Beta testers?┐

Guest Jihad_Ace

Guest Jihad_Ace

Ok, I already searched the posts and found the one back in April about the new testers. But I was wondering about the open testing I heard about. Where anyone who has the v.2 can be a beta tester for 3024. I have been with this game for a long long time but have never posted anything on this board. Usually just read em. Sorta feel bad now. But anyways, I would pay to be a tester. As long as it wasnt much. he he. And Derek, You are an inspiration to me, to all my fellow Commanders, and to the gaming industry. I thought this game was filth at first but then you came through time and time again. I thought to myself. This guy has guts. I am about to go to college and I am going to be a computer engineer/programmer and maybee I will advance in aviation. You have gave me the courage to not give up. I have learned 3d Studio Max, Lightwave 3d, All of the diff versions of C and other languages. I never gave up till I learned how to fully use them. I think your talent has takin many who know about you, to heights they have never been before. After I graduate college, I would love to work beside you, if you are still doing this kind of stuff.

The Ace of Spades has only let me down once but I safely escaped, well, besides that stupid marine that got stuck on the toilet.

But thanks in advance for the advice you will give me.

Man I love this.

Cmdr Jihad_Ace

The open testing for BC:3020AD is not out yet. It is a free download at no charge.

heh, knowing what I know, I'll be around for a long time. So, I'll still be here, doing just this, long after your first kid learns to walk. smile.gif

Thanks for your support.

Guest Antti Junkkari

quote:

So, I'll still be here, doing just this, long after your first kid learns to walk.

Be here after my first kid learns to walk and wow! Cool! biggrin.gif

------------------

Fleet Cmdr Junkkari at GCV-Karhu

Orion Fleet Leader

www.orionf.pp.fi

"Stand like a man!"

*sniff* And he'll have this wonderful man to look up to, so he can become a hard-core gamer just like his pappy!

*cough*

Uhh I guess I should put in a good question or something before this becomes a pointless (somewhat) thread.. uhh..

*cough*

Okay, thought of something..

What will we be able to do in the first release? Will there be online play? Just wondering what the details are if your willing to slip...

------------------

Parias

ICV-Galatae

"I took this job because I love to blow sh*t up!"

lol SC, I've got a few more words for him, but this is a family board, right? smile.gif WHEN will you release this prerelease test version? I want my 3020!!!! PLEASE!!!!! And god do I hope you're around for awhile, you create my dream games!!! I'm addicted!!! smile.gif Give me My FIX!!!! smile.gif

------------------

CMDR Jaguar

GCV Excelsior

This is not just a game, It's a life unto itself!!

• 2 weeks later...

well really i have been to a lot of beta testing sites and it says that you have a open beta test that was for download for free when i saw this sence i am a bc3000ad fan my heart skipped a beat wwhheennnn iss it going to be realised i can't wait to test that out after all i have read about it

Patience,Lad.

The beta of your dreams will be released at the right time (when SC says so, which is good enough for me smile.gif). Just make sure your system is up to the required specs. (I've just found out I can't put a k6-2 in my motherboard, so I'm very distressed right now frown.gif. I'll just have to save up and join the BC3020 party a little while after everyone else, so I don't really mind if SC takes his time, but even being unselfish, I'd much rather he gets every bug sorted out as much as possible and gets the reviews he deserves for what looks like being the game of the millenium.)

Anyway, take courage and remember that waiting for things does have its benefits!

TTFN

------------------

Commander Ben Zwycky GCV Svoboda

ISS Fleet

"Nakonec pravda vitezi" (in the end the truth wins)

Hey whatever the game is, I'm SURE my P233 w/ Voodoo 1 and 64 meg of ram will be able to handle it. It can handle just about any game out today with the detail cranked without having a heart attack (although I usually need to tone down the graphics a tad to make it playable >))..

I'm pretty confident....

Uhh..

Yea...

------------------

Cmdr Parias

ICV-Galatae

Hmmm..I've got a PII 266 with 64 and Voodoo 3 2000 and I feel rather dubious if it can handle 3020 all that well. However I'm to get some major upgrades to my system at the earliest by beginning of next year. I want to have a souped up system when 3020 hits the shelves!!

------------------

Commander Parker

GCV Exeter

ICQ# 38644032

"Gracy is Pregnant"

BC3020AD will require a 3D board with a minimum of 8MB texture memory. This means that all first generation boards are out of the picture. Sorry but 4MB texture memory boards are as old style as the P200 processor and 640x480 display modes.

The game will probably still run but don't be surprised when a lot of slow downs occur as a result of some serious texture trashing. Heck, the new BC alone has 3.2MB of textures, just by itself.

Gah... grah... r.....

*has a heart attack*

------------------

Cmdr Parias

ICV-Galatae

Jumpin' Jehosophats, BatMan! You know, since I've been back, All I've heard about is that Blasted VoodooIII Stuff! Has everybody forgotten about the Banshee? I was looking at the VoodooIII cards this weekend (I was out looking for an AGP Slotted CL Banshee) and couldn't help but notice that Both 3500 and 2000 VoodooIII boxes bragged about up to 60 fps in acceleration. Guess what? I had a CL

Banshee installed in my new system (PCI Banshee in an AGP MoBo, and got over 65 fps inside BC3000AD (Tacops Menu) and with this AGP Banshee, I just got 76! What's the big deal here? Well the Banshee, IMHO Outperforms that VOODOO III card at current time, at less than half the cost. Go Figure! Me, I'm sticking with what I know works! I'm through Ranting Now, SC! I'll shut up and get back into the game! biggrin.gif

------------------

Rattler, Spectre, Insurgent One

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Banshee, Shmanshee..... *gasp*

Rattler (and nice to have you have ya back), did you say 76fps? Shoot, Since I was getting 15 fps to 20 fps with my old software and then getting my Voodoo 3 2000 with 20-30 fps I thought I was doing good. Obviously not smile.gif. Hmmm...I wonder where the Insurgents are getting their new fancy hardware from?

Oh, and for those of us who can only get about 30fps max, lets remember that about 33fps and above you can't tell the difference between that and faster frame rates.

*looks around sheepishly*

Well, that's what I heard!!

BTW, SC, How big will the 3020 Beta download be?

------------------

Commander Parker

GCV Exeter

ICQ# 38644032

"Gracy is Pregnant"

I've got Pics to prove what I'm saying. No kidding, Banshee is the way to go right now smile.gif

check out: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/55...ast_cockpit.jpg and http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/5552/fast_tacops.jpg

Just remember Guys and Gals, "Ole' Rattler" would never intentionally mislead any of you. Any questions, Ask the SC. He'll back me up!

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

[This message has been edited by Rattler (edited 07-05-99).]

A Banshee is NOT the way to go. My understanding is that the core of the Banshee is the same as in a Voodoo3. I know that both chipsets use the same 2d engine. The only differences are:

1. Voodoo3 has 2 TMUs compared to 1 in the Banshee.

2. Voodoo3 runs at MUCH higher clockspeed (183mhz for 3500 compared to 100mhz for Banshee).

3. Voodoo3 3500 has faster memory

If there is a difference in performance between the Voodoo3 and the Banshee, it would be because of the drivers. However, Voodoo3 works with Banshee drivers and should get superior performance.

Currently, the fastest accelerator is a Voodoo2 SLI setup. The Voodoo3 3500 is just a bit faster than this, but in some cases may be slower because the SLi setup has 4 TMUs.

Actually, the best thing might be to get a Voodoo2 SLI setup. Last week Board manufacturer Creative Labs had a sale on their website. They were selling 12mb Creative Blasters with cosmetic defects and no box (but with warranty) for $50/each. So it would be possible to get SLi for just $100 --> Less than 1/2 the cost of a Voodoo3 3500.

Well, I've got to respect the opinions of all members up here, so I will not dispute your Opinions or Claims. Far be it for me to challenge your knowledge of chipsets. The only thing that I do know is how the Banshee performs for me. Someone out there with a VoodooIII setup, please get me some pics from inside your game, and post them up here to show your FPS.

Good Response Canusa. "Well Done!"

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

Rattler,

You've got me beat - Can only muster a 62fps in Tacops w/voodooIII. From the bridgeviewer glaring into blackspace 50fps and a quick run to Sygan with IOD and PTA blasting away fps drops to 28.

Like I said, I'll stick with what I know to work. I'd be interested in knowing how you other guys are coming out. My system specs are:

HP Pavilion 4540, 433Mhz Celeron, 64 Meg Ram,

8.4 GB HD, Riptide Audio, CL Banshee Blaster 16MB AGP, 40X CDRom. Think that about covers it. Let me hear from you.

SC, if this belongs in another forum, I'd be glad to move it.

Thanks Guys,

------------------

Official BC3K Tester

[email protected]

ICQ 12894104

*down on knees*

Could someone PLEASE loan me some $$$ to buy a Voodoo 3??

My stinking card ain't gonna run BC3020 good at all unless I'm very lucky.. problem is I'm fat broke, and I'm stuck saving up my money to 1) Get a new computer, 2) Buy OpForce and TeamFortress 2 when they're released and 3) Buy BC3020 when it's released. Oh and B5 as well..

*sigh*

Lets just hope I win the lottery or something....

*cries*

------------------

Cmdr Parias

ICV-Galatae

Though the thread has gone off topic (I think I'm to blame), I'll let it slide and just edit the topic later when I have time.

Anyway, the CPU and drivers play a major part in the performance of Voodoo cards.

I have a rig running dual V2s in SLI mode and they are faster than my V3 3000 on the same CPU (PII-400).

I too am pulling about the same numbers as Rattler buy peak out (using v2.08) at about

79fps and around 65fps on the BC3020AD kernel code. Anyway, since BC3.2K will run 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, anything about 33fps is good enough. Since it does not contain any DOS legacy code, it will be significantly faster than BC3K, especially using the new D3D and OpenGL (no software renderer this time around) renderers.

Parias, the game will run but you will have to remain at 640x480 and put up with some slowdowns in large combats. So, don't start crying yet.

Oh so basically what you mean is the game is meant to run best at higher resolutions then..

*sigh of relief*

------------------

Cmdr Parias

ICV-Galatae

Guest MrBeAr

Looks like you all are quite addicted

to 3dfx products. I myself am quite satisfied

with my tnt, and I will probably opt for a tnt2 or g400 max in the near future.

Anyway, my question is this, will bc3020 take advantage of textures larger than 256x256, will it utilize 32bit color, and what about bump-mapping?

Also, will the online edition include batcom?

Will it be a trial version, or a full version.

thanks

Why use Battlecom? Rogerwilco may have a 15 min time limit at the start, but it's free to register, and only takes 5 minutes.

Anyways I don't know why SC would incorporate either of those programs into Bc3k, when he could probably just quickly hack something together that would kick ass smile.gif The voice com software out there right now is far too limited for what you would expect in 3020 multiplayer... you couldn't do ship-to-ship communication or anything, it would just be hit the chat button and have everybody on the current channel listen to what you have to say..

------------------

Cmdr Parias

ICV-Galatae