice in 1 hour.

One i was chasing down, and he just exploded without taking damage.

The other one i was going for cloaked, but i still went it's way. It de-cloaked 40m or something away from me. A minute later, it just blew up. No damage either.

Why does this happen? The Battlecruiser that blew up was heading towards a jumpgate. The Aestrom that decloaked was RTBing to a starstation in Pluto.

BTW, i would edit some things out, but apparently im limited to backspace and enter in these little boxes where i type. And random text deletions.

@SC: I'm not sure this was the case. The ship explodes without taking any damage. One had full armor and health.

@Others-

Well for the battlecruiser, i was mistaken. It was an armored transport. I got it to 20% of it's hull and it had jumped away before i could kill it. I sent some FCs in the system to get them. But they RTB'd before they could shoot it. I was gonna send out my FCs till it randomly exploded. So it could be what SC had said happened.

As for the Aestrom, i was near a starstation. I was done engaging a different target until it spawned and was jumping to the station. I sent an FC to mop up the BC i had almost killed. Then i headed for the Aestrom. By the time i traveled 20m, it had cloaked, but it had launched a couple of fighters right before. I shot a few missiles at the fighters as my FC was close to docking. I killed them both and continued to head to where i thought the Super Carrier was.

A little later, it de-cloaked quite some distance from me. By the time i got to 40-43m range of it, it exploded randomly. I saw the explosion on the video display. It was not damaged, at all. It was RTBing to the starstation.

That's about as detailed as i can get, other than telling you what color it was.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure i follow you SC.

Because some ships i see explode a minute after they spawn, and some after 10 minutes of idling in space.

Do some ships spawn with their reactors already degraded/at breaching point? If not, can NPCs get intruders onboard like the player does, and could those be the problem?

Or is there something you put in the coding that gives a ship some % chance of having their reactor instantly breached or explode?