Technical Questions about laptops

I am looking for a laptop, and the least expensive seem to be the Celerons.

I have no idea where the Celeron Benchmarks are compared to an ADM k6-2 or a PentiumII or a Pentium III.

I am a sales rep, and the fact is I want to be able to play BCM on my laptop while I am on the road, I also want a DVD etc.

Now, my questions for you commanders are:

Which processor would be the best for me? and do any of you recommend a certain brand of laptop that I may want to take a look at. I do not want to spend a mint, but I am clueless as to what computer I want, AND I NEED HELP!!!

I want performance, but I need it as inexpensive as possible, 1000 to 1500 bucks.

Thanks in advance!!

Don't want much do you?

Do a quick web search or search the MFGs site of those chips and you can get some comparisions. Keep in mind that motherboard, video card, sound cards, and memory can have major impacts on speed ratings.

You will get more bang for the buck if you go w/ a refurbished unit. Some refurbs come with the same warranty package as brand new units. Anyway, w/ that price range corners are going to be cut in what you get. You are going to have to choose which corners you are willing to clip. Each mfg and even different models will take a varied approach.

1. Warranty. Most companies require the laptop to be sent in for repairs. If that is the case, you are looking at 2 to 5 weeks for a repair. Dell, for the Insperon and Latitude series has on-site service, I don't know about the other mfgs. Laptop replacement parts are not at your local computer store.

2. Check the software requirements that you will be running for recommended/required hardware. Keep in mind that some laptops will only run specific operating systems. Just because it is new and runs ME doesn't mean that it will run 98se, NT 4.0 or Win 2000, Linux, etc.

3. DVD requires a decoder--hardware or software. Any laptop that comes w/ a DVD player will have a decoder, just verify what type it is. If it is using a software decoder then you need at least 128mb ram.

4. You mentioned sales. If you are running demos for multiple people with out using a projector then you are going to need a large screen with an active type display. The screen will need to be visible from any angle. Of course, that means privacy when using it goes out the window.

5. Check the video 'card' chipset as you won't be able to change out the card. You might be able to add more video memory.

6. Communications.... Need ethernet? Modem? Token Ring? These devices can be add via the PCMCIA slots.

7. Some laptops are thin and neat, but all devices are attached externally...IE cdrom/dvd and or floppy come seperately and are attached using an adapter cable.

Suggestion: Make a list of absolute requirements needed. That will limit the field of choices. Next, make a list of desired options and rank them from most important to least important. The laptop that fills the most requirements/options gets bought.

I have NO idea what exactly you need to use your machine for so am not going to say which laptop to get. However, I hope that the above suggestions will be helpful.

Happy Hunting!

What wold posted and ...

quote:

I want performance, but I need it as inexpensive as possible, 1000 to 1500 bucks.

Double this to 2000 to 3000 and ye just may find a brick (aka laptop) that will meet ye requirements.

TTFN

[ 04-14-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

NO! Don't let them talk at all get a list of laptops from different places including prices and Specs. Sit down and work out which one suits your needs best (dependant on what you want to run of course) you'll probably find that if a laptop is strong in one area (ie good CPU and memory) they've probably skimped elsewhere.

Unless you know and trust the salesman your dealing with, ignore them they are no use have very little, if any, technical back ground and usually are only thinking about how much comission they can get out of you!!

Good luck......

Your GOING to need it!